Proposal: Edmonton-Calgary

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
what exactly Lucic has been enforcing lately?

McDavid and Draisaitl have been largely injury free with Lucic there. So there is that.

Players are more conscious about things like concussions and CTE, no one wants to get their face caved in by a Lucic, so there's a line that most teams don't even try to cross any more if they know they might have to answer the bell.

But I do think there is an impact, if you remove him likely you would see teams trying to do some crazier shit on those guys.

Whereas Neal if the dude's not scoring, he's basically completely worthless.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
McDavid and Draisaitl have been largely injury free with Lucic there. So there is that.

Players are more conscious about things like concussions and CTE, no one wants to get their face caved in by a Lucic, so there's a line that most teams don't even try to cross any more if they know they might have to answer the bell.

But I do think there is an impact, if you remove him likely you would see teams trying to do some crazier **** on those guys.

Do you really believe what you are spewing?? Seriously, just want to know.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Do you really believe what you are spewing?? Seriously, just want to know.

Easy for you to type when you're sitting behind a keyboard probably weighing 120 pounds, different story when you are the ice and have someone 6'3 wanting to rip your face off.

Most teams let McDavid and Draisaitl by and large do their thing, and in part I think that is because they don't want to do something too stupid because they know who is on the other bench, and no one wakes up going "yeah I sure would love to go home tonight with a welt on my head the size of a tennis ball".

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

But I do think there is an impact, if you remove him likely you would see teams trying to do some crazier **** on those guys.

try to learn the difference between correlation and causality

Reactions: Rockmorton

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
try to learn the difference between correlation and causality

If they're both gonna score at the rate they did last year, I'd take Lucic on my team over a Neal.

Neal is useless if he's not scoring, Lucic can at least be useful if a game is getting out of hand or a team is taking too many liberties.

I also seem to recall the Flames looked like they all shrank a good 2-3 inches (which is impressive for Gaudreau) across the board once one of the Avalanche players drilled Tkachuk hard and then no one on Calgary really seemed to want to physically engage with the Avs for the rest of the series outside of maybe Bennett.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
If they're both gonna score at the rate they did last year, I'd take Lucic on my team over a Neal.

Neal is useless if he's not scoring, Lucic can at least be useful if a game is getting out of hand or a team is taking too many liberties.

Do you have an example of this? What did Lucic do when McDavid fell down rushing to the net just because Gio gave him a mean look, and McDavid stayed on ice for few minutes before limping to the locker room

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Do you have an example of this? What did Lucic do when McDavid fell down rushing to the net just because Gio gave him a mean look, and McDavid stayed on ice for few minutes before limping to the locker room

Lucic wasn't playing that game. Case in point.

If you want an example, see the one I noted above, the Flames turkey was cooked after one of the Avs guys demolished Tkachuk and then the series start to shift rapidly from there.

It's still not ice capades on the ice, as long as that's the case, if I have a choice between two players who produce in the same ball park, but one is a lot more physical than the other, I'll probably take the physical guy.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Lucic wasn't playing that game. Case in point.

If you want an example, see the one I noted above, the Flames turkey was cooked after one of the Avs guys demolished Tkachuk and then the series start to shift rapidly from there.

So Oilers only have Lucic to protect McDavid. You better keep him, no need for any trade proposals

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Easy for you to type when you're sitting behind a keyboard probably weighing 120 pounds, different story when you are the ice and have someone 6'3 wanting to rip your face off.

Most teams let McDavid and Draisaitl by and large do their thing, and in part I think that is because they don't want to do something too stupid because they know who is on the other bench, and no one wakes up going "yeah I sure would love to go home tonight with a welt on my head the size of a tennis ball".

Lucic has no impact on the game whatsoever. The days of the goon have past. No one employs a 6M dollar goon. The game is built on speed and skill now.

Lucic has a lost a step and his skills have eroded. He can’t keep up. The game has changed and he is useless. Can’t skat, can’t pass, can’t receive a pass. He is an ahl quality goon.

Lucic has 4 years remaining with a 6M caphit. He is buyout proof. His nmc prevents you from demoting him to the AHL. He’s taking a roster spot from more capable younger players. His caphit has killed you in the free agency hunt. His nmc is killer for trades and requires you to protect him in expansion.

Looch won’t waive his nmc for fear of being demoted to the ahl.

This is the most toxic contract in the game and you know this. He is untradable. And for these reasons, He will remain an oiler until his contract is up.

Mic drop.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So Oilers only have Lucic to protect McDavid. You better keep him, no need for any trade proposals

Relative to Neal they both are way overpaid for way they bring to the table, but at least if he's not scoring Lucic brings other aspects that are still relevant to an NHL game.

Neal's contract is just as bad, maybe worse because of actual salary owing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lucic has no impact on the game whatsoever. The days of the goon have past. No one employs a 6M dollar goon. The game is built on speed and skill now.

Lucic has a lost a step and his skills have eroded. He can’t keep up. The game has changed and he is useless. Can’t skat, can’t pass, can’t receive a pass. He is an ahl quality goon.

Lucic has 4 years remaining with a 6M caphit. He is buyout proof. His nmc prevents you from demoting him to the AHL. He’s taking a roster spot from more capable younger players. His caphit has killed you in the free agency hunt. His nmc is killer for trades and requires you to protect him in expansion.

Looch won’t waive his nmc for fear of being demoted to the ahl.

This is the most toxic contract in the game and you know this. He is untradable. And for these reasons, He will remain an oiler until his contract is up.

Mic drop.

Tkachuk drop?

That's all fine and good that you think it's Barbie ice capades on the ice now, but especially in the playoffs, it's really not. Refs put away the whistles awfully quick.

Neal has 4 years left too at virtually the same cap hit but $7 million more in actual payable salary.

When he is not scoring he is virtually literally useless.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Relative to Neal they both are way overpaid for way they bring to the table, but at least if he's not scoring Lucic brings other aspects that are still relevant to an NHL game.

Neal's contract is just as bad, maybe worse because of actual salary owing.

I'm still trying to find out what Lucic brings other than his NMC.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm still trying to find out what Lucic brings other than his NMC.

Neither brought a lot last year, but a physical player is always going to more valuable than a non-physical player if neither are scoring much anyway.

James Neal does what exactly when he's not scoring? What exactly is he bringing to the table that he's owed more than $7 million more than Lucic for in actual money for the duration of his contract for?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Tkachuk drop?

That's all fine and good that you think it's Barbie ice capades on the ice now, but especially in the playoffs, it's really not. Refs put away the whistles awfully quick.

Neal has 4 years left too at virtually the same cap hit but $7 million more in actual payable salary.

When he is not scoring he is virtually literally useless.

And when Nea is scoring he is productive. Neal not scoring is still a better player than Looch.

Looch is a proven dud. Neal has had 1 bad season. The Flames are not trading him for a proven and toxic cap dump after 1 bad season. If he stinks next season they buy him out or Alzner him. They are not saddled with a nmc either. You can’t buyout or demote Looch which is beyond incredible..

No one is trading for Looch. No one

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And when Nea is scoring he is productive. Neal not scoring is still a better player than Looch.

Looch is a proven dud. Neal has had 1 bad season. The Flames are not trading him for a proven and toxic cap dump after 1 bad season. If he stinks next season they buy him out or Alzner him. The are not saddled with a nmc either. You can’t buyout or demote Looch which is beyond incredible..

No he's not, when Neal is not scoring he's completely worthless. In fact he's a liability because he makes errors.

And he hasn't been scoring. And he's turning 32. There's no guarantee at all his offence is coming back.

If he does not bounce back you have a contract with a lot more actual salary left on it that is going to be harder to dump in that case. He is owed a lot more money than Lucic going forward.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Neither brought a lot last year, but a physical player is always going to more valuable than a non-physical player if neither are scoring much anyway.

James Neal does what exactly when he's not scoring?

Pretty much the same as Lucic, except not having NMC. You can twist this any awy you want, but Lucic NMC and the expansion draft has a huge effect on his value. And it's not positive

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Pretty much the same as Lucic, except not having NMC. You can twist this any awy you want, but Lucic NMC and the expansion draft has a huge effect on his value. And it's not positive

Neal being owed a lot more actual money kinda tilts that scale back. His contract has a lot more actual money on it than Lucic's deal does.

NMC would be a bigger issue via the expansion draft if the guy literally didn't want to be in that exact part of the country, lol. He wants to be in the Vancouver/Seattle pacific northwest area.

The Flames should've front loaded the Neal deal, having the actual dollars stay the same throughout the contract was not smart.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Neal actually played decently through the last half of the season. He was almost .5ppg. His first half was a total disaster.

Neal has a much better chance of bouncing back at this point. He can still skate and keep up with plays. Neal will need another disaster season before he's in Lucic territory.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
No he's not, when Neal is not scoring he's completely worthless. In fact he's a liability because he makes errors.

And he hasn't been scoring. And he's turning 32. There's no guarantee at all his offence is coming back.

If he does not bounce back you have a contract with a lot more actual salary left on it that is going to be harder to dump in that case. He is owed a lot more money than Lucic going forward.

You are missing the point.

IF Neal is toast after next season, the Flames will likely buy him out or demote him to the AhL until the time is right.

What they won’t do is trade him for a proven toxic capdump / contract today. That would be idiotic. Looch has nothing to do with how the Flames will handle Neal this off-season.

Obviously the Flames will hold onto him to see if he rebounds.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Neal actually played decently through the last half of the season. He was almost .5ppg. His first half was a total disaster.

Neal has a much better chance of bouncing back at this point. He can still skate and keep up with plays. Neal will need another disaster season before he's in Lucic territory.

If he doesn't bounce back next year, his contract is worse than Lucic's no doubt about it.

More money owed makes it harder to move in that case.

He was horrendous in the playoffs too.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Neal being owed a lot more actual money kinda tilts that scale back. His contract has a lot more actual money on it than Lucic's deal does.

NMC would be a bigger issue via the expansion draft if the guy literally didn't want to be in that exact part of the country, lol. He wants to be in the Vancouver/Seattle pacific northwest area.

Lucic has NMC and you can keep on hoping he waives it, but until that happens, tough luck

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lucic has NMC and you can keep on hoping he waives it, but until that happens, tough luck

Maybe he and his family like -30 winters, lol, ok, but personally I'm not terribly worried that he wouldn't waive for say Seattle.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

James Neal does what exactly when he's not scoring? What exactly is he bringing to the table that he's owed more than $7 million more than Lucic for in actual money for the duration of his contract for?

Calgary simply buys out Neal if he is toast with significant cap savings. Looch can’t be bought out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad