Confirmed with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign Jason Garrison, Alex Chiasson (1 year, $650k)

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Or Bear.
I also think that Sekera being assigned to LTIR is forthcoming.

I don't think Bear is making enough for the math to work.

I think they'd be short by something like $10k to sign Chiasson to league minimum if they just sent Bear down.

edit: I can't math, apparently. 720-60=660, so yeah, Bear would work too.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Do you have a can of beans in your possession that you would like to upend and spill?
Doho2KfWwAEDOaQ.jpg:large

This.
Aint.
It.
Chief.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I wonder if we’ll see chiasson done. I think in terms of optimal cap space it would make sense to send bear down now, sign chiasson. Then once we can LTIR sekera have the most space possible and call bear back up.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
Although I though Garrison was decent in preseason considering his past couple of seasons I really don't think that there is an NHL dman there. As @Burnt Biscuits mentions his speed is already not good and could leave him exposed. For a 7th dman it is not the worst but hopefully he is in the press box more often than not.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Really hope he can just keep it together for 40-50 games. By then hopefully we have a better idea what's happening with Sekera and Bear. Maybe even Bouchard.

Then again if this trade ever happens we might only need him to play 10-20 games

I'm not sure how he gets in 40-50 games unless Russell gets hit by a cement truck.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Semi serious question.... anyone know if this included a NMC? Almost assuredly not but I heard/read somewhere that if garrison couldn’t get a contract he’d look at going to Europe rather than back to the minors. I wonder what kind of message they sent to garrison when he signed the deal about the possibility of him ending up in the minors once we get healthy.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Semi serious question.... anyone know if this included a NMC? Almost assuredly not but I heard/read somewhere that if garrison couldn’t get a contract he’d look at going to Europe rather than back to the minors. I wonder what kind of message they sent to garrison when he signed the deal about the possibility of him ending up in the minors once we get healthy.

A one way contract would likely help ease the transition.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
So essentially just the 2016/17 season with Tampa where he played second pairing minutes alongside Andrej Sustr with a large defensive zone push.

I'd say that's worth next to nothing to judge the player today.
He played 430 minutes with Sustr, 664 minutes away from him. When away from Sustr, his offensive zone starts were 50.23% and he had a 49.06 CF% (-4.29% rel) and a 43.75 GF% (-10.2%(!!) rel). He's trash, and wasn't even good in the preseason here over a small sample size.
Who was he playing with in Tampa? Wasn't he generally partnered with Andrej Sustr?

And regardless, Garrison is a depth signing. He's holding the fort until a better option comes available.
See above. He's bad and it's highly likely that he's going to get his teeth kicked in here on the third pairing. You don't exactly need studs on your bottom pairing but we should at least be looking for someone who can tread water. Should have just signed Davidson.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I agree with ya. Good offseason

I respectfully, wholeheartedly disagree. Chia once again failed to address the defense, has Bouchard fall into his lap and then quit trying on acquiring a d-man. Like last year, he didn't bring in any wingers and is placing all hope on young players and internal growth. He overpaid for a sketchy backup- and tied his own hands by giving him a NMC. If he held off on that 2.5M, combined with the money he signed Jarabek for that is 3.5M he could have used to plug another hole. He should have let Drake go, and possibly Benning. That is 6M he could have spent elsewhere, or at least, more efficiently.

Reactions: OilCountry93

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He played 430 minutes with Sustr, 664 minutes away from him. When away from Sustr, his offensive zone starts were 50.23% and he had a 49.06 CF% (-4.29% rel) and a 43.75 GF% (-10.2%(!!) rel). He's trash, and wasn't even good in the preseason here over a small sample size.

Relative GF% is such a pointless stat without context.

Anyone is going to look bad in that regard when you have a low PDO and are being compared to a 72 point Hedman.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

See above. He's bad and it's highly likely that he's going to get his teeth kicked in here on the third pairing. You don't exactly need studs on your bottom pairing but we should at least be looking for someone who can tread water. Should have just signed Davidson.
Maybe Davidson wanted a fresh start?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Or Bear.
I also think that Sekera being assigned to LTIR is forthcoming.

What is the criteria for being put on that list? I assume you would need league approval to avoid teams cheating on bad contracts?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Good for him, he had an option of coming here for a PTO or Chicago, he didn’t choose Edmonton so it doesn’t really make a difference what he ended up signing for.

Ah, well, that seems to be the case. oh well, at least the Oilers got a worse D man, that's what really matters here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->