Confirmed with Link: Edler was asked to Waive NTC- Edler declined

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
only the pens ended up trading for a dman with a big contract.

the edler rumour was about the pens. the pens were also rumoured to be in on ceci shortly afterwards.

doing the math, the pens were trying to move pearson for a dman with a roughly equal contract and they tried edler, then moved to ceci. whatever they would add was not enough for edler or ceci or whoever else they chased, so they settled for guddy straight up just under the wire.
Again, it wasn't a rumour. It was straight-up speculation, there was no suggestion he had actually heard anything.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
And we also heard that he wanted an extension before waiving too. He doesn’t view the getting traded as a chance to increase his value in free agency.

He’s ok letting his play in Vancouver determine his next contract. Fair enough.

This is something Benning needed to work on for a long time, not the day of the deadline. It should have been made clear to Edler that the team was looking to get younger and the 33 year old had no future here, and he should have been talking to other teams for the past couple weeks about Edler and letting Edler's agent talk extension with other teams.

But no. Benning didn't want to move Edler because he wants to re-sign him because the Canucks aren't rebuilding.

Reactions: racerjoe

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
This is something Benning needed to work on for a long time, not the day of the deadline. It should have been made clear to Edler that the team was looking to get younger and the 33 year old had no future here, and he should have been talking to other teams for the past couple weeks about Edler and letting Edler's agent talk extension with other teams.

But no. Benning didn't want to move Edler because he wants to re-sign him because the Canucks aren't rebuilding.
Or, he wanted to resign him because he didn't want to be traded, had refused trades in the past and was willing to resign at a reasonable figure and term.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Okay here is the problem with this: Edler declined to waive his NTC because Benning has been talking extension with him. It's been reported already that if Edler were told that he weren't in the Canucks plans going forward that he would waive his NTC. That isn't the case. Benning talking extension with Edler gave him zero motivation to waive his NTC. This is another blunder by Benning.

I wish less people had you on their ignore list so they can be entertained with these golden takes !

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Benning did, he ruined his favourite team.

Yep ! Love this team tho. Not perfect nor has it been a smooth ride but that's why its gonna be sweeter when we win the cup in the future. Wont care if its Benning or wherever at GM.

I hold Benning accountable for a lot of things but failing to get someone to waive an NTC is not on that list. That's on Gillis.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
are we talking about shah? because there certainly is a suggestion he had heard somethying

You're right on. But in terms of the person you quoted I wouldn't bother. It is not apt to actually discuss anything. There is a line and it will stick to it.

And Sat clearly got his line from Edler's camp. There is no reason for the organization to leak that and Sat has no sources league-wide.

So there was a path to trade Edler if they wanted to. Benning either decided to ignore it or wanted nothing to do with it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don’t think Edler wanted to be a rental. If he waived it’s like burrows and gets extended right away. What team would do a deal better than the Canucks right now? I would think non playoffs teams in the summer are the more likely teams to exceed what the Canucks are offering cause they have cap space and the need to get better.

Maybe he doesn’t fit with his new club. Do I think it would blow up in his face if he doesn’t play well? I doubt it but then again I didn’t think Hansen would not fit in SJ and be out of the NHL. That may be a major reason for him to want a deal done now. Don’t take chances. Plus he could get hurt.

I would be happy to be corrected but what I was getting at here is Benning just literally said that they asked Edler's agent about waiving after other teams contacted him. This is essentially a business transaction, and it should be the GM's job to put in some leg work to broker it. Benning should know ahead of time whether Edler's camp would be willing to waive before teams came calling. If this is something where Edler would only waive if the new team gave him an extension, Benning should be finding out ahead of time where he'd be willing to go and initiating the call with those teams himself.

So the point is whether or not Edler would have waived regardless the way Benning played this, again by his own words, there was 0 chance it was going to happen.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Edler's camp pretty much leaked in the last couple days through 650 that he'd waive if there was an extension in place with a competitive team.

I'm assuming Benning didn't even bother to figure that out.

This will be completely ignored by a certain segment of posters here.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

Competitive teams need to want to offer him a long term contract. Clearly they didn't. Looks like we dont wsnt to either which is why an extension isn't signed yet.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I would be happy to be corrected but what I was getting at here is Benning just literally said that they asked Edler's agent about waiving after other teams contacted him. This is essentially a business transaction, and it should be the GM's job to put in some leg work to broker it. Benning should know ahead of time whether Edler's camp would be willing to waive before teams came calling. If this is something where Edler would only waive if the new team gave him an extension, Benning should be finding out ahead of time where he'd be willing to go and initiating the call with those teams himself.

