Proposal: EDM-MTL (Warning: RNH)

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
McCaron a bust ? He is 22 years old and wasn't even a high first round pick .

I guess Anthony mantha and burakovsky are both busts too

Shea Theodore too

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
McCaron a bust ? He is 22 years old and wasn't even a high first round pick .

I guess Anthony mantha and burakovsky are both busts too

Shea Theodore too

Calling him a bust is unfair. But the Oilers have Kassian, so he's redundant. As is Byron, who plays left-wing. Just like Maroon, Lucic, Jokinen, Caggiula, Khaira...

The only thing in that proposal that holds value for the Oilers is the 1st. And even then, it doesn't help them immediately as they are playoff contenders and first thing they would need to replace is Ryan Nugent Hopkins and that 1st does squat to fill that hole.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Calling him a bust is unfair. But the Oilers have Kassian, so he's redundant. As is Byron, who plays left-wing. Just like Maroon, Lucic, Jokinen, Caggiula, Khaira...

The only thing in that proposal that holds value for the Oilers is the 1st. And even then, it doesn't help them immediately as they are playoff contenders and first thing they would need to replace is Ryan Nugent Hopkins and that 1st does squat to fill that hole.

Again... Byron plays both wings... he would also be your 2nd highest scoring winger behind Lucic.

Maroon had 42 points playing with McDavid, Byron had 43 points playing most of his minutes with Plekanec. Lucic only scored 50 points last year and he has one of the worst contracts in the league and is trending downwards fast.

Jokinen was a shell of his former self last year in Florida, he could still bounce back with the right linemates but he isn't as good as Byron is currently. I like Drake a lot but he plays a similar game to Byron just nowhere near as effectively.

And you can't be serious about Khaira, the guy is 23 and has 1 career goal. If McCarron is a bust Khaira should retire because he's worse at just about everything :laugh:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
With the potential cap crunch the Oilers will be facing in 2018 the return for RNH might be just picks/prospects if he doesn't have a good season.

If he has a great season then I think he stays and PC finds another way to make cap space.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Are Montreal fans seriously still pushing the idea that Byron's as good as his 20+ goal season suggests? The guy shot a ridiculously high shooting percentage, so unless he either a]shoots well over 20% again or b]takes over 200 shots next season, I'm willing to bet that he won't come close to similar production again.

Byron is not your typical shooter type of winger that will take a ton of shots and hope it goes in.

He scored almost all his goal on breakaways or 5 feet from the net, rebounds, and tips.

I don't know if he'll score 20+ again but his production isn't based on luck.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
So the moment teams start preventing those breakaways, Byron becomes a useless tit, is essentially what you are saying.

He's in a league of about 30-40 other guys who are just as fast, if not faster than he is. Your assumption that a 22% shooting rate isn't abnormal is asinine. That would be among the five highest of all-time.

The moment teams start preventing McDavid breakaways, his scoring will fall by half. It's that easy, folks!

You pretend it's about "clutch" shooting and not just the fact that he takes relatively so few shots that aren't breakaways.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Again... Byron plays both wings... he would also be your 2nd highest scoring winger behind Lucic.

Maroon had 42 points playing with McDavid, Byron had 43 points playing most of his minutes with Plekanec. Lucic only scored 50 points last year and he has one of the worst contracts in the league and is trending downwards fast.

Jokinen was a shell of his former self last year in Florida, he could still bounce back with the right linemates but he isn't as good as Byron is currently. I like Drake a lot but he plays a similar game to Byron just nowhere near as effectively.

And you can't be serious about Khaira, the guy is 23 and has 1 career goal. If McCarron is a bust Khaira should retire because he's worse at just about everything :laugh:

Wanna know who else will trend downward fast? Paul freaking Byron. The guy who only scores goals on breakaways apparently. You keep comparing him to proven NHL talents who are eons better than him. Watch his stats go bye bye next year. You'll see.

The moment teams start preventing McDavid breakaways, his scoring will fall by half. It's that easy, folks!

You pretend it's about "clutch" shooting and not just the fact that he takes relatively so few shots that aren't breakaways.

So are we saying Paul Byron and McDavid are similar players? Or are we saying Connor McDavid only scores his goals on the breakaway?

McDavid took 251 shots last season. Byron took 96. And yes, you can prevent breakaways.

Like I said. Byron is Andrew Cogliano--except it took him until he was 27 to get there.

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Wanna know who else will trend downward fast? Paul freaking Byron. The guy who only scores goals on breakaways apparently. You keep comparing him to proven NHL talents who are eons better than him. Watch his stats go bye bye next year. You'll see.

So are we saying Paul Byron and McDavid are similar players? Or are we saying Connor McDavid only scores his goals on the breakaway?

McDavid took 251 shots last season. Byron took 96. And yes, you can prevent breakaways.

Like I said. Byron is Andrew Cogliano--except it took him until he was 27 to get there.

No, we're pretending that a huge amount of McDavid's offense comes in transition. Which it does. Lots of pundits talk about cutting him off before he gets out of the zone, but it's far more easily said than done.

No shame to be the next Andrew Cogliano - he is a very underrated player.

Oilers fans really overvalue Nuge. He's better than Byron, yes, but he also has a far worse contract. His production is ok but he doesn't drive a line, and his defensive work is overrated. I wouldn't trade Gallagher for him straight up.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Oilers fans really overvalue Nuge. He's better than Byron, yes, but he also has a far worse contract. His production is ok but he doesn't drive a line, and his defensive work is overrated. I wouldn't trade Gallagher for him straight up.

Oiler's fans don't overvalue Nuge, they just can't understand trading him.

They have cap space, and aren't really looking to shake it up. Their head coach loves Nuge. Why trade him?

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Oiler's fans don't overvalue Nuge, they just can't understand trading him.

They have cap space, and aren't really looking to shake it up. Their head coach loves Nuge. Why trade him?

They only have cap space because they traded away Eberle. And Hall before that. With how poorly Chiarelli manages assets, they'll soon be back there, and faced with the choice of trading a player like RNH or have no depth at all. Both the Habs and the Oilers should be in win now mode because of future cap constraints.

I understand if Oilers fans wouldn't want to part with the best player in a situation like that, but some of the comments on RNH recently go beyond a refusal to trade and more into the territory of generally overrating the player.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
They only have cap space because they traded away Eberle. And Hall before that. With how poorly Chiarelli manages assets, they'll soon be back there, and faced with the choice of trading a player like RNH or have no depth at all. Both the Habs and the Oilers should be in win now mode because of future cap constraints.

I understand if Oilers fans wouldn't want to part with the best player in a situation like that, but some of the comments on RNH recently go beyond a refusal to trade and more into the territory of generally overrating the player.

Why? Because we're not willing to accept one freak season from Byron as the centrepiece for him?

There's a difference between overrating and properly rating.

habitants9_4

Sep 22, 2003

A lot of people don't watch Byron. He is a 20 goal scorer on a 3rd line. You can play him with anyone as he creates opportunities and at around a million the Oilers would take this.

McCaron is going to be a good 4th line c

First round picks are big to

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
A lot of people don't watch Byron. He is a 20 goal scorer on a 3rd line. You can play him with anyone as he creates opportunities and at around a million the Oilers would take this.

You're trying to sell high after one good season that he's highly unlikely to repeat. Can't say I blame you - I advocate trading Maroon now for the same reason - but Byron doesn't fetch RNH. No matter what's added.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Read again some of the posts in the thread. Byron gets a lot of his shots on breakaways. This is why he has such a low shot total for a forward. And the conversion rate on a breakaway is higher than pretty much any other type of shots. That is a case of stat analysis without context from your part.

So your "analysis" consists of saying he'll repeat his 20+ goal season again and again is because he gets a lot of breakaways and it's easier to score on breakaways? That's an incredibly weak argument, especially since Byron has exactly one season to back up your argument.

Did he not get breakaways his first few seasons in the league where he had a career high of 11 goals prior to this season?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
So your "analysis" consists of saying he'll repeat his 20+ goal season again and again is because he gets a lot of breakaways and it's easier to score on breakaways? That's an incredibly weak argument, especially since Byron has exactly one season to back up your argument.

Did he not get breakaways his first few seasons in the league where he had a career high of 11 goals prior to this season?

He scored 11 in 62 GP last year playing mainly with Mitchell and Flynn on the 4th line.

If he gets the opportunity to play with some talent this year I can definitely see him get 20 again.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011

Shooting % 23

Realistically it's going to be ~ half of that next year.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He scored 11 in 62 GP last year playing mainly with Mitchell and Flynn on the 4th line.

If he gets the opportunity to play with some talent this year I can definitely see him get 20 again.

If it was such a sure thing they should play him on the first line. He'd score line 40 goals!!! Clutch Byron going for the Rocket Richard Trophy!!!

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
If you traded RNH for Byron and Plekanec that easily helps Edmonton contend right now, even if it's poor value. Your fellow Oilers fans in this thread have already said the difference between RNH and Plekanec next season is minimal.

Pleks and Byron scored 70+ points last season combined. They were also one of the best PK duos in the league.

1) Just because they score 70 plus points last year does not mean it a + for Edmonton . We lose 43 points from RNH ( 43 points on a down year ) Then we lose points from who ever is out of the line up for Byron . Then considering the fact RNH is a young top 6 C it is just terrible value . Better to lose Maroon and some others and keep RNH . We can built around

Centre depth of

1) McDavid
2) Draisaitl
3) RNH

Wingers

1)Puljujarvi
2) Yamamoto
3) Lucic

Defence

1) Klefbom
2) Larsson
3) Nurse/Benning

Fill the rest in with cheap vets every year . The core is young and will keep the oilers competitive for years to come . Next part of your statement

They were also one of the best PK duos in the in the East .........I fix that part for you as the west is a different animal

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Why? Because we're not willing to accept one freak season from Byron as the centrepiece for him?

There's a difference between overrating and properly rating.

More so the comments re: Pacioretty. Or the idea that RNH and a prospect could get Gallagher+Danault.

Shooting % 23

Realistically it's going to be ~ half of that next year.

Actually that's not realistic. As has been outlined before, he is an 18.3% career shooter, despite the couple of stinker years in Calgary when he was still getting lots of breakaways but bungled most of them. Take out those two Calgary years and last year aligns pretty neatly with his career average.

I don't know how many times people have to be told before they believe it, but he just doesn't take a lot of lower quality shots that most players do to lower their shooting percentage.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Montreal still likely to hit middle of pack back end of season. Remove Byron, siwtch McCarron for Galchenyuk.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
both fan bases are over rating their own players .. Nugent Hopkins isn't worth a 1 st rd pick being included as part of any trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad