Rumor: Edler might be on the block along with several other players

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
you use the sarcasm smiley, but it's not like we'd be getting much older if we dealt either of them for Edler. Edler is 27 right now. Kindl is 26 and Smith is 24. Moving either for Edler doesn't really go against the idea of rebuilding on the fly, except we get a much more established, better player.

Yeah, I'd do it.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I could see them moving Edler. They're going to be in cap hell pretty soon, even if they move Luongo. Moving Edler might make sense with Hamhuis, Bieksa, Tanev, and Garrison still left. The price would be pretty high though obviously.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think it would be a bad idea for the Wings. I think the Wings would ultimately be dealing from a position of weakness to a position of strength. They'd likely move forward prospects (Tatar, Jurco, Jarnkrok) or a draft pick (probably both) and that would be a stupid move for reasons I already stated.

Even if it ends up being defensive prospects, I don't particularly like the idea because it'll definitely include a first rounder and I don't think the Wings should be done building up the system. In my opinion, one more high quality scoring center prospect and the Wings are ready to cautiously consider dealing picks and prospects. But no sooner. I know we all are in playoff mode, but this team isn't ready for prime time just yet.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think it would be a bad idea for the Wings. I think the Wings would ultimately be dealing from a position of weakness to a position of strength. They'd likely move forward prospects (Tatar, Jurco, Jarnkrok) or a draft pick (probably both) and that would be a stupid move for reasons I already stated.

Even if it ends up being defensive prospects, I don't particularly like the idea because it'll definitely include a first rounder and I don't think the Wings should be done building up the system. In my opinion, one more high quality scoring center prospect and the Wings are ready to cautiously consider dealing picks and prospects. But no sooner. I know we all are in playoff mode, but this team isn't ready for prime time just yet.

Basically if we land Horvat or someone like that I agree, things start to take shape all areas have some cover in terms of the system.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
no real desire whatsoever, why?

1. he would cost too much

2. we dont need smaller skilled dmen, we need big skilled forwards, and a big mean stay at home dman who hits and blocks shots with hsi face if he has too

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
2. we dont need smaller skilled dmen, we need big skilled forwards, and a big mean stay at home dman who hits and blocks shots with hsi face if he has too

Edler is 6"3 (did I type that correctly? 6 ft 3 in) and blocks more shots than any D we have except Kronwall. Hits more than anyone on our D, too.

I'd really like him on Detroit. The only thing I'd hesitate about is his cost, but if that's reasonable I'd do it.

CloneHakanPlease*

You dont find players like Edler often. Any prospect/young player but Jarnkrok would be worth it imo. I love Tatar but a Tatar + 1st package would probably garner some talking

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
You dont find players like Edler often

then why is he on the block? somethings fishy here. they wanna overhaul so they are trading their key pieces?

maybe vancouver GM intentionally let this slip so that he wants to do a price check on him or something.

Either way, somethings up with Edler.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
then why is he on the block? somethings fishy here. they wanna overhaul so they are trading their key pieces?

maybe vancouver GM intentionally let this slip so that he wants to do a price check on him or something.

Either way, somethings up with Edler.

He is the only real core player without an NTC. Sedins, Kes, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison and Burrows all have em. Edlers doesn't kick in until next season.

He's also currently a terrible hockey player, so there's that.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Edler is 6"3 (did I type that correctly? 6 ft 3 in) and blocks more shots than any D we have except Kronwall. Hits more than anyone on our D, too.

I'd really like him on Detroit. The only thing I'd hesitate about is his cost, but if that's reasonable I'd do it.

I dont think Edler is considered a tough or mean or bruising or hard to play against dman regardless of statistical height

he simply isnt what we lack or what we need

our problem is a lack of high impact forwards in particular ones with size(and not just on paper)

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
He is the only real core player without an NTC. Sedins, Kes, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison and Burrows all have em. Edlers doesn't kick in until next season.

He's also currently a terrible hockey player, so there's that.

how does Canucks replace Edler then? I was told this year's UFA market is pretty weak.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
how does Canucks replace Edler then? I was told this year's UFA market is pretty weak.

they don't need to. They have four solid vets (Hamhuis, Ballard, Bieksa, Garrison) signed, Tanev. It's not like us dealing Kronwall and leaving a gaping hole behind him. They can back fill to a degree, and not be hurt if it fills needs elsewhere.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
I dont think Edler is considered a tough or mean or bruising or hard to play against dman regardless of statistical height

our problem is a lack of high impact forwards in particular ones with size(and not just on paper)

I didn't say he was a heavy-hitting bone-breaker. I simply corrected you when you called him small, and pointed out that he would still be an upgrade in both the hitting and the blocking department.

Whether he's what we need or not is of course more debatable, but I tend to agree with Flashy. We're a puck possession team that has big problems with the outlet passes. We're not going to be anything else any time soon, so that's what we need to rectify first and foremost. Edler would help with that.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

Weren't you leading the charge to get Bouwmeester?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Weren't you leading the charge to get Bouwmeester?

Yep but I think I made two points, point #1 and thus the most im portant, COST TO ACQUIRE HIM

jaybo cost next to nothing to land, dont think edler comes so cheap

and furthermore that was also before we saw just how solid DD is and it became more evident that its up front we need the greatest help not on the blueline

if we are gonna move the resources it would take to land edler, i would prefer we did so instead to land a top line forward(edlers equivalent)

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
i don't expect vancouver to trade him, and i don't think it would be a good idea for them.

Do we want another offensive defenseman?
yes

transition game and breakouts are probably among the worst among playoff teams. weak blueline is also an important reason for weak offense. edler would also be useful on PP.

OTOH, canucks have better offensive depth, transition game and possession game than DRW.

He also makes defensive mistakes galore. Bieksa is the #1 defensive defenseman on that team.
i'm fairly sure hamhuis is their best defensive d-man. canucks fans seem to think garrison has also been better than bieksa. bieksa makes a lot of defensive mistakes, but i don't know which makes more mistakes.

i would say edler is more physical than any d-men here, other than possibly ericsson, but that is obviously a low standard.

improving the transition game is a very important need, for both defense and offense.

Last edited:

RedWingsNow*

Watching Stuart and Hannan is fun.
That's exactly the kind of third pairing/PK we need.

Scott Hannan could have helped us a lot this year at almost no cost.
Not instead of Kindl or Smith. But instead of Quincey or CC or White.

Anchor Town*

if people don't think Edler is physical. Obviously don't watch him much if at all

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad