Rumor: EDM - COL - STL: Mentioned by Friedman

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Has there been a thread on this rumor that Friedman mentioned in his 30 thoughts yet? I haven't seen one.

Stauffer who leaked the Larsson info also mentioned today on radio for Oilers fans to keep their eyes on Colorado.

So here's the rumour from Friedman:

Crazy proposal that made its way through the NHL on Tuesday: Tyson Barrie to Edmonton, Shattenkirk to Colorado and one of the Edmonton forwards (Hall? Jordan Eberle?) to St. Louis. The problem is some people are convinced this was someone’s concoction to see how fast it could get around.

This builds on the previous rumour that the STL GM wanted Eberle or Hall for Shatty. But considering Shatty can decide where he wants to go essentially with his ability to agree to or not agree to any extension this might work.

I think this trade works for all 3 teams. Colorado fans might need to chime in though.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Besides, considering age (24 vs 27) and status (2 more RFA years for Barrie) I'd take Barrie over Shatty 10 times out of 10. Shatty will ask for even more money than Barrie so it'd be a pointless trade even if it was possible.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Besides, considering age (24 vs 27) and status (2 more RFA years for Barrie) I'd take Barrie over Shatty 10 times out of 10. Shatty will ask for even more money than Barrie so it'd be a pointless trade even if it was possible.

That makes sense. Thanks for posting this. Probably a rumour without teeth then.

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
Maybe something around Barrie for Nugent-Hopkins. But I'm not sure COL wants to give up on Barrie, and I'm not sure if the Oilers want to move RNH now (at least not until seeing how the offence bounces back without Hall).

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Colorado can't give up Barrie without a defenseman coming back.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Colorado can't give up Barrie without a defenseman coming back.

Sakic has been (reportedly) trying to acquire a top D via trade (using Duchene as a bait, maybe). If he can do it then Barrie for RNH makes a lot of sense. Otherwise, I agree with you. AVS aren't trading Barrie for a forward without getting some serious help at D first.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Avs Fans: So if there's a chance Shatty signs in Colorado happily. Would you swap Barrie for Shatty?

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
I understand Colorado fans saying it is a lateral move but Shattenkirk does put up more pts and runs a power play better than Barrie. Maybe that is enough incentive? Don't take this as bashing Barrie, he's a good young dman I would have no problem taking on my team.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I understand Colorado fans saying it is a lateral move but Shattenkirk does put up more pts and runs a power play better than Barrie. Maybe that is enough incentive? Don't take this as bashing Barrie, he's a good young dman I would have no problem taking on my team.

And Barrie drives the play better at even strength.

Avs fans would much rather have Barrie at 5.5-6.0M over Shattenkirk at 7M. In our eyes they're basically the same player but Barrie is younger and likely looking for less money.

EDIT: As for the RNH/Barrie swap. That's another trade that makes less then no sense for the Avs. We have tonnes of Center depth and just drafted another Center in Jost in this years draft.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Why is it the Avs cant add a D man to go along with Barrie? Why all this trade Barrie talk? You have the worst D core in the NHL. Might be smart to keep your best one

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Why is it the Avs cant add a D man to go along with Barrie? Why all this trade Barrie talk? You have the worst D core in the NHL. Might be smart to keep your best one

It doesn't make sense if they're dealing Barrie for a forward. It does make some sense if they're replacing Barrie with a better two-way defenseman. As good as he is, I definitely understand not wanting to spend that kind of money on a player with his flaws. If the Avalanche had a balanced core that was ready to contend and he could put them over the top, that's one thing, but I understand the belief that he's not a player to build around.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008

Maybe they are shopping Barrie+ to try to bring back a better dman?

stpn47

Feb 10, 2012

Thankfully there's no chance at all that we would trade Erik Johnson

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
My point is stop trying to upgrade Barrie. Move one of the top end forwards for a solid #2-3 D man so you can have Barrie + the new guy

Colorado is using both its top prospects (Bigras and Zadorov) in bigger roles this year (per Sakic).

So I don't think we will see them bulk up the blue line much.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

He does?

Anyway the proposed deal is terrible from Avs POV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad