Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TBL] Sam Gagner For Teddy Purcell; Then TBL Trades Gagner to ARZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
The "poor Sam Gagner, he got screwed in Edmonton" posts have started popping up on the main board.

Seems to me Sam got lucky that Phoenix wanted him. Otherwise he was gonna get bought out. That should speak volumes about the player, not that the same couldn't be said about Purcell, but I hope they both have good fresh starts.

Both guys on the verge of getting bought out and now have a second chance. There is nothing to feel sorry for here. If anything both guys should be happy they are getting a roster spot next year and not looking at Europe because that MAY have been what they would be looking at after a buyout. This game is funny that way.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
There were many posts about Perron being
  • bad in the locker room
  • easy to push off the puck
  • lazy
  • overrated
  • a floater

Hell, even one of the mods here was against the trade even after the Olympic break.

The fact is, there's a strong history of posters jumping to conclusions about a player without knowing much about them, and without having seen said player suit up for the Oilers.
Man I must be reading a different board than some people.

Yesterday someone was posting that the board was unhappy with the Gilbert for N Schultz deal. Whaa ...???

Today people are posting that the Perron trade was unpopular. Again, whaa ..???

Its like upside down world or something. Next year I fully expect to read that all of hfoil was gutted to see Gagner traded.

Some folks really need to try harder to remember what they read. Or at least try to understand the consensus opinion instead of focusing on a few outlier comments.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Man I must be reading a different board than some people.

Yesterday someone was posting that the board was unhappy with the Gilbert for N Schultz deal. Whaa ...???

Today people are posting that the Perron trade was unpopular. Again, whaa ..???

Its like upside down world or something. Next year I fully expect to read that all of hfoil was gutted to see Gagner traded.

Some folks really need to try harder to remember what they read. Or at least try to understand the consensus opinion instead of focusing on a few outlier comments.

The problem is that those outliers are usually the most vocal, and repetitive ones of the bunch, so their opinion is what sticks out.

I was happy with the Gilbert trade when it happened. I expected more out of Schultz than we got. I was, and still am, very happy with the Perron trade.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The problem is that those outliers are usually the most vocal, and repetitive ones of the bunch, so their opinion is what sticks out.

I was happy with the Gilbert trade when it happened. I expected more out of Schultz than we got. I was, and still am, very happy with the Perron trade.

Given that I'm one of the "most vocal" the most "outlier" on this board, and that I'm in, and remember all of those threads I claim absolute bs.

Ps I remember you being wrong on the Gilbert trade. :D

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003

This is exactly it. The majority of the *****ing here is centered around a half dozen or so of the same posters. When you look at their post counts, it's clear why their vocality stands out more than anyone else.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
i dont think he is that young bud.

LUf67YZ_zps7b2d35aa.gif

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
It's become painfully apparent that the real team building only started once Tambellini was fired.

this. If Tambo had had the ability to make these small moves we'd be 3 years ahead, basically on schedule, and probably in a playoff contender or better by now.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Have to put my two bits in for posterity... generally a lateral trade but it sounds like Purcell needed to move on from Tampa just as much as Gagner did out of Edmonton so I understand the move.

Purcell has some offense and obviously is a decent sized player... we'll just have to see about his defensive abilities but honestly it wouldn't take much to match Gagner.

Hopefully Gagner enjoys the sun in Arizona and has a good career ahead of him. Was a "good guy" from all accounts and have to wish him the best.

In short... I don't think this trade makes the Oilers better but I don't think it makes them worse either and hopefully this FORCES MacT to seriously look for a viable centre for that #2C spot.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Have to put my two bits in for posterity... generally a lateral trade but it sounds like Purcell needed to move on from Tampa just as much as Gagner did out of Edmonton so I understand the move.

Purcell has some offense and obviously is a decent sized player... we'll just have to see about his defensive abilities but honestly it wouldn't take much to match Gagner.

Hopefully Gagner enjoys the sun in Arizona and has a good career ahead of him. Was a "good guy" from all accounts and have to wish him the best.

In short... I don't think this trade makes the Oilers better but I don't think it makes them worse either and hopefully this FORCES MacT to seriously look for a viable centre for that #2C spot.

I agree in the entirety.

Our team needs better puck possession which Purcell brings.

Both players whether they wanted it or not needed a kick in the ass and they got it. They will try to impress their new teams and everyone benefits. Only damage for us is now we have to play Gags but we know all his tricks.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Seems to me Sam got lucky that Phoenix wanted him. Otherwise he was gonna get bought out. That should speak volumes about the player
Well, that should also speak volumes about how other GMs look at our players. Hemsky wasnt wanted by many other teams and we sold him for very little, and by all accounts most Sens fans want him back now. Gagner wasnt wanted either and took a team to obtain him with salary retained.

Basically the concerning thing is thats two of our best 1st round picks before the rebuild, and we may eventually have little to nothing to show for them. We used to suck at drafting, but at least we traded Bonsignore and Kelly for Hamrlik, for Brewer, for Pronger, for Eberle by way of draft. I wouldnt be suprised to see both Gagner and Hemsky find a better career in a different jersey, and we end up with nothing to show for it.

So yeah, two of our best 1st rounders and we got back pennies on the dollar. It doesnt matter if the fault lies with the player, management or bad luck, but its frustrating becasue its a big reason why the rebuild is perpetual.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well, that should also speak volumes about how other GMs look at our players. Hemsky wasnt wanted by many other teams and we sold him for very little, and by all accounts most Sens fans want him back now. Gagner wasnt wanted either and took a team to obtain him with salary retained.

Basically the concerning thing is thats two of our best 1st round picks before the rebuild, and we may eventually have little to nothing to show for them. We used to suck at drafting, but at least we traded Bonsignore and Kelly for Hamrlik, for Brewer, for Pronger, for Eberle by way of draft. I wouldnt be suprised to see both Gagner and Hemsky find a better career in a different jersey, and we end up with nothing to show for it.

So yeah, two of our best 1st rounders and we got back pennies on the dollar. It doesnt matter if the fault lies with the player, management or bad luck, but its frustrating becasue its a big reason why the rebuild is perpetual.

Agreed.

The Oilers seem to have a knack for devaluing their players. Gagner is one of many.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Given that I'm one of the "most vocal" the most "outlier" on this board, and that I'm in, and remember all of those threads I claim absolute bs.

Ps I remember you being wrong on the Gilbert trade. :D

Lol.. I know you are one of the most active on these boards, but I doubt you can remember precisely how all of those threads go. I'm not saying, necessarily, that every time someone is ragging on a trade that it's the vocal minority... but there was a fair share of people who thought that the Gilbert/Schultz trade was going to be good for the team.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Agreed.

The Oilers seem to have a knack for devaluing their players. Gagner is one of many.

I'm not sure if that can be claimed yet, as TB also sold him for very cheap (even though it was for cap space). If he was desirable, they would have just kept him or gotten more for him.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Excellent post sir. :handclap:

Bangers

May 31, 2006

So much truth in this, but unfortunately it's not a recent development. The worst example was how Lupul became Pitkanen, who became Cole, who became POS, who became Vandermeer (this one was actually an improvement), who became a free agent. With the exception of POS, every single player instantly became better the second they left the team. Cogliano was another example.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
So much truth in this, but unfortunately it's not a recent development. The worst example was how Lupul became Pitkanen, who became Cole, who became POS, who became Vandermeer (this one was actually an improvement), who became a free agent. With the exception of POS, every single player instantly became better the second they left the team. Cogliano was another example.
Well, hopefully Purcell exceeds expectations, and him and Perron can be new examples of some good trades. But yeah, this trend has to stop.

I'm not sure if that can be claimed yet, as TB also sold him for very cheap (even though it was for cap space). If he was desirable, they would have just kept him or gotten more for him.
As much as I like Yzerman, I really hope this blows up in his face, and Gagner plays great and exceeds whoever Stevie signs with his new cap space. Although, somehow I think everyone will forgot that it was the Bolts who gave him away and everyone will just mock the Oilers.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Seems to me Sam got lucky that Phoenix wanted him. Otherwise he was gonna get bought out. That should speak volumes about the player, not that the same couldn't be said about Purcell, but I hope they both have good fresh starts.

Both guys on the verge of getting bought out and now have a second chance. There is nothing to feel sorry for here. If anything both guys should be happy they are getting a roster spot next year and not looking at Europe because that MAY have been what they would be looking at after a buyout. This game is funny that way.
If Sam would've been bought, he still would have been playing in the NHL. :shakehead

Bangers

May 31, 2006
The good thing about this trade is that it will sort out what Gagner is/isn't once and for all.

Given a full offseason in Tippett's program, if Gagner sinks in Dubnyk-esque fashion, it's all on him. If he becomes an excellent 2nd line center, it's on the Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->