Proposal: EDM-STL (RNH to St Louis)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The value isn't bad but I'm not interested in RNH. I think he's a good 3C who excels on the PP but he can't drive the play, isn't really a stalwart defensively (though he isn't bad), isn't a possession driver. Again, not a bad player but he's overpaid by about 2M.

Then again, he could be a nice fit. We have strong wingers, playing with Tarasenko he doesn't need to drive the offense and he'd get the power play time he needs (and doesn't receive behind McDavid and Draisaitl). So it's an odd gamble. Probably something I'd have to look into a lot more than I did.

Then again, Edmonton is competing and probably should hang onto him until next summer when they'll truely need that cap space.
A guy who puts up 50+ points isn't a 3rd-liner.

He's a solid 2C, which is exactly what we need.

(Yeah we actually need a 1C but that's going to be hard to get, rolling with two solid 2C's is probably the Blues' best option).

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I rather overpay 1c (Tavares) then 2c (RNH) which isn't nothing too chappy in my eyes. Sobotka can easily do 2c and one more year and Barby might be decent 2c, he was superB when he change to play 1c spot, only disappeared post-season which is for rookie normal.

But that isn't far looked that rolling 2c might be best option for Blues, but that doesn't bring the cup for us.

We need to draft high or pay high price for 1c. ****** situation. And I view both of those doesn't happend so 2x2c is best. I just see our front office see that Stastny will get re-signed, not like majority of Blues fans predict he'll walk.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I rather overpay 1c (Tavares) then 2c (RNH) which isn't nothing too chappy in my eyes. Sobotka can easily do 2c and one more year and Barby might be decent 2c, he was superB when he change to play 1c spot, only disappeared post-season which is for rookie normal.

But that isn't far looked that rolling 2c might be best option for Blues, but that doesn't bring the cup for us.

We need to draft high or pay high price for 1c. ****** situation. And I view both of those doesn't happend so 2x2c is best. I just see our front office see that Stastny will get re-signed, not like majority of Blues fans predict he'll walk.

Centres the caliber of John Tavares are available once in a lifetime, and if he IS available, you'll have every team in the league outside of maybe Edmonton and Pittsburgh fighting for him. It's often not simply a case of overpaying.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
And I hate to help Oilers so giving Schmaltz would be absolute no no, 'cus he's RHD. More like LHD, but not Walman or Dunn. Maybe Mikkola.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
yeah I would keep the 2nd in with a Berglund trade and drop it with a Sobe trade, but I always liked Sobe better
The Berglund><Sobotka debate has been going on for literally years on our own board. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I thought that Sobotka might be more popular with Edmonton fans due to the smaller cap hit and shorter term. As for those who seem to think that giving up our 2018 2nd is no big deal, I strongly disagree. Next years draft is supposedly a good one, and not drafting until the 3rd round to me is poor, even irresponsible, asset management. I'm not saying that pick is untouchable, I'm just not as certain as others are that RNH is worth compromising our prospect pool

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
The Berglund><Sobotka debate has been going on for literally years on our own board. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I thought that Sobotka might be more popular with Edmonton fans due to the smaller cap hit and shorter term. As for those who seem to think that giving up our 2018 2nd is no big deal, I strongly disagree. Next years draft is supposedly a good one, and not drafting until the 3rd round to me is poor, even irresponsible, asset management. I'm not saying that pick is untouchable, I'm just not as certain as others are that RNH is worth compromising our prospect pool

I added the 2nd just as a sweetener, I think the trade could happen without it. I imagine that the Blues will trade for a first sometime before next season though.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
And I hate to help Oilers so giving Schmaltz would be absolute no no, 'cus he's RHD. More like LHD, but not Walman or Dunn. Maybe Mikkola.

Why would we want... whoever that is? We have LHD coming out our noses and your third best LHD prospect isn't going to get that deal done.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Why would we want... whoever that is? We have LHD coming out our noses and your third best LHD prospect isn't going to get that deal done.
and what has Schmaltz done anyways? Same age as RNH, hasn't proven anything yet, and he would be behind Adam Larsson, Matthew Benning, and Denis Gryba on the right side on the opening roster.
I guess he used to be Cagguila's teammate if that means anything

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Don't see the Oilers interested in Berglund. They likely want someone younger and cheaper in that 3C role, guys like Haula/Jarnkrok.

They'd probably have someone interest in Sobotka, he'd be a better fit then Berglund, great on the dot, slightly cheaper and a year less contract wise even those he's a year older. Also he was drafted by Chiarelli if I'm not mistaken.

Schmaltz is a decent prospect, looks like he's had 2 decent seasons in the AHL but he'll be 24 when the season starts so he's getting into make it or break it territory. Being a 1st rounder it's a bit worrisome that guys like Parayko, Edmunson, Lindblom have seemingly past him on the depth chart as they are all roughly same age or younger. I would hope the Oilers would heavily scout him before making any deal. As well Benning makes him a bit redundant, having 2 guys on the right side with less then a years combined big league experience wouldn't be ideal, and at this point if it's one or the other I'd rather stick with Benning as he's a hometown kid, knows the system and earned that spot with his play last year. At this point the Oilers need someone with experience at RHD, Benning has shown the ability to handle bottom pair duties with potential to take on more but we also have guys like Bear, Manthat, Paigin at RD in minors so if Schmaltz can't beat out Benning he likely gets lost in the shuffle.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Don't see the Oilers interested in Berglund. They likely want someone younger and cheaper in that 3C role, guys like Haula/Jarnkrok.

They'd probably have someone interest in Sobotka, he'd be a better fit then Berglund, great on the dot, slightly cheaper and a year less contract wise even those he's a year older. Also he was drafted by Chiarelli if I'm not mistaken.

Schmaltz is a decent prospect, looks like he's had 2 decent seasons in the AHL but he'll be 24 when the season starts so he's getting into make it or break it territory. Being a 1st rounder it's a bit worrisome that guys like Parayko, Edmunson, Lindblom have seemingly past him on the depth chart as they are all roughly same age or younger. I would hope the Oilers would heavily scout him before making any deal. As well Benning makes him a bit redundant, having 2 guys on the right side with less then a years combined big league experience wouldn't be ideal, and at this point if it's one or the other I'd rather stick with Benning as he's a hometown kid, knows the system and earned that spot with his play last year. At this point the Oilers need someone with experience at RHD, Benning has shown the ability to handle bottom pair duties with potential to take on more but we also have guys like Bear, Manthat, Paigin at RD in minors so if Schmaltz can't beat out Benning he likely gets lost in the shuffle.

Gotta take into account here we've had Pietro, Shatty and Parayko in front of him on the right side for almost his entirety with the org. I will say though that I view this as being a make or break year for Schmaltz. Sadly he probably won't get a lot of ES time unless he is comfortable on his off hand and can pass up Eddy or Bouw and at the same time fend off Walman and Dunn. As much as I hate to say it he'll more than likely only get about 10 mins per game with us and it won't change unless Parayko or Pie get hurt. Blues just don't run their bottom pair often with the luxury of Parayko Pietro. Being a PPQB could save his worth here though as he could play on the second PP with Parayko as a trigger man off handed.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Lindbohm hasnt passed him up and Edmundson is a LHD. As for Parayko.....are you seriously saying that's a slight against Schmaltz? I wont try and pump Schmaltz tires but he is still has the talent to be a 2nd pairing PPQB dman

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm interested to see what the Blues do between Berglund and Sobotka. It seems that one of them will have to go in the near future, especially if they hope to acquire a top 6 center (which they should).

Sobotka has a better contract, is faster, better on faceoffs and more of a playmaker.

Berglund though is a year younger, much bigger and a better goal-scorer.

It's really tough to say, both are good at the 3C role. One thing I will say though is I feel like the Blues would be more loyal to Berglund. They did just give him a 5-year deal. I'm really not sure if they're looking to trade him during his first year in it. That doesn't seem to be Armstrong's style, he's been pretty good with keeping his guys around a bit after signing them. Sobotka, while the Blues are happy to have him back, did leave the team for the KHL for a few years so I think Armstrong would maybe be less hesitant to ship him out. Just speculating.

Honestly, either one would be a good acquisition for a team like EDM or PIT who could use that style of player on the 3rd line. I think Sobotka is the perfect 3rd-liner, but Berglund does provide some goals and a team like the Blues especially can't overlook that.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I'm interested to see what the Blues do between Berglund and Sobotka. It seems that one of them will have to go in the near future, especially if they hope to acquire a top 6 center (which they should).

Sobotka has a better contract, is faster, better on faceoffs and more of a playmaker.

Berglund though is a year younger, much bigger and a better goal-scorer.

It's really tough to say, both are good at the 3C role. One thing I will say though is I feel like the Blues would be more loyal to Berglund. They did just give him a 5-year deal. I'm really not sure if they're looking to trade him during his first year in it. That doesn't seem to be Armstrong's style, he's been pretty good with keeping his guys around a bit after signing them. Sobotka, while the Blues are happy to have him back, did leave the team for the KHL for a few years so I think Armstrong would maybe be less hesitant to ship him out. Just speculating.

Honestly, either one would be a good acquisition for a team like EDM or PIT who could use that style of player on the 3rd line. I think Sobotka is the perfect 3rd-liner, but Berglund does provide some goals and a team like the Blues especially can't overlook that.

I can't see Army being more loyal to Berglund. He did sign Sobotka after Berglund's contract was already in place. Everything changes if RNH has a stellar year.

Kasparov

May 29, 2013
In all my years on this website, i've never seen this many people commending OP for a "good proposal". :laugh: I didn't actually think it was possible.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's a pretty good time to have a fairly expendable young top 6 C. A few playoff contenders could really use the upgrade at the position something fierce (mainly STL and Montreal).

But then again I don't think it's really ever a bad time to have an expendable young top 6 C.

Only real comparable on the market right now is Duchene but seeing as how Sakic doesn't seem to be willing to take less than the moon is say a decent return for RNH is pretty fair to expect.

I personally don't want to deal him, but if we must due to cap reasons I would be happy if we could shed salary while also adding some cheap and solid young assets and a solid vet like Berglund or Sobotka.

I'm surprised Oiler fans are okay with it. I'd do that trade in a heartbeat!

It's the reality of the cap. Berglund in a solid vet that I've liked for many years and then we also get a couple of assets to boot while shedding a little salary. If Schmaltz is a legit NHL prospect then this trade could pan out well for us especially if he becomes a #4D or a solid PP guy that plays on the 3rd pairing.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
In all my years on this website, i've never seen this many people commending OP for a "good proposal". :laugh: I didn't actually think it was possible.

OP did a number of things well.

1) They didn't go after an A+ asset. That's usually a very good start.

2) They actually took BOTH team's needs into account. St.Louis needs centre help. The Oilers are going to need cap space, but after wandering in the desert for so long, remaining competitive is imperative.

3) He isn't giving up an A+ asset. That'll save him from being eviscerated by his own fanbase.

4) Each piece he's giving up is actually valuable. There's no pending free agents, no nothing prospects that no one has ever heard of, and no picks lower than a 2nd.

It's a solid deal, it really is. I'd just rather keep RNH until forced to deal him by cap constraints, which is likely next offseason.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I'm not a big fan of RNH but I could be wrong.

The value is definitely fair.

What is the exact return if the Blues send Bergie, Schmaltz and Gunnar? Would the Oilers add a pick to RNH? Just asking.

Btw, I think Schmaltz would be better in the Oilers system than in STL.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not a big fan of RNH but I could be wrong.

The value is definitely fair.

What is the exact return if the Blues send Bergie, Schmaltz and Gunnar? Would the Oilers add a pick to RNH? Just asking.

Btw, I think Schmaltz would be better in the Oilers system than in STL.

See, now you're skipping a few of the steps I laid out. Namely considering both teams needs. By shoehorning Gunnarsson into this deal, it's a lot less attractive for Edmonton. He's a supporting cast 4/5 LHD that we really have zero use for, and at 2.9 million, we no longer achieve what is the sole purpose of trading RNH - to save cap space. Couple that with the only thing he'd do is take icetime away from Nurse once Sekera is healthy, and he's the dictionary definition of negative value.

In short - no - Edmonton wouldn't include a pick, since this is a worse version of OP's proposal, not a better one.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
See, now you're skipping a few of the steps I laid out. Namely considering both teams needs. By shoehorning Gunnarsson into this deal, it's a lot less attractive for Edmonton. He's a supporting cast 4/5 LHD that we really have zero use for, and at 2.9 million, we no longer achieve what is the sole purpose of trading RNH - to save cap space. Couple that with the only thing he'd do is take icetime away from Nurse once Sekera is healthy, and he's the dictionary definition of negative value.

In short - no - Edmonton wouldn't include a pick, since this is a worse version of OP's proposal, not a better one.

I agree. But Gunnar does give you guys a depth Defenseman for this year for your playoff push. That being said you guys don't need the depth to the point to where you could give us the value we could get from gunnar from other teams. If him being added and then a 4th being added to the original trade to even it out would be the cost then yeah it could work for both teams. Regardless

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
the Oilers already have depth d-men and seem to have wanted to go with the same 7 d-men that they went with last season until Sekera got injured. now they added Auvitu from the Devils to go with Gryba and give us 2 good depth guys. the Oilers also have call up guys like Keegan Lowe, Ryan Stanton and Dillon Simpson if needed. all 3 have had a taste of NHL play.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yeah, that's what I figured.

I do think Edmonton is going to at least the WCF this year.

I don't. They have 2 top 4 defensemen healthy going into the season and I felt Talbot deserved Vezina consideration last year. Anaheim is still the team to beat in my opinion. They had 3 of their top 4 hurt last year at times. Edmonton doesn't have the depth to withstand anything like that. Everything went right for the Oilers last year and they still lost to the Ducks. I don't see that changing. Ryan Getzlaf tried during the playoffs and when he tries he might be the best player in the world.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
the Oilers already have depth d-men and seem to have wanted to go with the same 7 d-men that they went with last season until Sekera got injured. now they added Auvitu from the Devils to go with Gryba and give us 2 good depth guys. the Oilers also have call up guys like Keegan Lowe, Ryan Stanton and Dillon Simpson if needed. all 3 have had a taste of NHL play.

I'll eat my shoe if Keegan Lowe ever plays a game for this team barring 4-5 defenceman injuries. I think he'll be behind just about everyone in Bako, including recent CHL grads like Bear, Jones, and Mantha - plus Ziyat Paigin.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013

OK...no worries. I was reading quickly on my I-Phone and didn't realize Gunnar was a hindrance to the deal.

I agree with your points as well as the general consensus that the OP's offer was very fair. I'm not all that surprised---Oilers' fans and Blues' fans seem to get along pretty well on this board. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad