Confirmed with Link: [EDM/CHI] Caggiula + Garrison for Manning + Norell

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
It bothered me that he acquired 2 more bottom pairing dmen, who really are not any better than what we have there. And that's not giving Benning any kudos, believe me. With Russell coming back shortly before the trades were made, we should have sat tight. Jones is better than the lot of them, already.
Do you think Jones should stay up or not? I go back and forth on that with him.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The oilers included Caggiula in the deal because they needed to balance dollars in for dollars out. And hitch didn’t seem particularly keen on him.

That’s my assumption at least and it seems to make some sense.

The issue isn’t what we gave up. Caggiula isn’t really an NHLer. It’s that we traded for manning at all. And that he has a contract for next season.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The oilers included Caggiula in the deal because they needed to balance dollars in for dollars out. And hitch didn’t seem particularly keen on him.

The issue isn’t what we gave up. Caggiula isn’t really an NHLer. It’s that we traded for manning at all. And that he has a contract for next season.

Caggiula is a guy with solid hands who could probably give you 15 goals in a good year.

He's not consistent enough to be a Top 6 player every day and he can't really play in the bottom 6 either, but he's a lot closer to being an NHLer than Manning is.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Caggiula is a guy with solid hands who could probably give you 15 goals in a good year.

He's not consistent enough to be a Top 6 player every day and he can't really play in the bottom 6 either, but he's a lot closer to being an NHLer than Manning is.

Plus he's gotten better every year. Unlike 80% of our roster.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Cagguila was probably our second best scoring winger after Chiasson...

How very, very sad.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Cogs was looking like he might be gone 2 years down the road too though. He was starting to turn into the 200 foot 3rd liner when we traded him, but it wasn’t a guarantee

Nah Cogs was already showing he was a good player. He always lacked finish but the big thing was he needed to learn how to play wing. He played like a center but didn't have the strength to handle the position in the show.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Most players that didn't work out here just weren't used right. If we tried to use Cogliano as a third liner rather than the #2C we imagined him to be, he would prob still be on the team. Schultz wasn't good enough to be a #1 dman here, we ruined his confidence and motivation, when really he would've fit in great as a top 4 defensemen here today. Lots of players we brought in over the years appeared useless here then suddenly turned it around elsewhere. It's almost as if we're a toxic org that ruins everything it touches.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

That last part is probably true. Manning is worse than worthless.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Exactly this. They traded for one of the worst defensemen in the league and the GM actually coveted said player.

That's a huge problem.

Reactions: BudBundy and TB12

North

Jun 25, 2009
Most players that didn't work out here just weren't used right. If we tried to use Cogliano as a third liner rather than the #2C we imagined him to be, he would prob still be on the team. Schultz wasn't good enough to be a #1 dman here, we ruined his confidence and motivation, when really he would've fit in great as a top 4 defensemen here today. Lots of players we brought in over the years appeared useless here then suddenly turned it around elsewhere. It's almost as if we're a toxic org that ruins everything it touches.

The thing is MacT did mention that he saw Cogliano as a Marchant type player and Cogliano got pissy. He still viewed himself as a scorer.

It's only when Anaheim told him that's how they viewed him too that he embraced the role. Some players need a second opinion. He was one of them.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
The thing is MacT did mention that he saw Cogliano as a Marchant type player and Cogliano got pissy. He still viewed himself as a scorer.

It's only when Anaheim told him that's how they viewed him too that he embraced the role. Some players need a second opinion. He was one of them.

MacT sees Todd Marchant everywhere.

Reactions: North

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Yep. Joe Sakic without the skating was I believe what MacT said about Reasoner.

You bet.

Prime Marty Reasoner would look good in our bottom six.
So would Caggiula. I am bummed about the trade. It really was the most pointless, undefendable move.

But I am glad Manning hasn't been totally useless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->