Proposal: EDM-MTL (Warning: RNH)

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I want Petry back. Don't really need another winger. Our breakouts are terribad. We can cycle forever with our big physical forwards but moving the puck from the D to N zone is ugly. Our D can extract the puck from the opposing forwards but often make horrible weak outlet passes.

What would you give for him? I'm open to moving Petry, both Lernout and Juulsen have some degree of top 4 potential on the right side

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Nope. Danault and Byron have no value outside of Montreal. They're the equivalent of tossing in a 2nd or 3rd round pick. We have a better version of McCarron in Khaira. And although the 1st has value we aren't in the market for futures. Also, Calgary would never in a million years trade us Tkachuk for two firsts.

I meant draft the younger Tkachuk haha.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Isn't it obvious? Montreal needs a center and is deep on LW. Centers have more value than wingers. I'm just posting the stats as proof that they have a similar impact on the ice currently
And this is the perfect example of why stats don't show the entire story. Byron had a career year last year, and seems to get a breakaway every game I watch. With his speed and the number of scoring chances it generates, he should have scored even more than he did. Nuge is fast, but doesn't rely solely on it like Byron does. His game is much more rounded and polished, and he still has upside to grow. Byron as the centrepiece for Nugent-Hopkins is insulting. He's an add on to a deal, and not an add on to a draft pick, but to a piece that helps the Oilers now.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What would you give for him? I'm open to moving Petry, both Lernout and Juulsen have some degree of top 4 potential on the right side
I've heard Habs fans say that Petry isn't what he was two years ago. If that's the case, we don't want or need him back. I liked the guy, but I wouldn't trade anything for him - he wanted out, he can stay out.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
A deal centred around byron and McCarron as the main pieces makes Edmonton significantly worse today and an 18 year old rookie that might be fully NHL ready in 2 seasons... nope. Not interested.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I've heard Habs fans say that Petry isn't what he was two years ago. If that's the case, we don't want or need him back. I liked the guy, but I wouldn't trade anything for him - he wanted out, he can stay out.

He looks rougher this year, but so does everyone. He has more or less looked just as good if not better as the day Edmonton traded him to Montreal

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I have a hard time believing that any teams would offer a 1st for him. A two 2nd's deal maybe though, I could see that.

I get why Montreal might need a 1st to move him though.

Brendan. Smith. Returned. A. 2nd. and. 3rd.

Petry is A LOT better than Smith, and has term left on a fairly reasonable deal. I'd be really, really shocked if he didn't return a 1st.

EDIT: The comment below doesn't exactly give me the most confidence in my answer lol, still I maintain, I think someone would pony up a 1st

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Petry is A LOT better than Smith, and has term left on a fairly reasonable deal. I'd be really, really shocked if he didn't return a 1st.

EDIT: The comment below doesn't exactly give me the most confidence in my answer lol, still I maintain, I think someone would pony up a 1st

Bad trades don't necessarily set the market value though, and everyone knew that was a bad trade for Smith. I suppose someone could make a bad trade for Petry too though, ha ha.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I want Petry back. Don't really need another winger. Our breakouts are terribad. We can cycle forever with our big physical forwards but moving the puck from the D to N zone is ugly. Our D can extract the puck from the opposing forwards but often make horrible weak outlet passes.

What about Petry (1 mil retention) + Plekanec for RNH + Fayne?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
RNH is a good 2C but is vastly overpaid and overrated. If the kid had a hit of $3.5-$4, then maybe you make a play for him but this is one of those situations where EDM paid for his potential rather than wait for his production.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
RNH is a good 2C but is vastly overpaid and overrated. If the kid had a hit of $3.5-$4, then maybe you make a play for him but this is one of those situations where EDM paid for his potential rather than wait for his production.

Thats true to an extent but good 2Cs make 5-6 these days, 1Cs make 8+

Id prefer if he made 4.5-5 but 6 isnt outrageous for him......

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013

Marc Methot only returned a goalie prospect and a 2nd in 2020 and he's better than Petry

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
There were better deals but he wouldnt waive to go.

Edit: actually im not sure the deal was better but i remember MB was really pushing to get him to waive to come to Montreal.

Point remains the same, someone else quoted a deal where a lesser d returned more I mentioned one where a better d returned less and were the other mystical Methot deals including a 1st?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

A side tangent. I'm not sure if you followed NCAA hockey back in 2007-2009 but B.Smith was considered a MUCH better prospect - more dynamic offensively and of course he was drafted by the "draft gods" Red Wings so he was bound to be the next Lidstrom. But if you watch him you could see the defensive flaws whereas Petry played a steady role (up to 30 mins - as I recall due to team injuries) on a horrible Spartans team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad