Proposal: Edmonton - Buffalo

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Not sure how this turn into a Draisaitl vs Eichel thread .

I love Draisaitl but to compare him to Eichel is difficult. Draisaitl played with McDavid a lot until about 2 months ago . He still doing well/ great centring his own line . He been better then McDavid many nights this season . He is also smart enough to score 50 goals when he a pass first player .( had to change from a passer to a shooter)

Having said the above McDavid isn’t the easiest to play with but unless Eichel got a chance to play those same minutes with McDavid we will never know .

IMO Eichel is a bit better player over all . Does mean he would fit with McDavid . Value wise I think base on production and contract Draisaitl has slightly more value . I also don’t see Edmonton trading Draisaitl. He loves Edmonton.

2 great players that any team would be happy to have them . Both teams would rather keep the player the know . Plus American players don’t like Edmonton as a rule .

Reactions: TFHockey

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
No he's not.. he's just scoring more points. Eichel is the superior player and it's really not hard to figure out when you watch the two.

I don't think anybody is obviously better than Draisaitl right now, he's leading the league in points by a wide margin and has been consistently outscoring Eichel for years. It's important to note that Eichel is one year younger but even then Draisaitl scored at a better pace last year than Eichel is this season, albeit Eichel is close to the same pace (102 vs 105). Although it's equally if not more important to note when discussing value that Draisaitl is much cheaper and scores a lot more goals, which are generally (rightly or wrongly) valued more than assists.

He certainly has had more help playing often with McDavid but he's not playing second fiddle when he does and he's scored apart just fine including currently going supernova with Nuge and Yamamoto. I will admit Nuge is an outstanding linemate, better than Reinhart IMO who i like lots, but apparently Saber fans think Reinhart is better so we can call that a wash.

Certainly they're close in value/ability but in no way can anyone suggest Eichel is definitively better, heck we're becoming unsure if McDavid is all that much better. Eichel's only skill edge is in skating while Draisaitl is the better shooter and IMO the best finisher of scoring opportunities in the league when you consider his ability to make the right pass or shot when given a chance to score .

In summary Draisaitl is only a year older and Eichel has no recent evidence of being a more productive player or trending that way while having a much higher cap hit. I have no idea what the basis of your opinion is, other than "watching" which "apparently" will make me or anyone realize some other guy is better than a dude of similar age and physical ability who's leading the league in scoring by a dramatic amount. Currently i'd imagine most teams would value Draisaitl over Eichel or consider it a wash given his contract and production as at this point it's undeniable for anyone watching or informed to suggest he needs McDavid to be an elite producer.

Last edited:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
No, he's the player who plays more with McDavid right now. Eichel has never even had the luxury of playing with someone anywhere near as talented as he is, much less someone better...much less the best hockey player in the world.

If Eichel is playing with Reinhart who's apparently better than Nuge then that's a world class player, lets also consider that the 3rd wheel on the McDavid-Drai line earlier this season was Kassian who i'd suggest is a lot worse than Olofsson. Draisaitl has never had an elite dman getting him the puck as i'm sure Eichel plays lots with Dahlin who is certainly a much better offensive help at evens than Nurse/Bear or Klefbom is. Draisaitl btw has produced just as well away from McDavid and the PP was dynamite last game without him, which nobody who watches should be surprised by as Nuge and Draisaitl are both unreal on the PP as well. The reality is there's variables in favour of both guys producing more yet it's Draisaitl who's been scoring more and that's a fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad