Confirmed Trade: [EDM/STL] Jakub Jerabek for a 2020 6th round pick

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Do people not realize that a player who has passed waivers gains marginal value because they do not need to be waived to be assigned to the AHL?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
He wasn't on waivers.
you seem to be right
"“The Oilers have placed forward Pontus Aberg on waivers for the purpose of assignment to the @Condors. Also, defenceman Jakub Jerabek has been released & is awaiting assignment.”"

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Jerabek with AHL eligibility would be a pretty darn useful asset for a team only wanting to carry 7D. Without that value, it's a little harder to say. Surprised he did so poorly in Edmonton, he was a decent enough depth defenseman for Washington. Not someone you want to lean on heavily, but I've seen far worse 6/7D on plenty of NHL rosters.

Dexter Sinister

Sep 26, 2015
Idahizzle
So if he was released, why couldn't STL just sign him? and how was EDM able to trade him? (I'm assuming released means he was no longer under contract and they no longer held his rights).

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Glad EDM got something for someone who didnt make the cut for us especially when we look at some of the names on waivers these days.

For STL fans. Jerebek looked better and better as the preseason went on so he may still be serviceable. He lost his spot to Bouchard and Garrison who had better pre season.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
So if he was released, why couldn't STL just sign him? and how was EDM able to trade him? (I'm assuming released means he was no longer under contract and they no longer held his rights).
He was released from camp, but hadn't waived him. His contract is/was still valid.

Basically, Gunnarsson isn't healthy yet, Edmundson has been limited, Bortuzzo is suspended, Bouwmeester is coming off a long term injury. This is for depth. He'll likely be waived after, and if we lose him, oh well.

Reactions: Dexter Sinister

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
The trade makes sense because Jerabek cleared waivers, so he can now play up to 10 NHL games or spend less than 30 days on STL roster without requiring waivers again. They give up a future 6th to get some organizational depth on defense.

From EDM's standpoint, sure it's a free asset, but there's an opportunity cost in that they signed someone who didn't pan out as an NHL defender for them, and wasted time with him occupying a pre-season spot. Had they not signed him, they don't get a 6th, but maybe they sign someone different who pans out and gives them more value than a 6th by being on their NHL roster this year.

Obviously, it's still fine from EDM's side of things, I just want to point out that it isn't as simple as "EDM gets free asset for player signed a month ago". There's such a thing as opportunity cost.

Wow, looks like someone's taken an Economics 101 class, incredibly insightful!

Reactions: snowflake and Jamin

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He was beyond horrible in his first few preseason games. Got a bit better a couple games ago and was pretty good last game.

Might have been a case where he just needed to get up to speed. Unfortunately for him he was outperformed by pretty much everyone around him in the meantime.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Could you imagine making a million bucks a year to suck at your job? Now that I look at it this way I'm depressed
suck at your job? The guy made it to the NHL so he is better than 95% of the Canadian kids who grow up with that dream but toil in lower leagues.

Reactions: Memento

Jul 6, 2016
Jerebek is a very lucky person. Going from a cellar team (the Canadiens) to the SC winner. Then from a bubble team (Edmonton) to another contender. And the guy is at the very best a #7 d-man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad