Proposal: EDM-MTL (Warning: RNH)

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
I could see this being the type of deal that the Oilers would do to remove Nuges cap hit after this season. Not much reason to make the trade right now because the Oilers already have a ton of cap room this season.

Might as well keep him and see if he rebounds. At the very least it could improve his trade value.

Next summer when everyone knows where they are picking. I could see how a late first, mediocre prospect and a depth player with a much lower cap hit could make sense.

For now though, I would have to pass.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
So if Crosby's on the ice, Julien is throwing out Paul Byron, is he? Paul Byron is a depth left winger who had a career year last season. I'd be shocked to see him duplicate it. I actually like the guy, but in no world are these two comparable. If Paul Byron had RNH's workload from last season the Oilers probably would've missed the playoffs.

On the PK, definitely. At ES.... the answer is still yes. He played on Plekanec's wing for the majority of last season, who has been our shutdown center for the past decade.

And I hate using +/- but it seems Byron was more effective than RNH as he was a +21 while RNH was a -10, a 30 point gap.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Funny how many think MTL is a bubble team at best (or one to miss the playoffs), but suddenly in trades, MTL's 1sts = late 1sts, lolololol. MAKE UP YOUR MIND PEOPLE!

That said, I would counter offer:

Gallagher
Plekanec (50% retained)

or

Shaw
Plekanec (50% retained)
Byron
2nd 2018

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I got one simple question for Oilers fans:

Are the Oilers better with Plekanec and Gallagher or with RNH??

I'm just curious to know what you guys think. Because i don't think the Habs are better with RNH. Althought he fits our needs long term.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Great rebuttal 12 post guy... should have said "If the Habs acquired RNH, the pick would still be bottom 15."

What about Shaw + a 1st round pick for RNH straight up? You get a 3rd C in Shaw who plays with aggression, and a top-15 pick in a strong draft year?

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I got one simple question for Oilers fans:

Are the Oilers better with Plekanec and Gallagher or with RNH??

I'm just curious to know what you guys think. Because i don't think the Habs are better with RNH. Althought he fits our needs long term.

For just next year, Pleks and Gally. Plekanec as a 3C for next year would not be that far of a drop off from RNH, if at all... adding Gallagher would be a bonus.

Now move forward from there... I wouldn't move RNH for Gallagher straight across.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
What about Shaw + a 1st round pick for RNH straight up? You get a 3rd C in Shaw who plays with aggression, and a top-15 pick in a strong draft year?

If I didn't dislike Shaw as much as I do then it makes total sense... so for me personally I would struggle to make the trade but other than that it makes sense.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
For just next year, Pleks and Gally. Plekanec as a 3C for next year would not be that far of a drop off from RNH, if at all... adding Gallagher would be a bonus.

Now move forward from there... I wouldn't move RNH for Gallagher straight across.

RNH for Plekanec + 1st? I would do that.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
If I didn't dislike Shaw as much as I do then it makes total sense... so for me personally I would struggle to make the trade but other than that it makes sense.

IMO Byron has more value than Shaw, by a decent margin. Both of them played center before they came to Montreal but haven't played much center for the Habs.

And if you're worried about liking the player, seeing Byron on the Oilers would **** off a lot of Flames fans so that's a bonus :laugh:

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
And if you're worried about liking the player, seeing Byron on the Oilers would **** off a lot of Flames fans so that's a bonus :laugh:

This is absolutely true. Put Byron on McDavid's wing. Call it the breakaway line. The Flames would love it. Mmm

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
To Edmonton:

Paul Byron
2018 first
Michael McCarron

To Montreal:
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Fair? Over/underpayment?

If Montreal trades with a team like Colorado, they can save more of their "now" assets and trade futures for Duchene.

A team like Edmonton would want "now" assets.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
a polite no from oilers,
McCarron status is edging into a bad territory. Usually I say it takes big guys and D longer to develop--but McCarron is looking like a bottom 6 guy. Not a fan of Byron.

the fact is Byron did have the best season of his career with 22 goals and 43 points, but can he continue to score close to what he did last season and at around 5' 8" can he handle the bigger players in the Western conference? and McCarron is suspect as an NHL scorer but at just 22 he likely still has a chance to prove he can score at this level and there's no denying his size and toughness. other than that it's a reasonably fair trade where the Oilers can save around $4 mil/per.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
So 1st OA

for

Waiver wire player

late 1st

1ST round bust.
In case you've never watched hockey in your life, being a 1st overall pick means absolutely nothing when considering trade value.
In addition, that "waiver wire player" scored 22 goals last year :facepalm:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oh look another handful of spare parts from Montreal for RNH.

Wash, rinse, repeat. No.

How about Maroon, 1st, and Jones for Pacioretty? Or are Hab fans only interested in giving up packages of lesser pieces for better players?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It's summer. We love to wash, rinse, and repeat.

That's great, but it's always some combination of Byron/Plekanec/McCarron/picks. None of these things - or all of them combined - help Edmonton contend right now.

Trading RNH robs us of the ability to play McDavid and Drai together. That shouldn't be done lightly or for underwhelming pieces.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Oh look another handful of spare parts from Montreal for RNH.

Wash, rinse, repeat. No.

How about Maroon, 1st, and Jones for Pacioretty? Or are Hab fans only interested in giving up packages of lesser pieces for better players?

The fact is, Byron and RNH aren't that different right now. Byron is actually a lot more productive in his P/60, and more effective defensively. I'm not arguing that Byron has more value than RNH, bc Nuge still has potential to increase his scoring and he plays a more important position, but the overall impact they have on the ice isn't that different.

Paul Byron P/60: 2.11
RNH P/60: 1.78

As for your package... not that comparable. Which player did you include that outproduced Pacioretty last season? RNH and Byron both ended up with 43 points, but Byron scored more goals, played 1 less game, had a lot less TOI, and received almost no PP time.

The Oilers don't need to make a deal like this until next offseason which is understandable, but I highly doubt they end up with a package that helps them as much. Put Byron on McDavid's wing and that's easily the fastest line in the league, doesn't matter who plays with them.

If Byron is a spare part, I'm sure you consider RNH one as well. I appreciate the condescending remarks though :handclap:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The fact is, Byron and RNH aren't that different right now. Byron is actually a lot more productive in his P/60, and more effective defensively. I'm not arguing that Byron has more value than RNH, bc Nuge still has potential to increase his scoring and he plays a more important position, but the overall impact they have on the ice isn't that different.

Paul Byron P/60: 2.11
RNH P/60: 1.78

As for your package... not that comparable. Which player did you include that outproduced Pacioretty last season? RNH and Byron both ended up with 43 points, but Byron scored more goals, played 1 less game, had a lot less TOI, and received almost no PP time.

The Oilers don't need to make a deal like this until next offseason which is understandable, but I highly doubt they end up with a package that helps them as much. Put Byron on McDavid's wing and that's easily the fastest line in the league, doesn't matter who plays with them.

If Byron is a spare part, I'm sure you consider RNH one as well. I appreciate the condescending remarks though :handclap:

Good, I'm sure you're more than happy to keep Paul Byron then as we'd like to hang onto RNH for the time being. Edmonton don't particularly need him and would rather hang onto our top 6 centre depth until we're forced to give him it up.

Keep in mind - you're approaching Edmonton, who has absolutely no reason in the slightest to move RNH before next offseason. Top 6 C's are valuable, particularly to contending teams, and what you're offering doesn't move the needle.

Byron had a nice season but 1) could easily be a flash in the pan as his time in Calgary shows he's more of a 3rd/4th liner, and 2) wouldn't get gifted a spot beside McDavid. He doesn't help us win right now. RNH can play 2nd line minutes and do it well which allows us to play McDavid with Draisaitl.

Byron is found money for you guys, but that doesn't mean Edmonton is about to move a top 6 C for a tiny winger that - last time he was in the West - didn't look capable of even being an everyday NHLer.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
That's great, but it's always some combination of Byron/Plekanec/McCarron/picks. None of these things - or all of them combined - help Edmonton contend right now.

Trading RNH robs us of the ability to play McDavid and Drai together. That shouldn't be done lightly or for underwhelming pieces.

If you traded RNH for Byron and Plekanec that easily helps Edmonton contend right now, even if it's poor value. Your fellow Oilers fans in this thread have already said the difference between RNH and Plekanec next season is minimal.

Pleks and Byron scored 70+ points last season combined. They were also one of the best PK duos in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad