Edmonton-21 vs Pittsburgh-09

Are McDrai teammates as good as Crosby/Malkin ones or not?

• Total voters

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
It's a pretty interesting poll but if you look at the rosters Pitt had to go through to get to the cup, you start to realize why they won. Go take a look at Carolina and Detroit's rosters that year and tell me where they rank in today's NHL. They should have lost against the Caps who completely choked that series while being the best team in the NHL. Anyways, we get it, McDrai have to win a cup and they have to be the best player's on the team while doing it.
Detroit would have the best roster in the league.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Right, and if that's true(which it isn't)then their teammates played in the same division. Point share % is 1 players share of their teams goals. The worse the division the more teams and their players will score, so if McDavid is scoring more his teammates will be.

Playing in the worst division, which he
doesn't, doesn't effect point share %.
Nope.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I don't know why people believe the bolded. Both teams' defense corps are about middle of the pack relative to their respective leagues to give the Pens any sort of advantage.

Orpik - Gonchar
Gill - Scuderi
Eaton - Letang

Vs.

Nurse - Barrie
Kulikov - Larsson
Jones/Russell - Bear

Where's the clear edge? Gonchar was 35, not the prime version of himself. And Letang was only in his second full season and was primarily a third pairing guy at the time, again, not the prime version of himself.

I don't know about this.
I've been told for about 2-3 years now that Nurse is a true #1 defenseman.
Barrie had a fantastic season (offensively).
And Bear is a stud in the making like Letang was up there in 2009.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
The default answer here should be that the 09 Penguins support was better. I mean, they did end up winning the Cup. I remember Jordan Staal was an awesome third line center to have, and thinking to myself that they won't win the Cup again when they lost him in the offseason. And as mentioned above already, the Penguins had some really good veteran role player types that had signed on for a chance to win the Cup - good move on their part I guess.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's a pretty interesting poll but if you look at the rosters Pitt had to go through to get to the cup, you start to realize why they won. Go take a look at Carolina and Detroit's rosters that year and tell me where they rank in today's NHL. They should have lost against the Caps who completely choked that series while being the best team in the NHL. Anyways, we get it, McDrai have to win a cup and they have to be the best player's on the team while doing it.

Definitely the worst take in here.

Every team WAS was probably the worst roster they face tbh.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers have $10 million in dead cap space (more than Draisaitl's whole salary and almost as much as McDavid's full salary) due to this moron:

Edmonton-Oilers-General-Manager-Peter-Chiarelli-at-press-conference.jpg

The Oilers are improving now that he's gone and have become a winning team at least, but they're still hamstrung by some of this bozo's idiocy for about a year longer at least. The Penguins never had that level of a handicap.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The default answer here should be that the 09 Penguins support was better. I mean, they did end up winning the Cup. I remember Jordan Staal was an awesome third line center to have, and thinking to myself that they won't win the Cup again when they lost him in the offseason. And as mentioned above already, the Penguins had some really good veteran role player types that had signed on for a chance to win the Cup - good move on their part I guess.
Staal played 3 more seasons for the Penguins

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Oilers have $10 million in dead cap space (more than Draisaitl's whole salary and almost as much as McDavid's full salary) due to this moron:

Where are you getting that amount? Capfriendly lists $750k retained for Lucic and $3.833 million for Sekera and Pouliot buyouts, for a total of just under $4.6 million.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Kahun - McDavid - Pulju
RNH - Drai - Turris
Neal -Haas - Chiasson
Nygard - Kahira - Archibald

Kunitz - Crosby - Guerin
Fedotenko - Malkin - Talbot
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Adam - Dupuis - Satan

Not really seeing a huge difference.

I think there is a significant difference, especially for playoff hockey.

Just because your strength is 2 players, you'll still need other guys to step up at key times. That's what creates problems for the other team and in turn pumps your team up.

Pens roster may not look all that impressive on paper, but they had plenty of veterans who had their game faces on.

- Fedotenko was never a big name but was known for his clutch playoff run with Tampa and had another good one with the Pens. 14 points and 7 goals is solid. Oilers equivalent is probably Kahun who may be a surprise factor but he has no track record.

- Talbot did a lot of the little things you want in the playoffs and on top of that scored 8 goals, including the biggest goals of the season in game 7 as far as i remember. None of the grinders for Edmonton give me similar vibes of being able to do the same thing.

- Guerin was a legit 2nd liner in his final years and delivered. Neal is supposed to be a similar scoring veteran but he's been mostly crap in recent years. So in turn, the Oilers are looking at a young guy like Yamamoto who may or may not deliver (not sure if he's even healthy), he doesn't have 1200 games in the league like Guerin had nor has he been great this season.

- Kunitz and Pulju are playing a similar role i guess but again Pulju has zero playoff experience while Kunitz had a couple runs with the Ducks, and he had a 60 point season under his belt. Maybe this doesn't end up much of a difference but in saying that while Kunitz didn't score many goals he had 14 pts, which would be over half of Pulju's regular season production. Maybe he steps up offensively in the playoffs, maybe not, but you get the point.

- Kennedy played well for the Pens as sort of the less known depth guy but even he had 35 points in 60 something games in the regular season. Who is doing that for the Oilers? None of their depth guys came close to that type of production. Turris maybe if he somehow turns it on for the playoffs?

I just think that the more you start looking closer at the Pens forward group you find stuff that make you prefer them over the Oilers. Pens had a group of grizzled vets and feisty guys who all played like this is their chance to win. When i look at these teams i just feel a sense of comfort with the Pens. It's kind of like looking ahead to the next Olympics as a Finn, i know we'll have the most talented roster ever but still doubt the team is able to play at a similar level as our 06' veteran team that came together with everybody playing their roles to a T and destroyed everyone until the finals.

I just have zero expectation for the Oilers to see unexpectedly solid playoff runs from their depth players scoring big goals. If it happens, good for them. But there's hardly any signs pointing to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad