Proposal: Edmonton- Columbus

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
To Edmonton: Kevin Stenlund + Trey Fix-Wolansky

To Columbus: Jesse Puljujarvi

Blue Jackets have a bit of depth on offense today.

Edmonton need depth on offense.

A potential win-win trade. A few tweaks can be done of course, conditional draft pick can be added.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
These are my two main teams so I suppose I should evaluate this.

Puljujarvi - A still valuable RW prospect. Not a huge talent but still useful. He only really struggled in his final year in Edmonton when he needed double hip surgery. Prior to that he was okayish. There were character concerns and his play was raw and unorthodox, but the on-ice results weren't bad at all. Likely returns and becomes a middle six RW, perhaps as soon as 2020-21. The bigger issues with him are whether he's speaking English, fitting in, eating right, is he coachable, etc...

Stenlund - At this point a 4C and a good PP option. Stenlund is a big strong guy with very soft hands and a wicked shot. He is also a bit sluggish and tends to disappear offensively from time to time. He is hard to evaluate because he was known as pure offense when he was drafted, and this year in the NHL he was pure defense at 5v5. He had very good defensive results by every metric I've seen, even relative to the Jackets as a team. The scoring was just PP though.

Fix-Wolansky - TFW is still a bit of a mystery box. He tore up the WHL, and he had 23 pts in his last 29 games in the AHL at age 20. His scoring pace is interesting to compare to Yamamoto. But he's also 5'6 and I really don't have a good sense of whether his game will translate. He's not a soft player, he's stocky and strong on pucks, there's nothing in particular beyond being 5'6 that is concerning. I just can't tell with small players. He could be playing on McDavid's wing someday or maybe he won't stick ever.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I can see Edmonton not wanting to play shepherd for Puljujarvi, and here they got a low-event 4C (actually a big team need in Edmonton, Khaira and Sheahan got caved in) and a wildcard RW prospect with some upside. I can see Kekalainen wanting to play shepherd for Puljujarvi. I can't see how he'll fit in the Jackets lineup soon. He'd be a RW on a team that has more than enough of them. Perhaps if Anderson is traded and Bemstrom is demoted for a season, then he might have some room.

So some things would have to change for the Jackets to be able to take JP. From the Oilers end I wonder if they would be better off with a veteran low-event C rather than a 2nd year C. Riley Nash is a low-event bottom-six C with experience and a popular glue guy. If the Jackets can eat a bit of salary then he'd be a perfect fit for the Oilers. My personal take on the Oilers is that if the UFA/RFA salary difference is negated then they benefit a lot from experienced pros who make the right play. Archibald - Nash - Chiasson would be a pretty good low-event line.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
These are my two main teams so I suppose I should evaluate this.

Puljujarvi - A still valuable RW prospect. Not a huge talent but still useful. He only really struggled in his final year in Edmonton when he needed double hip surgery. Prior to that he was okayish. There were character concerns and his play was raw and unorthodox, but the on-ice results weren't bad at all. Likely returns and becomes a middle six RW, perhaps as soon as 2020-21. The bigger issues with him are whether he's speaking English, fitting in, eating right, is he coachable, etc...

Stenlund - At this point a 4C and a good PP option. Stenlund is a big strong guy with very soft hands and a wicked shot. He is also a bit sluggish and tends to disappear offensively from time to time. He is hard to evaluate because he was known as pure offense when he was drafted, and this year in the NHL he was pure defense at 5v5. He had very good defensive results by every metric I've seen, even relative to the Jackets as a team. The scoring was just PP though.

Fix-Wolansky - TFW is still a bit of a mystery box. He tore up the WHL, and he had 23 pts in his last 29 games in the AHL at age 20. His scoring pace is interesting to compare to Yamamoto. But he's also 5'6 and I really don't have a good sense of whether his game will translate. He's not a soft player, he's stocky and strong on pucks, there's nothing in particular beyond being 5'6 that is concerning. I just can't tell with small players. He could be playing on McDavid's wing someday or maybe he won't stick ever.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I can see Edmonton not wanting to play shepherd for Puljujarvi, and here they got a low-event 4C (actually a big team need in Edmonton, Khaira and Sheahan got caved in) and a wildcard RW prospect with some upside. I can see Kekalainen wanting to play shepherd for Puljujarvi. I can't see how he'll fit in the Jackets lineup soon. He'd be a RW on a team that has more than enough of them. Perhaps if Anderson is traded and Bemstrom is demoted for a season, then he might have some room.

So some things would have to change for the Jackets to be able to take JP. From the Oilers end I wonder if they would be better off with a veteran low-event C rather than a 2nd year C. Riley Nash is a low-event bottom-six C with experience and a popular glue guy. If the Jackets can eat a bit of salary then he'd be a perfect fit for the Oilers. My personal take on the Oilers is that if the UFA/RFA salary difference is negated then they benefit a lot from experienced pros who make the right play. Archibald - Nash - Chiasson would be a pretty good low-event line.
You do realize Riley Nash refused to play for the Oilers right?

As for the OP, I wouldn’t personally do that trade as an Oilers fan. Would you accept Cooper Marody and Tyler Benson for Liam Foudy? No. But that’s kind of the equivalent.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I like Fix-Wolansky maybe more than I should but as Columbus you easily take that chance. Im not fully confident he reaches his potential but for that price and as a team begging for skill you need to go for it

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
If we have no plan to ever try Pulju on our roster, then this is the year to trade him for a pick (given the depth of this draft). A late 2nd seems about right value.

I’ll plead ignorance on these CBJ prospects, but initial responses don’t seem to support making this type of deal.

Even if the pick we get for Pulju gets flipped to jump up a couple spots (10-12 range) to secure one of Jarvis or Quinn, I’ll consider that a more worthwhile move.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Puljujärvi for 3 pucks. Thats all what you could get for player who isnt even near the NHL level.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
To Edmonton: Kevin Stenlund + Trey Fix-Wolansky

To Columbus: Jesse Puljujarvi

Blue Jackets have a bit of depth on offense today.

Edmonton need depth on offense.

A potential win-win trade. A few tweaks can be done of course, conditional draft pick can be added.
I like TFW and Stenlund is a useful 4th liner, but I feel like if I'm EDM I'd rather just roll the dice on JP being something.

His upside is still high and you can get Stenlunds and TFW's fairly cheaply.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->