Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign Jason Garrison (1 year, $650k)

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Garrison was absolutely NHL quality at the start of last season for Vegas. Not fantastic, but good enough to be in the league.

He was pushed out by depth on VGK. And he's probably going to slow down over the course of the season, just due to age. But it's a good no-risk move. He's a steady and boring defender.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Garrison was absolutely NHL quality at the start of last season for Vegas. Not fantastic, but good enough to be in the league.

He was pushed out by depth on VGK. And he's probably going to slow down over the course of the season, just due to age. But it's a good no-risk move. He's a steady and boring defender.
That's really all he's being asked to do is be the 7D who can fill bottom pair if Bouchard/Bear struggle or injuries happen.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

If he was pushed out by Sbisa then that's pretty concerning.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’m certain the peanut gallery will chirp this but they also probably didn’t watch a single preseason game we played in.

Garrison had a good camp and the coaches and his teammates seem to like him. He’s a solid vet that will be eating popcorn most nights and providing a veteran presence in the room. It’s fine.

It’s kind of stunning how bad Jerabek was. William Lagesson and Caleb Jones both looked better and they’re both second year pro fourth round picks.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Never really thought he'd gain a spot, but he did a pretty good interview a month ago and knows the situation he is in.

He came in and did was asked of him and has been rewarded with a NHL contract.

Whether or not he lasts the whole year is one thing, but it would sure be nice for him to be able to stick around for 40-50 games while others get healthy and in the case of Bear/Bouchard, gain experience.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I’m certain the peanut gallery will chirp this but they also probably didn’t watch a single preseason game we played in.

Garrison had a good camp and the coaches and his teammates seem to like him. He’s a solid vet that will be eating popcorn most nights and providing a veteran presence in the room. It’s fine.

It’s kind of stunning how bad Jerabek was. William Lagesson and Caleb Jones both looked better and they’re both second year pro fourth round picks.
This.

I'll take it, low risk cheap move. He's also miles better than Trashebek.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Garrison.

Slow as molasses, and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn or Michael Moore's ass with his slapshot.

Nice guy though. I wish him well.

Reactions: thadd

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Meanwhile, the analytics community is scouring the Earth, desperately trying to find a thing Garrison is good at.

Doesn't look to be too successful.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
As long as he sticks to bottom pairing minutes and maybe some PK the Oil are fine. But Garrison fell off very hard very quickly and hasn't been the same for a while

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
He had a better camp than Jerabek and he will likely be the Auvitu/Gryba role (playing maybe only when absolutely required, and when he is dressed, only getting sub 14min per night).

He still has a good first pass, still has a good shot, and he was unnoticable at camp which was what you want from this role player, He's just slow as heck. the coaching staff will play him accordingly .

Also he's cheaper than Jerabek and its a no risk move.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Cheering for Garrison hes a good guy who deserves better, hopefully he can prove it this year and still pull off a couple a more years

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Good 7th d-man, everyone knows he struggles with speed but if he keeps it simple he’ll be a good fill in. Great personality.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
He was pushed out by Theodore, who started the season in the AHL.
Theodore started the season in the AHL because he was the only one who didnt need to go thru waivers to be sent down.
Vegas had tons of defensemen from the expansion draft and needed time to see how their defensemen played. There was a reason Garrison didnt get much playing time after that, he is not very good....

With that said its a no risk signing and as long as he doesnt take icetime away from a young defender who is good enough to play, there is really no issue with this signing.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Very good guy to have for depth. He'll probably start out as the 7th D, but injuries happen and you can do a lot worse than Garrison to play on the lower pairings.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Good to see a good guy hanging in there.

His skating has to be a major concern, but I hope it works out for him. Always liked him. Good character guy.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Theodore started the season in the AHL because he was the only one who didnt need to go thru waivers to be sent down.
Vegas had tons of defensemen from the expansion draft and needed time to see how their defensemen played. There was a reason Garrison didnt get much playing time after that, he is not very good....

With that said its a no risk signing and as long as he doesnt take icetime away from a young defender who is good enough to play, there is really no issue with this signing.

I know all that. And it doesn't negate anything I said, it supports it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->