Confirmed Trade: [EDM/STL] Jakub Jerabek for a 2020 6th round pick

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The trade makes sense because Jerabek cleared waivers, so he can now play up to 10 NHL games or spend less than 30 days on STL roster without requiring waivers again. They give up a future 6th to get some organizational depth on defense.

From EDM's standpoint, sure it's a free asset, but there's an opportunity cost in that they signed someone who didn't pan out as an NHL defender for them, and wasted time with him occupying a pre-season spot. Had they not signed him, they don't get a 6th, but maybe they sign someone different who pans out and gives them more value than a 6th by being on their NHL roster this year.

Obviously, it's still fine from EDM's side of things, I just want to point out that it isn't as simple as "EDM gets free asset for player signed a month ago". There's such a thing as opportunity cost.
Jerebek never actually was put on waivers.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
The consensus amongst Oilers journalists watching preseason games was that Jerabek has poor mobility and he was pretty clearly outplayed by Jason Garrison (he of PTO fame), Ethan Bear, Evan Bouchard, and to some extent even by Caleb Jones. Maybe he was banged up and the mobility will improve, and the puck skills seemed to be there. Someone in the Blues org mustve “seen him good” at some point to give up any draft pick for him.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Chiarelli is good at small trades. This is great value for a guy who would've hit waivers otherwise.

If we can just keep the GM from dealing anyone from the top 6 forwards or top 4 D... we'll be okay. Should be in his contract.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Edmonton Oilers waive Pontus Aberg, Jakub Jerabek, so how is roster looking?

That was where I saw he was placed on waivers.

Is this a case where that article is incorrect, and he was never placed on waivers? .

It’s a Staples article, so it’s likely 95% incorrect anyway.

The confusion came with the Oilers’ wording: “released”. People just assumed that meant waived or let go (which can’t happen without waivers).

Basically he was just put aside until they found something to do with him. I imagine he would have been on waivers today if the trade hadn’t been made.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
He was also outplayed by Gravel, seems like a weird move for the blues to make but i'll take it

Reactions: Morrison

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It’s a Staples article, so it’s likely 95% incorrect anyway.

The confusion came with the Oilers’ wording: “released”. People just assumed that meant waived or let go (which can’t happen without waivers).

Basically he was just put aside until they found something to do with him. I imagine he would have been on waivers today if the trade hadn’t been made.

Thank you for the clarification, I was clearly misinformed.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Wow. I didn’t think there was a hope of trading him. He’s was like the 12th best Oilers dman this preseason. Although he was slightly less trash in the last 2 games, so maybe the Blues are hoping it’s a trend

Reactions: Morrison

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Wasn't he waived two days ago?
No, he was "released" from camp but not put on waivers.

There was talk he didn't want to go to the AHL, and wanted to go to Europe if he couldn't play in the NHL, which is presumably why they did not assign him there yet.

Also, if he was put on waivers, that only would've been yesterday, but he can't be traded while on pending waivers, so the fact the trade went through confirms he was not put on waivers yesterday.

Interestingly, the deal would have made more sense to me if he had cleared waivers though. Then STL could send him down without risking losing him (a cleared player has 30 days on NHL roster (or 10 nhl games) before having to go on waivers for reassignment again).
Now they have too many D, and he has to play in the NHL or risk immediately losing him (and that 6th rounder) to waivers.

Reactions: llamateizer

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
My guess is that when the Leafs started "actively shopping" Connor Carrick, Jerabeck started looking not too bad.. Still a 6th is amazing for the Oilers..

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Blues: We are looking for defensive depth down in San Antonio as we only have 6 defensemen. Are you interested in dumping Jerabeck? What do you need?
EDM: Sure, lets start with Parayko.
Blues: Did you say a 6th rounder would do it? Your cell broke up there a bit
EDM: Yeah, uh, 6th rounder is fine.
Blues: Tell him to pack his shorts. Its pretty warm down in San Antonio.

WiscoBlues

Feb 1, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Either the Blues injuries to d-men are going to be an issue, or they are about to trade another d-man like Gunnarsson. Seems like an odd trade to make otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad