Confirmed with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign Jason Garrison, Alex Chiasson (1 year, $650k)

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Good low-risk signing. He's been solid so far and has a bomb from the point. If Kris Russell is not ready for season opener I think he would be a good fit with Bouchard on the 3rd pairing.

Kind of unrelated, but I think Chiarelli should get some credit for this offseason. We had a great draft - it's still early, yes, but I can't imagine a better fit than Bouchard here, and McLoed looks like a steal at 40. I think Yawney and Viveiros were great additions to the coaching staff (Glutzan = meh), and Brodziak and Rieder were underrated signings. Nurse's new deal is also great, and Strome's is reasonable as well.

Do you think we see Chiasson get a contract next?

Edit: Mods, feel free to merge this with the Garrison PTO thread. Not sure if this should be separate.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think Chaisson will be next....at League minimum.
The team is at 46 contracts (47 with Chiasson) and having Chiasson and Garrison for a combined total of $1.3M is good value IMO.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Interesting. That puts them over the cap, either someone is getting demoted or they've put Sekera on Season Opening LTIR.

I'm guessing they can do some paper transactions(likely Koskinen?) to open enough room for him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Interesting. That puts them over the cap, either someone is getting demoted or they've put Sekera on Season Opening LTIR.

Are you factoring in the deletion of the Jerabek and Aberg contracts?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Garrisson is a bad player and the oilers would have been better off bringing back Davidson as 7-8 D man but at least it's cheap?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Good low-risk signing. He's been solid so far and has a bomb from the point. If Kris Russell is not ready for season opener I think he would be a good fit with Bouchard on the 3rd pairing.

Kind of unrelated, but I think Chiarelli should get some credit for this offseason. We had a great draft - it's still early, yes, but I can't imagine a better fit than Bouchard here, and McLoed looks like a steal at 40. I think Yawney and Viveiros were great additions to the coaching staff (Glutzan = meh), and Brodziak and Rieder were underrated signings. Nurse's new deal is also great, and Strome's is reasonable as well.

Do you think we see Chiasson get a contract next?

Edit: Mods, feel free to merge this with the Garrison PTO thread. Not sure if this should be separate.
I agree with ya. Good offseason

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Garrisson is a bad player and the oilers would have been better off bringing back Davidson as 7-8 D man but at least it's cheap?

Davidson is not any better or worse than Garrison. We are talking about #7 d men here.

At least Garrison has experience playing in the top 4 on good teams. Davidson is and will always be a journeyman.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I’m a little surprised we signed him, in that he brings more of what we already have. Having said that, with the Jerabek trade and this being at league minimum, I don’t see it as that big of a deal.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
While I agree I'd rather have Davidson, I'm still happy to have Garrison, it was said we missed the veteran leadership of Hendricks last year, Garrison can provide some of that element.

My only concern with Garrison is his speed degrading as the season stretches on, he's already at the minimum threshold speedwise, if he gets any slower he could really get exposed and targeted by teams. On the brightside we have another good depth D in Gravel, if it becomes an apparent problem.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007

I don't get the love of Davidson. He keeps getting waived from other teams. He's not that good. Gravel is the same as Davidson I think and Garrisson with over 500 games brings the experience. Besides Davidson signed with Chicago and I'm sure he's done with Edmonton moving him numerous times.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Davidson is not any better or worse than Garrison. We are talking about #7 d men here.

At least Garrison has experience playing in the top 4 on good teams. Davidson is and will always be a journeyman.

Davidson is what he he is, but what he is is an effective bottom pairing guy in the prime of his career. Garrison is 33 and hasn't been an effective NHLer for at least three years. He's not a top 4 D man. He's barely a bottom pairing D man at this point.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things since we're talking about an extra D, but if there's injuries, it sucks not to have a better option in place.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yup. Only about $60k over.

I think they should be able to sign Chiasson to a similar contract and be under the cap by sending down Pulju or Yam on paper.

Or Bear.
I also think that Sekera being assigned to LTIR is forthcoming.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I don't get the love of Davidson. He keeps getting waived from other teams. He's not that good. Gravel is the same as Davidson I think and Garrisson with over 500 games brings the experience. Besides Davidson signed with Chicago and I'm sure he's done with Edmonton moving him numerous times.

I don't care how experienced a guy is if he can't play the game anymore.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
While I agree I'd rather have Davidson, I'm still happy to have Garrison, it was said we missed the veteran leadership of Hendricks last year, Garrison can provide some of that element.

My only concern with Garrison is his speed degrading as the season stretches on, he's already at the minimum threshold speedwise, if he gets any slower he could really get exposed and targeted by teams. On the brightside we have another good depth D in Gravel, if it becomes an apparent problem.
Really hope he can just keep it together for 40-50 games. By then hopefully we have a better idea what's happening with Sekera and Bear. Maybe even Bouchard.

Then again if this trade ever happens we might only need him to play 10-20 games

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Do you have a can of beans in your possession that you would like to upend and spill?

He's probably referencing the Leavins tweet about another move possibly happening in the next few hours. I put zero stock in it personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad