Value of: Edmonton 1st 2020

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Silf is hard to say because I think the team really likes him as a mentor to the young players, so I’d imagine it would cost more than he’s prob worth to get us to move him.

So you'd sooner part with Rakell than Silfverberg?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Or Greenway+Donato if they want two cheap NHL wingers.

I don't think either deal does much for us. Guys the like of Greenway and Donato are more of what we have already, we need one top six forward a lot more than we need two "top nine" forwards.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't think either deal does much for us. Guys the like of Greenway and Donato are more of what we have already, we need one top six forward a lot more than we need two "top nine" forwards.

Donato could actually work very well. He put up 14 goals playing 10 minutes a night on the fourth line. He's got great offensive instincts. His two-way game isn't quite there and he needs to gain some more strength, but he could easily be a 20, 25 or even 30 goal scorer in this league. Offensively, he's the second best talent on the Wild behind Fiala. It's a little perplexing that he doesn't get more opportunity. Even Guerin said in the conversation he had with Donato, the reason he isn't higher in the lineup is because Fiala is better, and Parise and Zuccarello are paid more.

I understand that it looks like I'm trying to dump scraps for the 14th pick, but these are two young, cheap NHL players with definite top 6 potential. In Donato's case, I want him traded just so he gets the opportunity to showcase his skills.

But if it's not what you're looking for, I get it.

Reactions: DarthProbert

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Problem with picks 14+ is the waive drops from 5-12/13. Talent from 14+ seems to be another waive for a decent stretch. Maybe teams with no picks or later round picks are looking at a certain guy they are high on at that 14-20 range? They might be interested

Least one of Jarvis, Quinn or Askarov will be available so a good player is available for us in a position of need. We won’t move the pick for a light return

Reactions: spaghtti

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Donato could actually work very well. He put up 14 goals playing 10 minutes a night on the fourth line. He's got great offensive instincts. His two-way game isn't quite there and he needs to gain some more strength, but he could easily be a 20, 25 or even 30 goal scorer in this league. Offensively, he's the second best talent on the Wild behind Fiala. It's a little perplexing that he doesn't get more opportunity. Even Guerin said in the conversation he had with Donato, the reason he isn't higher in the lineup is because Fiala is better, and Parise and Zuccarello are paid more.

I understand that it looks like I'm trying to dump scraps for the 14th pick, but these are two young, cheap NHL players with definite top 6 potential. In Donato's case, I want him traded just so he gets the opportunity to showcase his skills.

But if it's not what you're looking for, I get it.

For an asset like 14, it doesn't come close for me. I had some interest in Donato when you traded for him and for the right price I'd still have some interest, but for that kind of price I think we could do better.

We've also got a full roster of forwards inked for next year already so adding two guys that are third liners right this second just displaces other guys and that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If Anaheim is truly willing to consider dealing Rakell for 14+Russell+? I think that's a much better fit for what we're looking for.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Lol well I meant to help with cap problems I think there would be a decent add from Edmonton in that package.

Kapanen just got 15 + Hallander essentially with some cap help

What would be the add you’d be looking for? Without knocking Anaheim’s needs we could look at Samorukov due to our D depth on the left side. Puljujarvi would likely be available also.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
What young winger could Edmonton get for their 2020 1st . Can add AA and/or Puljujarvi to the deal .

Please keep the offers realistic as Edmonton is up against the cap . If the cap hit is higher Edmonton would have to send cap back .

Part 2 is a simple question . Would any team have interest in Kassian ?
Part 2 has a simple answer...no.. i do not think a team will have interest in Kassian with that contract. He got a 4x$3.2 contract because how he plays with McDavid...any other team or when he is moved off of McDavid's line he is just a 3/4 liner who should be paid $1 to $1.5M per year max.

Your first plus AA/Puljujarvi would get you a decent winger the issue is your cap stipulation whose cap hit do you anticipate sending back? Because if its Kassian, Chaisson, Neal, or Russell it devalues the package especially if its Kassian or Neal because they have term so the winger is not as good as one where no bad salary is attached (even though AA with his $3.0 M QO could be considered bad)

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Part 2 has a simple answer...no.. i do not think a team will have interest in Kassian with that contract. He got a 4x$3.2 contract because how he plays with McDavid...any other team or when he is moved off of McDavid's line he is just a 3/4 liner who should be paid $1 to $1.5M per year max.

Your first plus AA/Puljujarvi would get you a decent winger the issue is your cap stipulation whose cap hit do you anticipate sending back? Because if its Kassian, Chaisson, Neal, or Russell it devalues the package especially if its Kassian or Neal because they have term so the winger is not as good as one where no bad salary is attached (even though AA with his $3.0 M QO could be considered bad)

Chiasson has value. He's fairly paid, has one year left, a Cup ring and brings chippiness and physicality on top of 10-15 goals.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If Anaheim is truly willing to consider dealing Rakell for 14+Russell+? I think that's a much better fit for what we're looking for.

That's not a bad deal but the Oilers might be much better off not trading the pick in a couple of years when Rakell will be hitting UFA and Jarvis/Quinn/Askarov could be stepping in with a Yamamoto type impact, on an ELC contract. Is there any reason to think that the Oilers have to go all-in right now? As opposed to a couple of years from now when the D might be much better?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Chiasson has value. He's fairly paid, has one year left, a Cup ring and brings chippiness and physicality on top of 10-15 goals.

Chiasson had some of the best defensive impacts of any Oiler forward last year, and scores appropriately for his contract. I can't see why the Oilers would want to trade him. There's a bunch of bottom sixers playing over their heads and he isn't one of them.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
.. sure he might return a 3rd rounder in a deadline trade..
he got his 2 yr $2.15 M contract because he scored 22 goals on McDavid's wing...at least they didn't give him the Kassian contract...he is a career 3/4 liner whose career consisted of 1 yr league minimum contracts until he hit pay dirt with Edmonton...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's not a bad deal but the Oilers might be much better off not trading the pick in a couple of years when Rakell will be hitting UFA and Jarvis/Quinn/Askarov could be stepping in with a Yamamoto type impact, on an ELC contract. Is there any reason to think that the Oilers have to go all-in right now? As opposed to a couple of years from now when the D might be much better?

Our "all in" year is 2021-22, IMO. 32 million in cap space with only RNH the significant signing, Broberg/Bouchard on their ELC's. Ideally if we do move 14 it's with an eye to make a good run at it that year.

Reactions: DarthProbert

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Lol well I meant to help with cap problems I think there would be a decent add from Edmonton in that package.

Kapanen just got 15 + Hallander essentially with some cap help

Oh I misunderstood, I thought you said that the Ducks can retain or take a cap dump.

I really like Rakell but he's had a few down seasons (partially due to an eroding team around him I'm sure) so I wouldn't add much to #14 to get it done. I think AA or Puljujarvi is too much of an add. Maybe Rakell+3rd for 1st+AA?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Our "all in" year is 2021-22, IMO. 32 million in cap space with only RNH the significant signing, Broberg/Bouchard on their ELC's. Ideally if we do move 14 it's with an eye to make a good run at it that year.

I agree with that timeline, but I'd say the best time to make the big all-in moves would be summer 2021 and at that deadline. There's a lot of value in information - specifically knowing which players are developing properly and which players are not, which players fit and which players don't. It's better to adjust to those needs later on when they can be better identified. It's hard to say what the club will need then. If, say, Jarvis is drafted now and turns out to be a star scorer on his ELC, then he might be a big part of that 2022 Cup run. I also can't say at this point which parts of the D core should be kept, so many up and down players. Will Connor and Leon develop defensively or do the Oilers need to focus on acquiring shut down forwards to help them? A lot of questions that can't be answered now.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I don't think they move it because they don't have their 2nd, possibly don't have their 3rd and they don't have their 4th.

Edmonton probably keeps thr 1st

I agree Edmonton probably keep it as ELC will have a ton of value but I also like to see the Oilers become better now not 2 or 3 years down the road

scottsens

Aug 17, 2020
how about #14 to Ottawa for Islanders Pick (#28) + Tierney (value wise~ 2nd round pick but could help the team immediately as opposed to 2-3 yrs from now). Could add Pulj & a 1-2 yr cap dump if more financial flexibility is a priority.

If a winger that can help in 2021 is priority - then I'm sure that Duclair or Connor Brown could be had for the right package.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
how about #14 to Ottawa for Islanders Pick (#28) + Tierney (value wise~ 2nd round pick but could help the team immediately as opposed to 2-3 yrs from now). Could add Pulj & a 1-2 yr cap dump if more financial flexibility is a priority.

If a winger that can help in 2021 is priority - then I'm sure that Duclair or Connor Brown could be had for the right package.

Ottawa gets - Pick 14, Kris Russell

Edmonton gets - Pick 28, Chris Tierney

I feel like Ottawa may still need to add to get this done though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->