Proposal: Edmonton & Arizona

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by rt, Apr 7, 2021.

1. rt Carson Bantle Fan Club Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    To EDM:
    Darcy Kuemper
    Jason Demers (50% retained)

To ARI:
    Mikko Koskinen
    Ethan Bear

Why does Edmonton consider this?
    -Mike Smith is on a helluva hot-streak. He does that. Sometimes he cools off. At age 39, he's bound to cool-off sooner or later.

-Darcy Kuemper has had injury issues, but when he's healthy he's one of the best goalies in the world. He's 9 years younger than Smith.

-Koskinen is not working out in Edmonton. His 4.5 million dollar cap-hit for Edmonton next season is an unwelcome gift from Chiarelli.

-The expansion draft is coming and Edmonton has some choices to make concerning their blueline. Ethan Bear could end up the odd-man out.

Why does Arizona consider this?
    -The expansion draft is coming and Arizona can't protect both Kuemper and Adin Hill. Bill Armstrong loves Adin Hill. He's been great.

-Koskinen can be exposed to Seattle in the expansion draft. If he clears, he can fill the role of experienced back-up for Adin Hill.

-The Coyotes have only two NHL defensemen under contract for next season; Jakob Chychrun and Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Both are Left D.

-The Coyotes have clawed their way back into a playoff position without the help of Kuemper and Bear can help them more than Demers.

Compliance
    - The remaining cap-hit/contract count is identical
    - The cross-boarder quarantine reduced to 7 days

Homesick, GOilers88 and Arctic Fox like this.
  2. ChaoticOrange Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Hockey related.
    I hate this.

I mean, it's probably fair. Kuemper's good, and not a rental - he's made of balsa wood and styrofoam, but he's good. I just really like Bear and don't want to move him at all.

I don't think goaltending is our biggest problem, though, and Koskinen has a .923 since Smith came back. His struggles are overblown.

3. rt Carson Bantle Fan Club Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    That makes it HOF worthy on HFB! ;)

4. Fourier Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It's actually a very well thought out offer. These are extremely rare on these boards. Like CO I really like Bear. But this is something that makes sense for both teams.

MayDayMayDay and Loki Dog 74 like this.
  5. voxel Go Condors!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The trade seems fair-ish but one of these assumptions is wrong.

Oilers don't have 4 forwards they'd want to protect if Nuge isn't re-signed. The forward group is that sad so they could go with 4-4.

And D-wise with Klefbom on LTIR and unsure about next season - we can protect 3 or 4 D easily. Nurse/Bear/Lagesson/Jones. If we re-sign Barrie or Larsson... that becomes a problem yes but losing a lower end forward or D like Lagesson/Jones won't hurt as much as losing Bear.

6. YP44 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    i don't think Bear is enough to get Keumper alone, than you add in the cost to take on Koskinen's deal plus Demers with retention.
    Edmonton adds alot here IMO

7. rt Carson Bantle Fan Club Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I’m a Yotes fan trying not to be too much of a homer. Maybe think of this more as a “base” of a deal.

8. ChaoticOrange Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Hockey related.
    Bear is excellent, he's not a piece Edmonton would move lightly, particularly with Larsson and Barrie both heading to UFA at the moment.

Definitely not adding to a deal we don't particularly want to make in the first place.

9. YP44 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    fair to be that big on Bear. i really like him to, i just don't think he is worth this from Arizona's POV.

10. Czechboy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    If you switched Jones with Bear I'd say yes but you don't need another LD and we do need RD.. our LD is deep for next season.. Nurse, Klef, Jones, Samo, Broberg, Russel and the guy we just sent back to the taxi squad (sorry, blanked... big Swede or Finn). Our RD right now is Bear and Bouchard.

How does Barrie for Kuemper straight up sound? I'd do that yesterday!

11. FightingIrish17 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I would think Edmonton declines. Bear is absolutely going to be protected in the expansion draft. The talented young D at risk of being the out-man out is Caleb Jones (and even then they may protect him).

Kuemper is a very good goalie. Koskinen is fine as a 1A/1B but he would need to go the other way because of Edmonton's salary situation. Edmonton needs to add, of course, but it isn't Bear.

I think in terms of Arizona, Edmonton may be more interested in Garland. Either as a trade option (Coyotes are rumoured to be open to trading him) or as an offer sheet this summer.

12. TFHockey The CEO of 7-8-0

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Bear is the best player in this deal. While Edmonton DOES need an upgrade in goal (Koskinen) and Kuemper is definitely an upgrade, he is always hurt or so it seems.