So the point is whether or not Edler would have waived regardless the way Benning played this, again by his own words, there was 0 chance it was going to happen.
Well if that's how you wanna look, it is JB's fault for not able to convince Edler

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

Your assuming lots....like the fact you dont think Benning was working behind the scenes w agent or other teams about Edlers limitations.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Competitive teams need to want to offer him a long term contract. Clearly they didn't. Looks like we dont wsnt to either which is why an extension isn't signed yet.

What a load of horse shit. There are so many things wrong with your post so I’ll just stick to this: Edler will 100% get a long term contract in July.

Still the most under appreciated Canuck of all time although that seems to be mostly coming from our least analytical “fans”.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Of course it will. There's already people in this thread trying to spin some ridiculous jibber jabber to justify it.

The fact is:

1. Pittsburgh made an offer (maybe multiple);
2. The Canucks brought it to Edler;
3. Edler said: "I'll waive with an extension to go to Pittsburgh."

We don't know if the Pens were the only bidders over the past year, or if they wouldn't give Edler the contract he wanted, or what. But it sounds pretty likely Edler would have waived for a "good" team with a competitive extension. I just highly doubt management even explored the opportunity. They didn't based on Benning's quote in this thread.

Reactions: PM

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
I'm disappointed that now that they're out of the race, Edler wouldn't waive with the intention of resigning. He helps the team, and he's back next year. Hell, even offer him an extra year of term if it means getting a 1st round pick this year for him. I really do think, however, that his camp just was not willing to waive no matter the circumstance.

Edler just smashed his face and is still recovering. He probably... just didn't want to. I wouldn't.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sure, if you ignore reality it's on Gillis. But I live in reality, and reality is it's been reported that Edler would have waived if the Canucks made it clear he wasn't in their plans. That's on Benning.
You are putting waived that he would go as a rental which clearly he has no interest in.

And seriously, is a contending team that has to more carefully manage their cap than the Canucks currently have really going to outbid the Canucks in terms of contract?

Pitt or any playoff really willing to do a 3rd nmc year? No chance.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
You're right on. But in terms of the person you quoted I wouldn't bother. It is not apt to actually discuss anything. There is a line and it will stick to it.

And Sat clearly got his line from Edler's camp. There is no reason for the organization to leak that and Sat has no sources league-wide.

So there was a path to trade Edler if they wanted to. Benning either decided to ignore it or wanted nothing to do with it.

or benning didn't like the pens offer for edler in the first place (the same as dorion did not like the pens offer for ceci).

or benning decided to trade gudbranson to the pens instead.

there are many possibilities on why benning did what he did. i like the end result.

and a cynical man would say that edler's agent is trying to have his cake and eat it here. edler spends years loudly saying he will not waive then on the eve of the tdl suddenly his agent makes blatant leaks to local media to (a) suddenly complain negotiations are "nowhere" and (b) suddenly hint that edler will trade to a contender if extended.

why is this happening? the answer is that edler's agent has got a pr battle ahead of him. fans will expect a hometown discount from a guy who refused to waive. so the agent tried to muddy the waters to suggest maybe he could have been traded.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
The only way I want Edler back is on a two year with no NTC/NMC. Give him $5.5Mx2. He'll be worth quite a bit next trade deadline.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You are putting waived that he would go as a rental which clearly he has no interest in.

And seriously, is a contending team that has to more carefully manage their cap than the Canucks currently have really going to outbid the Canucks in terms of contract?

Pitt or any playoff really willing to do a 3rd nmc year? No chance.

Should the Canucks give a 3rd nmc year? Absolutely not.

Stop coming up with lame excuses to defend Benning. He screwed up the situation by telling Edler he wants to re-sign him. If he made it clear that Edler had no future here, back in September, a deal would have been worked out. There would have been enough time for Edler's agent to talk to interested teams.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
or benning didn't like the pens offer for edler in the first place (the same as dorion did not like the pens offer for ceci).

or benning decided to trade gudbranson to the pens instead.

there are many possibilities on why benning did what he did. i like the end result.

and a cynical man would say that edler's agent is trying to have his cake and eat it here. edler spends years loudly saying he will not waive then on the eve of the tdl suddenly his agent makes blatant leaks to local media to (a) suddenly complain negotiations are "nowhere" and (b) suddenly hint that edler will trade to a contender if extended.

why is this happening? the answer is that edler's agent has got a pr battle ahead of him. fans will expect a hometown discount from a guy who refused to waive. so the agent tried to muddy the waters to suggest maybe he could have been traded.

But Benning did ask him to waive, so we know Benning liked the offer, whatever it was.

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Besides Pittsburgh I imagine Winnipeg and Tampa could have been lurking around. Tampa was interested last year according to Friedman and the Jets seem to be down a LHD with Morrissey injured.

I wonder if it's possible Edler and Gudbranson could have gone together since they also acquired Chris Wideman after as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->