Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TOR] Mike Brown for EDM 4th '14 (3rd if EDM Reaches Playoffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Trades/signings that got dumped on like this one:
-Glenncross
-Fistric
-Whitney (was awesome until he got hurt and would be a fan favorite if not for injuries that have clearly taken a toll)
-Jones
-Belanger (not good at scoring but look at our PK now)
-Hejda
-Smid
All got panned and all turned out better than expected. Give the guy a break.

Smid got panned for years, it was a shame, people don't understand player development on this board, or team roles.

sdeol44

Sep 2, 2010
5'11" 212lbs. is a pretty big man, IMO he gets around well enough to do his job, but like I said I don't like that Dorsett wasn't even given a talking to tonight. Boll was chirping Brown but Boll wasn't being a PITA like Dorsett was.

i agree.. but isn't this kinda on Krugs.. not trying to start a major thing about the coaching.. but when dorsett was yapping with potter and whitney, i thought forsure Kruger would have brown out there next time dorsett was on and things would pop off.. but he didn't .. i could be wrong.. i didn't even see brown or eags on while dorsett was on ... mostly up against the boll line all night.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
i agree.. but isn't this kinda on Krugs.. not trying to start a major thing about the coaching.. but when dorsett was yapping with potter and whitney, i thought forsure Kruger would have brown out there next time dorsett was on and things would pop off.. but he didn't .. i could be wrong.. i didn't even see brown or eags on while dorsett was on ... mostly up against the boll line all night.

That was my take as well, kind of hard to fight a guy when you don't play against him.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I'm not sure what this means. Smyth has been good on the pk, has been involved in nearly every bit of offense the bottomsix has had this year, and plays more minutes than anybody else there with possible exception of Belanger, and manages to be -2 on a bad EV club while guys like Harti with very limited minutes are -5, Petry -4, Eager -4 respectively.

On the bottomsix only Belanger has been a better overall player but then he stymies any potential offence whenever he's on the ice.

setting a low bar doesn't make a player good enough. Oilers either need the young players to be better or the veterans need to be better to provide the kids more support. Smyth might well be the best of the bunch in the bottom 6, but he's still not good enough at this point in his career to do what this team needs.

sdeol44

Sep 2, 2010
That was my take as well, kind of hard to fight a guy when you don't play against him.

ya it was disappointing .. really thought brown would be sent to slow down dorsett..hopefully this changes at some point and we do get a reaction.. think it would of pumped everyone up a bit if it had happened.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Brown was very disappointing last night. Would rather have petrell play his spot and possibly do something offensively and be better on pk. Not like cbj was any more scared of us last night with him in the lineup.

Would rather have him take eager's spot. Eager tried for a few games but now he's gone back to sleep.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
Waste of a draft pick. Guys like this are always on waivers...and knowing our luck, that pick will be used to take the next Lucic.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Waste of a draft pick. Guys like this are always on waivers...and knowing our luck, that pick will be used to take the next Lucic.

Well then you can take solace in the fact that the Oilers wouldn't have picked that player with that pick anyway :sarcasm:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
meh deal... Petrell is much better than him overall..

Kruger wont be suiting up Brown over Petrell for long.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Brown was about what I expected. He was engaged physically and seemed to have Eager going out of his way to hit guys a little more. He even had a pretty good scoring chance in the 1st. He was a -1, which I wouldn't put all on him (though he definitely could've played it better).

Regardless of the outcome, I'm not going to put too much into a guy's first game. Especially when one of the things he's supposed to bring is work ethic and energy. Any player in the NHL or pro hockey would be giving his all in his first game on a new team (unless your name is Jeff Carter and you've just been traded to Columbus).

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Brown was about what I expected. He was engaged physically and seemed to have Eager going out of his way to hit guys a little more. He even had a pretty good scoring chance in the 1st. He was a -1, which I wouldn't put all on him (though he definitely could've played it better).