I'd aim for a healthier goalie with similar numbers.

Moose and Squirrel likes this.
  13. AddyTheWrath Marner got 11 mil?!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    None
    I'd do this if you switched Bear with Jones (and add a pick from Edmonton to Arizona to offset the value). Bear will likely be protected at the ED and like the poster mentioned above, Larsson & Barrie are both UFAs.

Jones is dirt cheap and can play on his off-side. Having a down year but has experience playing in the top 4. Would likely be left unprotected.

14. rt Carson Bantle Fan Club Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    There's kinda no such thing.

If you look at NHL goaltenders from 2017-2018 to today, with greater than 40 games played, there none with a better SV% than Darcy Kuemper. Zero guys with a better SV%. What about GAA for the same criteria? Two guys better. Rask by 0.01 goals against per game, and Bishop by 0.02 goals against per game. That's it.

And as injury prone as he is, he's still top 30 for all goalies in games played over that span.

15. McDoused Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It's close as an Oilers fan.

For me, it appears that the Oilers players dont have faith in Koskinen. The money in and out is the same for Kuemper and Koskinen who both have a year left on their deals. With the way Hill is playing it makes sense that Arizona would look to move him or risk losing him for nothing to seattle. Kuemper is an upgrade on Koskinen if he can play.

Now is the difference Ethan Bear? Maybe not but Edmonton does have Bouchard just waiting to play and could be expendable given his slump this year. I dont see the Oilers looking to develop both those guys on the right side going forward.

Demers can plug in for the playoffs and then that salary is off the books.

I'd probably do it but I'd like to see Edmonton address their 3C and LD first.

16. rt Carson Bantle Fan Club Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Unfortunately, I don’t think Barrie is a great fit. I like Barrie a lot. I’ve always liked Barrie a lot, even when that was unpopular. lol.

Thing is that we’ve got Chychrun and OEL on the left side. We’ve got nobody on the right. They need partners. Barrie is awesome but he’s not a good partner for either OEL or Chychrun.

I think Bear could be a good partner for either. I think Adam Larsson could too. But I don’t think Tyson Barrie is a great fit.

17. The Moose is Loose Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Med Student
    As others have said I think OP did a good job making it fair value, but I don't think you'd find many GMs willing to trade a young 2nd pairing RHD for a goalie with an extensive injury history (even if that goalie is very good).

I think Edmonton would say no, but not because the value is off.

RasmusAndersson and TFHockey like this.
  18. rt Carson Bantle Fan Club Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I wouldn’t be interested in doing Kuemper for Jones, unfortunately. I think Kuemper is an elite goaltending talent and I’m convinced his trade value is high despite his injury.

19. zar Bleed Blue

SB Cash:
    $ 64,692
    Would hate to give up Bear but this value is fair.

I think the Oilers need more size on D.

Good job @rt.

MayDayMayDay and DingDongCharlie like this.
  20. TFHockey The CEO of 7-8-0

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I said similar, not better. I wager that anyone better who is healthy isn't available.

Linus Ullmark is the example I was thinking of.

21. rt Carson Bantle Fan Club Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I don’t think you’d like the price on Garland.

Is Koskinen really fine as a 1A/1B? Edmonton should be a perennial Cup contender and needs to start winning championships soon. Accepting less should not be an option.

I know Smith is really hot right now. As a Coyotes fan I know how far a hot Smith can drag a team. It’s really something to behold. I also know it doesn’t last with Smith. And at 39 years old, I’d be worried that he might cool off just at the worst possible time.

Smith coming back down to earth after the TDL but before the playoffs would be a disaster for Edmonton. They’d then squander yet another of a finite number of years in which they should be winning championships with McDavid and Draisaitl.

If I were an Oilers fan, I would NOT be comfortable allowing my fate to depend on Smith and Koskinen. Not when they’ve been blessed with McDavid and Draisaitl.

But that’s just me. :)

22. VainGretzky OIL rebound 18/19

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I would do it as an Oiler fan even though I really like Bear we have Bouchard to replace him

Homesick and DingDongCharlie like this.
  23. ManofSteel55 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I would hate to move Bear, but I would hate to keep Koskinen more. I would reluctantly accept this deal.

DingDongCharlie likes this.
  24. Mrfenn92 Proud to be American

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    CME
    Solid fair deal

DingDongCharlie likes this.
  25. ConnorMcNugesaitl Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I don't hate it, not enough to pull the trigger.

Add in Crouse and Benson and I'd probably do it.

Main issue for me is the Oilers defense is not set at all after this year so it's very hard to move Bear despite his current struggles.