Proposal: EDM-STL (RNH to St Louis)

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I think the Blues would really benefit from RNH as he's a top 6 center that would probably thrive in an environment where he's playing with top 6 talent. The Blues are going to need a replacement for Paul Stastny as he's getting older.

Edmonton would probably benefit because the Blues have too many 3rd line centers and they come at a fairly cheap cost. Not to mention the Blues can probably give Schmaltz to sweeten the deal.

RNH to St. Louis

for

Berglund or Sobotka, Schmaltz, 2nd.

The Blues can probably add Carl Gunnarson as well to make the math work for this season too.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think the Blues would really benefit from RNH as he's a top 6 center that would probably thrive in an environment where he's playing with top 6 talent. The Blues are going to need a replacement for Paul Stastny as he's getting older.

Edmonton would probably benefit because the Blues have too many 3rd line centers and they come at a fairly cheap cost. Not to mention the Blues can probably give Schmaltz to sweeten the deal.

RNH to St. Louis

for

Berglund or Sobotka, Schmaltz, 2nd.

The Blues can probably add Carl Gunnarson as well to make the math work for this season too.

Wouldn't this deal make more sense to both teams a year from now? Edmonton is highly likely going to need to move some money next offseason and RNH or Sekera are likely targets. Not much reason to make a move now - might as well enjoy McDavid and Drai on the same line as long as we can.

Oilers get another year of McD and Drai, Blues get clear of Stastny's cap hit and another year to see if Fabbri is ready for full time top 6 C duties.

Your offer isn't bad, though. I just don't want to downgrade RNH until forced to by cap constraints.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Pretty good offer.

Berglund gives us some more size up the middle and I'm pretty high on Schmaltz myself. Not a huge fan of giving a conference rival a high-end mid 20s forward, but the value's not bad.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Take the 2nd out. Both Berglund and Sobokta are quality centers with term and Schmaltz is a PMD RHS. Both are exactly what Edmonton needs.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Take the 2nd out. Both Berglund and Sobokta are quality centers with term and Schmaltz is a PMD RHS. Both are exactly what Edmonton needs.

If it happened today, maybe. But this deal would make more sense next summer. And with Schmaltz's waiver eligibility kicking in, if he's not a F/T defenseman by then, his value would be considerably less.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
seems relatively fair. I think this is a good example of both teams trading expendable pieces to fill holes on the other team

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I like it. I'd absolutely be willing to wait until next Summer too. I personally think it's fairly likely the Blues let Stastny walk and make a trade for a guy like RNH.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Id do Berglund / Sobotka + Schmaltz + 3rd

For

RNH

Would rather do it now than wait until next Summer. This keeps Schenn and Fabbri on the wing for now too, which I like for this year.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I'd rather do it ASAP rather than watch RNH get traded to another team. The Blues need a pure top 6 center and shouldn't roll the dice like they are now. The Blues would be trading players that they have in excess for a player that they desperately need if Schenn doesn't work well as at center and Stastny gets injured (which he has every season with the Blues).

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'd rather do it ASAP rather than watch RNH get traded to another team. The Blues need a pure top 6 center and shouldn't roll the dice like they are now. The Blues would be trading players that they have in excess for a player that they desperately need if Schenn doesn't work well as at center and Stastny gets injured (which he has every season with the Blues).

While your offer is pretty good, it's not so good I'd jump on it right now. Drai and McDavid are dynamite together, maybe the best duo in the league, and if we move RNH we have no one even moderately capable of playing top 6 C to let that happen.

I think Drai will see more time at C than he did last season, but McLellan likes lots of centres in his top 6 and likes RNH quite a bit. I'm not sure I've ever heard a coach tell a player to be less defensively responsible and take more risks offensively before McLellan said that about RNH this offseason.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Instead of the draft pick, why not Sobotka + Berglund + Schmaltz for RNH ?

EDM gets 2 good centers ( one with size and another with grit ) and a high end offensive defenseman.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
While your offer is pretty good, it's not so good I'd jump on it right now. Drai and McDavid are dynamite together, maybe the best duo in the league, and if we move RNH we have no one even moderately capable of playing top 6 C to let that happen.

I think Drai will see more time at C than he did last season, but McLellan likes lots of centres in his top 6 and likes RNH quite a bit. I'm not sure I've ever heard a coach tell a player to be less defensively responsible and take more risks offensively before McLellan said that about RNH this offseason.
That makes sense.

Out of pure curiosity though, is there anything on top of Sobotka + Schmaltz (and maybe a pick or Gunnarsson) that would entice you to make the trade sooner? We do not have our 2018 1st, and Berglund is injured until December.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Instead of the draft pick, why not Sobotka + Berglund + Schmaltz for RNH ?

EDM gets 2 good centers ( one with size and another with grit ) and a high end offensive defenseman.

Because we'd be adding ~1.3 million in cap space long term instead of shedding it, which is the only reason we'd be trading RNH in the first place.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That makes sense.

Out of pure curiosity though, is there anything on top of Sobotka + Schmaltz (and maybe a pick or Gunnarsson) that would entice you to make the trade sooner? We do not have our 2018 1st, and Berglund is injured until December.

Probably not, to be honest. Outside of something stupid like Barbashev or Kostim on top of Sobotka and Schmaltz.

I really feel that Edmonton needs to be all-in this year. We have the short term cap space and picks and prospects to move.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If it happened today, maybe. But this deal would make more sense next summer. And with Schmaltz's waiver eligibility kicking in, if he's not a F/T defenseman by then, his value would be considerably less.

Ah, that's true. I have no issue waiting though. I would counter RNH's value may continue to slide. I have faith in him though. A change of scenery may do him some good. Some guys who are "the guy" that get shelved by the new guys tend to overcompensate to remain "useful".

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Probably not, to be honest. Outside of something stupid like Barbashev or Kostim on top of Sobotka and Schmaltz.

I really feel that Edmonton needs to be all-in this year. We have the short term cap space and picks and prospects to move.
Yeah, that's what I figured.

I do think Edmonton is going to at least the WCF this year.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Wouldn't this deal make more sense to both teams a year from now? Edmonton is highly likely going to need to move some money next offseason and RNH or Sekera are likely targets. Not much reason to make a move now - might as well enjoy McDavid and Drai on the same line as long as we can.

Oilers get another year of McD and Drai, Blues get clear of Stastny's cap hit and another year to see if Fabbri is ready for full time top 6 C duties.

Your offer isn't bad, though. I just don't want to downgrade RNH until forced to by cap constraints.
Very intelligent post. I can't fault your logic at all.

Completely, 100% agree. With having no 1st in 2018, we simply can't justify a 2nd. Good proposal, altogether. Maybe next season.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Well done OP.

I really like this offer... both look to be strong on the draw but I feel Sobotka would be the better fit for the Oilers. Plus he scored on an 82 point pace in the regular season in the NHL last year! ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->