Regardless of the outcome, I'm not going to put too much into a guy's first game. Especially when one of the things he's supposed to bring is work ethic and energy. Any player in the NHL or pro hockey would be giving his all in his first game on a new team (unless your name is Jeff Carter and you've just been traded to Columbus).

That's what I'm really hoping for. Those types of guys feed off each other, and if we can have Eager and Brown doing their job, we have one hell of a hard to play against 4th line

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
Lets get this thread to a 1000 so it can be filed. Brown would be no problem, if we don't have a glut of 4th liners on this team. It would be nice if we had lines that actually played together and gained some chemistry. :boredom:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
what does Petrell bring to the table again?

Petrell is not a 5min\night player... The guy can take a regular shift against any line and hold his own.. Our best PKer along with Belanger and has more hits, points etc than Hartikainen despite getting crappy minutes..

Also leads our forwards in block shots.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Petrell is not a 5min\night player... The guy can take a regular shift against any line and hold his own.. Our best PKer along with Belanger and has more hits, points etc than Hartikainen despite getting crappy minutes..

Also leads our forwards in block shots.

obviously defensively cause they guy doesn't do a lick offensively

block shots? big deal...Smid is just as good
great pker? Belanger, Smyth, Jones and even Gagner could take his place and the team wouldn't miss a beat...once Horcoff is back, he's even more redundant

gritty? hardly...at least nothing Harti can't do...sure he has more points but Harti has a future on this team...Petrell is a 4th line filler on a bad team

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

great pker? Belanger, Smyth, Jones and even Gagner could take his place and the team wouldn't miss a beat...once Horcoff is back, he's even more redundant

gritty? hardly...at least nothing Harti can't do...sure he has more points but Harti has a future on this team...Petrell is a 4th line filler on a bad team

Not defensively either.

Only Yakupov has a worse GA/60 at even strength.

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country

What? So we don't need forwards who will get in the way to block shots? Or are you saying that Smid is just as useless?

Gagner!? Have you even watched the games that Gagner has played this year? Giving up the puck in his own zone CONSTANTLY to a single forechecker, being made to look ridiculous by any opposing forward on the rush, constantly losing his man, etc. etc.

Smyth is still a good pker but he has definitely lost a step, as has Horcoff.

So Harti has played more minutes in more prime situations (like the PP) but has fewer points and fewer hits. Yet he's more gritty? How does that even make sense? Not to mention that we don't need to drop gritty players because another one can do it, we need to KEEP guys that are willing to bang and will prevent goals.

Something this team is sorely lacking.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Gagner!? Have you even watched the games that Gagner has played this year? Giving up the puck in his own zone CONSTANTLY to a single forechecker, being made to look ridiculous by any opposing forward on the rush, constantly losing his man, etc. etc.
All of the bolded is false. Absurdly false.
Gagner has actually been half decent to my eye in the PK minutes Krueger has been giving him recently.
He's up to 1:46 SHTOI per game.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
All of the bolded is false. Absurdly false.
Gagner has actually been half decent to my eye in the PK minutes Krueger has been giving him recently.
He's up to 1:46 SHTOI per game.

Agreed. This hear Gagner is a lot stronger. It's noticeable in every aspect of his game. He wins battles on the boards now and protects the puck well. It's great to see because those were weak areas of his game in years past.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Brown was very disappointing last night. Would rather have petrell play his spot and possibly do something offensively and be better on pk. Not like cbj was any more scared of us last night with him in the lineup.

Would rather have him take eager's spot. Eager tried for a few games but now he's gone back to sleep.

I dunno, I thought Brown had an alright night. He threw some good hits, had a chance to score on his first shift and skated well and showed energy on every shift. Nothing major, but I wasn't expecting anything else from him. I agree, Eager had an off game against columbus. Looked disinterested.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

This, and it's a very deep draft, so the chance of finding a quality player with the 4th pick is well above average. That picked would of been nice to take a 'flyer' on some goalie ... instead we now have Brown, Hordicuk and Eager in the system. Can this organization get any stupider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->