Edmonton Cup winning games

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Terrific CBC Programming News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i'm sure everyone saw it between periods, but cbc is replaying the clinching games of all 5 stanley cups for the oilers and the boys on the bus over the next two weeks. they just flashed it on the screen quickly but it looked like every game day they show another one. awesome news. time to fire up the tivo.

June 7th 12:00 a.m. HNIC Classics: The Oilers Dynasty
Edmonton vs NY Islanders (1984) - Classic hockey games from the past.

June 8th 11:30 p.m. HNIC Classics: The Oilers Dynasty
Edmonton vs Philadelphia (1985) - Classic hockey games from the past.

June 9th 11:30 p.m. HNIC Classics: The Oilers Dynasty
Edmonton vs Philadelphia (1987) - Classic hockey games from the past.

June 10th 11:30 p.m. HNIC Classics: The Oilers Dynasty
Edmonton vs Boston (1988) - Classic hockey games from the past.

June 12th 12:00 a.m. HNIC Classics: The Oilers Dynasty
Edmonton vs Boston (1990) - Classic hockey games from the past

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What a fun game to watch tonight.

- love the old oOo center-ice design at Northlands... brings back memories.

- LOL at the guy kicked out of the game in the first period for throwing a cup at Duane Sutter ... oops.

- watching a young Coffey skate is awesome.

- 10 seconds into the game Bob Cole refers to Denis Potvin as Bryan Trottier as he's carrying the puck up the ice ... some things never change.

- no glass in front of the penalty box is just weird.

- does anyone have an explanation as to why Edmonton traded away Linseman that summer? ... huge clutch player, best pest in the game, huge playoff with 10 goals and the Cup GWG, and they deal him for a decent top-6 forward in Krushelnyski. Odd move to me.

- if that game was played today, it would've been ruined with about 15 PPs. Shocking what was let go.

- love 'Pat la Fontaine' ... I never realized his name was altered a bit from the start of his career. He looks about 14 years old ... cool to watch the first big moment for a HHOF guy.

- Paul Boutilier is only 20 and must've played 25 minutes in the game ... talk about a guy who never lived up to early promise.

- I'd forgotten that Moog won a Cup-clinching game. Certainly deserves more HHOF consideration than he's received.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leaf Lander said:
ok in the 83-84 clinching game vs the islander the oilers won 5-2

why did Moog play the clincher?
was fuhr injured?

Fuhr was hurt and Moog had to play the last 2 games

KingsFanInRI

Waiting 4 next year
Aug 27, 2005
Outside Providence
I so wish that DirecTV picked up CBC, TSN and NHL Network.

I remember where I was when the Oilers won the first Cup. I was at Dodger Stadium and they flashed it on the DiamondVision, and I may have been the only person who cared.

I was rooting for them to win (I have always hated the Islanders).

Ogopogo*

Leaf Lander said:
ok in the 83-84 clinching game vs the islander the oilers won 5-2

why did Moog play the clincher?
was fuhr injured?

Much like the Roloson injury where Bergeron checked a guy into him, Fuhr was hurt when one of his own players checked a guy into him, earlier in the series. I can't remember exactly who the player was that threw the hit, I would have to check my video archive.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Going to tape tonight's game. I missed the first 2 hours of last night's game because I didn't know about it being on....... Saw the last 6 minutes of the game and the celabrations though.

Cool stuff. You forget how much less equipment the goalies used to wear. They almost look tiny. And the total lack of Ads on the boards....

Did any team have board ads at that time in 1985? When did NHL teams start that and did all teams start that at the same time?

Ogopogo*

cup2006sensrule said:
Going to tape tonight's game. I missed the first 2 hours of last night's game because I didn't know about it being on....... Saw the last 6 minutes of the game and the celabrations though.

Cool stuff. You forget how much less equipment the goalies used to wear. They almost look tiny. And the total lack of Ads on the boards....

Did any team have board ads at that time in 1985? When did NHL teams start that and did all teams start that at the same time?

Yes, all teams began pretty much the same time. Back in those days, only international games had ads on the boards.

So many people say that today's goalies are great and goalies of the 80s were crap. :shakehead Give today's goalies the equipment of the 80s and you will be hard-pressed to find 3 guys that can keep their average under 3.00.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
I'm in NS. Watching the game now.

Gretzky has spent a lot of time backchecking in this first period. Gretzky 4 Selke!

Edit- Gretzky to Kurri, they score. Noice.

Last edited:

Ogopogo*

revolverjgw said:
I'm in NS. Watching the game now.

Gretzky has spent a lot of time backchecking in this first period. Gretzky 4 Selke!

Edit- Gretzky to Kurri, they score. Noice.

Gretzky was always underrated on his defensive game. He played with such passion and wanted to win. Sure he scored a ton but, if winning meant backchecking, he did it.

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
What did they do to Northlands to make it different, renovate it? Cause I notice back in the day theres just stairs to get to the second deck. Now theres a whole balcony.

Ogopogo*

reej said:
What did they do to Northlands to make it different, renovate it? Cause I notice back in the day theres just stairs to get to the second deck. Now theres a whole balcony.

Yes, there was a major renovation done in the late 90s.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Ogopogo said:
Much like the Roloson injury where Bergeron checked a guy into him, Fuhr was hurt when one of his own players checked a guy into him, earlier in the series. I can't remember exactly who the player was that threw the hit, I would have to check my video archive.

You'd think it wouldn't be mass suicide at the Oil boards because of this repetition of history

KariyaIsGod*

Tuomo#1 said:
I was impressed with Gretzky's defensive play in the Islanders game. I didnt know he was a legit defensive player......but maybe it was just one of those games.

No it wasn't.

As it was said, he is very underrated defensively. It's understandable considering his offensive output but it's also sad that people try and bash him untruthfully regarding his defensive player.

He was a stout penalty killer too.

He's no Selke winner, but he covered his assignments and what was great was that he'd often be breaking out ahead of the play. It had nothing to do with cherrypicking tohugh, he simply was so good at anticipating the play.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Leaf Lander said:
They won the cup when furh got injured they can only hope that they do as well this time.

They won with both Moog and Ranford when Fuhr was injured. Of course the 2 back-ups they have now aren't Moog or Ranford. But I hope they can take the 2 at home and make it a best of 3.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I watched the '87 Final last night and I wished I had seen '84 and '85 games. Did anyone tape these games and put them on a DVD/VCD? I'd be interested in a copy of them. Barring that does anyone know where I can download a copy of these games in their entirety as shown on CBC? I want the post-game stuff, not like the version that ESPN Classic Canada shows.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
When did Hextall slash Nilsson. I thought it was in game 7 1987 final but it didn't happen. When did it happen? Anyone know?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad