Edler on the right side

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
It would be nice if we could have Edler and Garrison both playing the left side. Instead of loading up one pairing they could each anchor their own pairing. Edler could use a reliable vet to babysit him and play the right side while he creates offense form his usual left side. I could see Garrison and Tanev working well together also.

Yes non pasaran and all that, but it would be wide open on the right side then!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I've said this every time it's been suggested that Edler convert to the right side...

It just doesn't work. He's arguably our most dominant defenceman when he's on the left and on top of his game. On the right side, he's a lesser player and just never looks at all comfortable.

Why downgrade the effectiveness of one of our best blueliners, trying to force a fit with Garrison on the Left? It's why i wasn't, and still am not completely sold on Garrison being a great signing. We've committed ourselves to a LOT of years of 4 Left side blueliners at 4.5-5M dollar range. That could come back to burn us.

And i don't think it's just a 'timing thing' because of the short season. Edler has looked like this every time he's been swapped over.

Maybe he'll eventually adapt, but i'm not convinced. I wouldn't be surprised if sooner or later...we end up seeing Edler back on the left, with Tanev beside him. It all depends on how Tanev continues to progress as a player...but i don't see why it can't work, and imo, it's just a better fit for everyone all around.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I've said this every time it's been suggested that Edler convert to the right side...

It just doesn't work. He's arguably our most dominant defenceman when he's on the left and on top of his game. On the right side, he's a lesser player and just never looks at all comfortable.

Why downgrade the effectiveness of one of our best blueliners, trying to force a fit with Garrison on the Left? It's why i wasn't, and still am not completely sold on Garrison being a great signing.

And i don't think it's just a 'timing thing' because of the short season. Edler has looked like this every time he's been swapped over.

Maybe he'll eventually adapt, but i'm not convinced. I wouldn't be surprised if sooner or later...we end up seeing Edler back on the left, with Tanev beside him. It all depends on how Tanev continues to progress as a player...but i don't see why it can't work, and imo, it's just a better fit for everyone all around.

I agree. Edler looked uncomfortable playing on the right while playing with it in the corners. I makes him worse both offensively and defensively.

I think we should work our pairings like so:

Edler Tanev
Garrison Bieksa
Hamhuis Ballard

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
I agree. Edler looked uncomfortable playing on the right while playing with it in the corners. I makes him worse both offensively and defensively.

I think we should work our pairings like so:

Edler Tanev
Garrison Bieksa
Hamhuis Ballard

If Hamhuis could do for Ballard what he did for Bieksa, this team would be unstoppable.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Yeah I don't see the logic in splitting up that pairing.

I do however see the logic in keeping Keith Ballard off the right side of the ice, where he is atrocious. Edler may be substantially worse than his potential in his own zone when he plays on his off side, but that is still NHL calibre play.. can't say the same for KB4.

Maybe once Ballard is off the team we can find a player to replace him who is capable of playing the right side, then we can ice a blueline where every player is comfortable in their position and we have three very, very strong pairings.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Yeah I don't see the logic in splitting up that pairing.

I do however see the logic in keeping Keith Ballard off the right side of the ice, where he is atrocious. Edler may be substantially worse than his potential in his own zone when he plays on his off side, but that is still NHL calibre play.. can't say the same for KB4.

Maybe once Ballard is off the team we can find a player to replace him who is capable of playing the right side, then we can ice a blueline where every player is comfortable in their position and we have three very, very strong pairings.

I don't think it's out of the question to say Frankie could be ready for the bottom pairing right side role next season. I guess it kind of depends on if the Rangers go to the Mem Cup. I'm assuming he finishes the season in the AHL where I expect him to acquit himself well.

rebel diamond

Sep 2, 2008
Toronto

This. The tricky part of switching sides isn't playing one-on-one on the rush. That's just a matter of angles and timing that any talented dman will pick up after some time there. The fact that Edler hasn't played in 8 months made him look really bad against Eberle, who was the best player in the AHL this season and is in peak form. The bigger issues with switching sides are less obvious and can't be summed up in one high(low)light clip. Playing on your off side makes it harder to pick up the puck in the corner and turn for a breakout pass or fight to win battles and clear the puck along the side boards. Those are the biggest problems with playing the off side.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Considering Garrison can play both sides, I thought it odd they force Edler to make the adjustment. Regardless, his timing and nerves are what's hurting him more than anything.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Considering Garrison can play both sides, I thought it odd they force Edler to make the adjustment. Regardless, his timing and nerves are what's hurting him more than anything.

Garrison can play the right side on the powerplay but has publicly stated he's not comfortable there at even strength.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad