Confirmed with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign Jason Garrison, Alex Chiasson (1 year, $650k)

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Maybe Davidson wanted a fresh start?
Then there are still other players who would likely be better than Garrison. We should have just brought Auvitu back.
Because of the low PDO I just mentioned.
His xGF was dogshit too. He sucks man. His CF% QoC was the second lowest on the team that year and he was still last on Tampa in pretty much every category.

Reactions: OilCountry93

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Oilers could get Karlsson and you would complain about it anyways.
Because stockpiling garbage players when you're already in a precarious cap situation is comparable to acquiring the best dman in the NHL huh? All these small moves add up. A couple million overpay and NMC for Russell, an overpay for Lucic, an overpay for Kassian, and overpay and NMC for Koskinen, an overpay for Draisaitl, a needless Gryba buyout, an overpay for Caggiula, etc. Before you know it, you're right up against the cap and contract limit with a boatload of crap players and a ton of holes in the lineup.

Death by a thousand cuts.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
His xGF was dog**** too. He sucks man. His CF% QoC was the second lowest on the team that year and he was still last on Tampa in pretty much every category.

His xGF is low simply because his possession numbers were poor. It's already been explained why that was the case.

And his TOI% QoC(a far more accurate gauge of QoC) was third on the team. He was playing on the second pairing against second pairing competition.

I'm curious if that original graphic was from a Dellow article. Really seems like his(and the other advanced stats bloggers) style of click bait analytics. Come to a conclusion, find some numbers, frame them so they seem more important than they are(i.e. stats from two years ago), provide the numbers that support it and ignore the context that disproves it.

Reactions: PerformanceMcOil

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I think Chaisson will be next....at League minimum.
The team is at 46 contracts (47 with Chiasson) and having Chiasson and Garrison for a combined total of $1.3M is good value IMO.
Good call on Chiasson

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
His xGF is low simply because his possession numbers were poor. It's already been explained why that was the case.

And his TOI% QoC(a far more accurate gauge of QoC) was third on the team. He was playing on the second pairing against second pairing competition.

I'm curious if that original graphic was from a Dellow article. Really seems like his(and the other advanced stats bloggers) style of click bait analytics. Come to a conclusion, find some numbers, frame them so they seem more important than they are(i.e. stats from two years ago), provide the numbers that support it and ignore the context that disproves it.

Problem with sports analytics in general is that everyone is usually working from a presupposed observation/conclusion from on-field play already before they hit the actual analysis.

It's not like most other mathematical or scientific investigations where the outcome is generally and genuinely unknown before the investigation starts.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton

His possession numbers were poor because he sucks. I'm not arguing that he wasn't playing on the second pairing, I'm arguing that he got his teeth kicked in when he played. Icetime isn't an accurate measure of quality of a player. Just go look at Cody Ceci, or Dan Girardi with the Rangers if you don't believe me.

That graphic is from hockeyviz. The stats are from the past two seasons because he only played 8 games last year (I wonder why). If you think a sample size of a couple preseason games against AHLers is more relevant than a full season of NHL hockey two years ago then you're free to believe whatever you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
His possession numbers were poor because he sucks. I'm not arguing that he wasn't playing on the second pairing, I'm arguing that he got his teeth kicked in when he played. Icetime isn't an accurate measure of quality of a player. Just go look at Cody Ceci, or Dan Girardi with the Rangers if you don't believe me.

That graphic is from hockeyviz. The stats are from the past two seasons because he only played 8 games last year (I wonder why). If you think a sample size of a couple preseason games against AHLers is more relevant than a full season of NHL hockey two years ago then you're free to believe whatever you want.

That doesn't sound very analytical

Last edited by a moderator:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

They're irrelevant numbers. Different year, different team, different role, different player.

It'd be like bringing up Lucic's numbers from two years ago to prove he's going to be great this season.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
That doesn't sound very analytical
Sometimes you need to rely on the eye test :D
They're irrelevant numbers. Different year, different team, different role, different player.

It'd be like bringing up Lucic's numbers from two years ago to prove he's going to be great this season.
It's relevant for figuring out whether or not an aging player is past it. He sucked two years ago, sucked in his 8 games in Vegas last season, and then played the rest of the season in the AHL. His last decent season was in 2014-2015. Being on a new team isn't going to suddenly make him good again.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The assumption is you're at best guessing how #3D minutes on Tampa two years ago translates to #6/7D minutes on Edmonton this year.

I wonder why this guy signed a league minimum contract for what should be a part time gig on one of the shallowest D groups in the league, it must be because he's really good.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He got destroyed playing #6/7 minutes in Vegas last year, and then was promptly sent down. He was also 4th in ES TOI/GP, barely ahead of Sustr.

He was playing in the top4 with Miller and Schmidt when he was called up.

And he was the #3D in Tampa. Dotchin is above him because he played with Hedman after Stralman was injured.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Geez... some of you have too much time on your hands if you're this passionate about a #7Dman signing.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Is there a visual for 5v5?

He played 16:30 5v5 minutes per game and basically split his time right down the middle with Miller and Schmidt.
garrija84

From this image it looks like he spent half his time on the top pairing and half his time on the bottom pairing lol. I'm sure you could split the games up and check his stats for only the games he spent on the bottom pairing but it's probably not worth it given the small sample size. I guess we'll find out over the season if he's suddenly a different player but from what I've seen of him and what the stats say, we probably could have done better if we were looking for a #6/7.

I'd also like to remind everyone that Auvitu absolutely killed it in his bottom pairing role last year. Unreal possession stats, outscored the opposition, and had a killer ES p/60. Guy was a rockstar and never should have been let go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad