Confirmed with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign Jason Garrison, Alex Chiasson (1 year, $650k)

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
If you're going to rant get your facts straight.

1. The Oilers offered him a PTO as well.

2. The Oilers traded him twice in the last two seasons, they are not going to offer him a contract outright. In fact, no team did.

3. He's a 6/7/8 defenseman, get over it.

Lol, he’s a 7/8 on most teams. He’d be a lock as a 6 on the Rangers and here.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Lol, he’s a 7/8 on most teams. He’d be a lock as a 6 on the Rangers and here.
Not sure why I’m entertaining this crap... but why would a guy who couldn’t stick in the lineup for two seasons in a row now be a lock to be on the bottom pairing?

It’s incredible the amount of time, devotion, passion people have for Brandon Davidson. A guy who has 20 good games of NHL hockey in his career that came over 2 years ago and otherwise is a fringe #7/8 on every team he’s played for, including here... twice.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
Chiasson is Pouliot 2.0. Kills penalties, big frame, inconsistency and of course takes bad penalties. Good to have depth.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Chiasson is Pouliot 2.0. Kills penalties, big frame, inconsistency and of course takes bad penalties. Good to have depth.

The best part is that he costs a fraction of the price. Moving forward we will need cheap bit players to round out our roster year after year. Signing guys after they show up on PTO's gives future players that can't get a contract a reason to come here to our camps.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's less about this signing per se as the fact we're scraping barrel bottom for depth players because of other dumb contracts.
I've been critical of some of the contracts, but I doubt this would have made much difference. Until Sekera got hurt there was no need to really make much of a move at this time but after he got hurt pretty much the only option was bottom of the barrel even if the had more money to spend.

Reactions: Aerchon

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Don't see the problem. You're not signing Garrison or Chiasson to be difference makers. We're talking 7th defenseman and 13th forward. 12 minutes a game, 40 times a year during injury periods or when you want to inject some veterans into the line-up over someone like Bear or Caggiula.

This is the quality and calibre of player who plays that spot. Davidson could have probably done it, but so could 20 other players. Garrison played well, kept it simple, got shots in, didn't make costly mistakes. He makes almost nothing, has no term, can be easily waived and replaced if it stops working. The only possible scenario where Davidson could have been better, maybe, is if you still feel he has a shot at being a top-6 regular. But with Bouchard and Bear, I don't see that happening for him in Edmonton anyway.

Reactions: belair

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The only thing that wanted me to bring back Davidson this year is the fact teams were willing to give up assets to trade for him for whatever reason. I'm not sure why people seem to think he's something more than he actually is.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I've been critical of some of the contracts, but I doubt this would have made much difference. Until Sekera got hurt there was no need to really make much of a move at this time but after he got hurt pretty much the only option was bottom of the barrel even if the had more money to spend.
Even when Sekera got hurt, we needed to fill in a bottom pairing role. The bodies we were bringing in this summer were never meant to be game-changers.

If the team does well out of the gate, I expect there will be upgrades.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
One thing I will say is that a #7 dman is actually very important.. because almost every season... many teams will have their top 6 dmen missing 82+ games collectively... that's an average of ~14 games each... sounds like a lot but that happens almost every year to many teams where all it takes is a couple longer term injuries and a few shorter term injuries.... and then basically all season long your #7 dman (and often even your #8 dman is in the lineup nightly).

I mean we are obviously already seeing it where Sekera is going to be out for likely 50+ games (and maybe the entire season).

Plus you've already got Russell/Larsson banged up... so potentially you are already looking at what should be your #7/8 guys playing constantly in the top 3 pairings all season long.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
The assumption is you're at best guessing how #3D minutes on Tampa two years ago translates to #6/7D minutes on Edmonton this year.

Advanced stats are just "appeal to authority" in a different context.

They are only as good as the authority. Anyone using them is likely fibing through their teeth.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Auvitu was a rock star in his role equivalent to the backup to the backup cowbell player, but a rock star nonetheless.

For real though, he was dirt cheap and got results. All you can ask of your #6/7 guy is to not get murdered when he's on the ice. He never got the chance in a bigger role but I would have liked to see it as I think he would have done well.

I actually watched the games. Auvitu was no rock star.

And he wasnt Pickard fighting the Borg either.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

If you get Pouliot at $650 where he's expected to only play half the games, that's certainly a good thing. That said Chiasson is not as good as Pouliot.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Agree 100%. Chia is just not a good GM. What was the point of signing Jerabek, who assuredly is better than Garrison only to trade him and sign a lesser Dman. Makes zero sense.

But the optics of him rejecting a team where he’d get top 6 minutes for team where he’s a bubble defenseman look bad for us. Our franchise is run by clowns.

Garrison was brought in the provide some competition. He came in and won the spot.

Thats called a win for the GM.

Reactions: Mr Positive

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If you get Pouliot at $650 where he's expected to only play half the games, that's not a bad thing. That said Chiasson is not as good as Pouliot.

He certainly doesnt skate as well as Pouliot. I like Chiasson at that price point though.

Reactions: bone

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I'm honestly just happy that we wont be playing Jerabek. How we got a 6th rounder for that guy I will never know. Chiarelli really does just need to stick to these small deals.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Keep trying this line, it really doesn't make you look like a moron at all.

Keep going on about every little thing , 1/2 of which doesn't even matter . I give the Reinhart trade looks bad and Chia should have gotten more for Hall but with the Reinhart trade who knows if we would have drafted the same players .

I don't often agree with CO but I know like me he is passionate about the Oilers and wants a winning team . Some on here come across as trolls . The TML quickly rebuilt because the signed lots of NHL vets to 1 year deals then moved them at the trade deadline giving them tons of picks . So if we are out of the playoffs move out those contracts for picks .

North

Jun 25, 2009
I like Brandon Davidson the person (and his story) as much as any Oiler fan but there needs to be a little separation between the person and the player.
He wasnt ever good enough to make the top 6 on this team...why would this season be any different?

He couldn’t stick with the Isles, a team desperate for defense.

I like Davidson a lot but he is easily replaceable.

On a side note, it’s like some people have no concept of mod warnings in stickied threads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad