Confirmed Trade: [EDM/STL] Jakub Jerabek for a 2020 6th round pick

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Blues have depth issues on defense?
No, this is bizarre.

We have 8 guys, and Mikkola & Walman have been pretty impressive through camp if we needed a short term call up.

Was he not on waivers?

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Maybe Bouwmeester not ready yet? Bortuzzo is suspended right now. Gunnarsson isn't cleared to play games yet I don't think.

EDIT: My bad forgot about the Walman and Mikkola. Strange move then.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Depth on defense in minors? Another trade incoming from the Blues? Seems odd

no way, unless they believe he has some untapped potential it makes no sense

butler and lindholm are there on the left side, solid top 4 and good enough to be callups as the 9th-10th option

mitch reinke, jake walman, wotherspoon, laleggia is back to defense can all play short term in the nhl as well at this point

blues already have insane depth on d, logjammed even

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
This makes no sense unless some other defenseman are going to be moved out. The blues have a lot of defensive depth so I’m truly confused.

Reactions: Morrison

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The trade makes sense because Jerabek cleared waivers, so he can now play up to 10 NHL games or spend less than 30 days on STL roster without requiring waivers again. They give up a future 6th to get some organizational depth on defense.

From EDM's standpoint, sure it's a free asset, but there's an opportunity cost in that they signed someone who didn't pan out as an NHL defender for them, and wasted time with him occupying a pre-season spot. Had they not signed him, they don't get a 6th, but maybe they sign someone different who pans out and gives them more value than a 6th by being on their NHL roster this year.

Obviously, it's still fine from EDM's side of things, I just want to point out that it isn't as simple as "EDM gets free asset for player signed a month ago". There's such a thing as opportunity cost.

Reactions: David Dennison

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He was pretty bad in camp and soundly outplayed by Garrison, who has most likely earned a contract and will be our 7th D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->