Edler on the right side

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
This hasn't been mentioned much but I really think Edler should play the left. His pivoting to the right isn't great and was really lost on the Eberle goal. I thought this goal should have been stopped by Luongo but Edler really misplayed it, which happened several times over the last two games. Even if Lou stops that, you have Manny sliding facefirst into the end wall and Edler without a stick.

It's something worth keeping an eye on.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Played it poorly but we've also seen Hamhuis and Bieksa getting burned this season and neither is playing on their off-side or with a new partner. It's just a timing issue, it will get better. Keep in mind the Oilers have like 13 players on their roster who are in mid-season form, including their whole first line.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Played it poorly but we've also seen Hamhuis and Bieksa getting burned this season and neither is playing on their off-side or with a new partner. It's just a timing issue, it will get better. Keep in mind the Oilers have like 13 players on their roster who are in mid-season form, including their whole first line.

This. The goal really had more to do with Edler not keeping his feet moving than anything, I'd say.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver

Well, that's nothing new, but Hamhuis getting walked is not the norm. ;)
It was a hell of a shot and Eberle is a fantastic player, but I think Luo wasn't in very good position on that.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
There was a lot of blame to go around on that one.

Frankly with Edler I'm prepared to give him a lot of leeway on his change in position.

He shouldn't be forgetting how to play a 2-on-1 or how to stay between his man and the net, but the finer points may just take awhile.

If Garrison is as solid as advertised and Edler can help outscore any problems that JG can't cover for, then they're doing their job for now.

Fa Ci La

Mar 2, 2012
i kinda thought when they announced Edler was playing on the right side they'd hold off signing a deal until they saw whether he was still horrible on the right side........

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
This. The goal really had more to do with Edler not keeping his feet moving than anything, I'd say.

The difference is his free hand isn't available to play the body. His top hand is the outside hand He has to adjust by moving outside or learn to hip check.

That all being said, he made a fantastic play breaking up the pass on his goal.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
He'll adapt to the right side...

That said....I think we should sticky this thread for all the poeple that think right vs. left is not an issue for D. It's a very big issue for the majority of the D-men in the NHL.

StringerBell

He got beat by one of the best young players who's in midseason form after only playing one game himself in 8 months. It's probably best to give him a couple of games to get his legs back before we declare him ineffective on the right.

People seem to forget he was very effective playing on the right with Ohlund in 08-09. Also, let's not pretend he didn't get beat a few times on the left throughout the last couple seasons.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
If he continues to struggle defending off the rush on the right side, switch Garrison over and see if he handles it better. I'm sure both guys are going to be playing their off side at some point this season.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I think it's a mistake to constantly be trying to shoe horn one of our big money defensemen on to the right side. Ballard should be replaced with someone boring and reliable that prefers playing the right side.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Someone boring and steady
Garrison - Tanev

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
I think it's a mistake to constantly be trying to shoe horn one of our big money defensemen on to the right side. Ballard should be replaced with someone boring and reliable that prefers playing the right side.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Someone boring and steady
Garrison - Tanev

Edler - Garrison

Tanev - Ballard/Alberts/Barker

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
garrison only plays the right side on the pp. and not even strength... so it wouldnt work. this team has too many lefties. 2 righties.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Edler - Garrison

Tanev - Ballard/Alberts/Barker

It would be nice if we could have Edler and Garrison both playing the left side. Instead of loading up one pairing they could each anchor their own pairing. Edler could use a reliable vet to babysit him and play the right side while he creates offense form his usual left side. I could see Garrison and Tanev working well together also.

Outside99*

I'm going to wait a lot more games before passing judgement but I'm pretty sure if Eberle does that on the other side against Edler, he might get by as well right now.

Edler et al. are not in mid-season form; the Eberle's of the NHL who've been playing for 3 months, are.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I'm going to wait a lot more games before passing judgement but I'm pretty sure if Eberle does that on the other side against Edler, he might get by as well right now.

Edler et al. are not in mid-season form; the Eberle's of the NHL who've been playing for 3 months, are.

Edler has never really been that shut down guy though. He's young enough that he might still get there but he's really an offensive Dman with a physical edge to his game. I think you should use him like we use Bieksa and pair him with someone like Mitchell to get the most out of him.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
We got him locked up. If it takes him half a season to get used to the right side then in the long run how awesome would it be to have an elite defenceman that can play both sides?

Outside99*

Edler has never really been that shut down guy though. He's young enough that he might still get there but he's really an offensive Dman with a physical edge to his game. I think you should use him like we use Bieksa and pair him with someone like Mitchell to get the most out of him.

I'd agree with that but are u saying he should be on the left and needs a partner other than Garry or Garry should be on the right, or just find another partner?

My take is its fine the way it is as long as Garry plays the shut down role; both can't be doing it.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I'd agree with that but are u saying he should be on the left and needs a partner other than Garry or Garry should be on the right, or just find another partner?

My take is its fine the way it is as long as Garry plays the shut down role; both can't be doing it.

Yeah, this idea is contingent on shipping Ballard off and bringing in that boring, dependable vet that plays the right side.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Yeah, what killed him wasn't that he was on the right side, but rather the lunge up at Hall which left him totally flat-footed and the total lack of any back pressure on that play which allowed the Oilers to lull up like that to disrupt the gap in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->