The Star: Edit - Kulemin, Bozak, Kessel, Gleason make teammates better

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Thought this was a very interesting article by Kevin Mcgran that was probably overlooked due to the Olympics and the break.

By: Kevin McGran Sports Reporter, Published on Tue Feb 04 2014

Cribbed for copyright rules. Entire article in link below.

MAKING PLAYERS AROUND THEM BETTER

I read with some interest an article by the Star’s new department of hockey analytics, that pointed out, among other things, that Alex Ovechkin is not the kind of player that makes the players around him better.

That got me to thinking: Who on the Maple Leafs possesses this trait? It’s a rare ability.
If you remember, Mats Sundin had that ability. No further proof required than the fact he turned a borderline NHLer in Jonas Hoglund into a 29-goal scorer.

There are three current Leafs who fit the bill to some degree: Tyler Bozak, Phil Kessel and — this is a little off centre —Tim Gleason. Each make the players around them better, for different reasons.
The case for Bozak: Bozak, who has a legion of detractors out there, is the glue that keeps the first line together. There’s no question Kessel and James van Riemsdyk missed Bozak. There’s no question the team missed Bozak.

He’s not really a point producer, although he’s been fine on that front lately. It’s more his hockey sense that shines. He tends to be in the right place at the right time. He doesn’t mind backchecking. He’s quite good in his own zone.

With him in the lineup, the Leafs are 18-12-3, earning 39 of a possible 66 points, or a .590 points percentage.
Without him, the Leafs went 12-9-3, earning 27 of a possible 48 points, (.563).

Continued ..

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...teammates_better_kulemin_on_trade_market.html

Last edited:

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
a right handed gleason would be nice, gleason has been amazing since coming over very happy with him.

Last edited by a moderator:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
“It’s the synergy of the three,†said Leafs assistant general manager Dave Poulin. “It’s one of the most dynamic lines in hockey with Tyler there.

“There’s been so much conversation about whether he’s a first-line centre. All I know is that’s the first line when he’s there.â€

Kind of hard to debate sometimes.

Apparently the guys on Leafs lunch thinks his HIQ is tops. Intelligence can be more important than superior skill, as in knowing when to do something and being aware of the game around you.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kind of hard to debate sometimes.

Apparently the guys on Leafs lunch thinks his HIQ is tops. Intelligence can be more important than superior skill, as in knowing when to do something and being aware of the game around you.

Kessel/Ovie distinction was interesting.

Kessel makes players better, Ovie not so much. But Ovie is a better player.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am going to nominate Nik Kulemin as a player that makes his teammates better.

Lupul and Kadri are different players when he is on their line.

When Bolland comes back, he may have the same effect on Clarkson and Raymond

Bozak, Kulemin, Bolland = GLUE

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I am going to nominate Nik Kulemin as a player that makes his teammates better.

Lupul and Kadri are different players when he is on their line.

When Bolland comes back, he may have the same effect on Clarkson and Raymond

Bozak, Kulemin, Bolland = GLUE

I agree with this, but last year you could say Kadri and Lupul could make their lines better as well. Kadri had Frats going and Lupul has had Kessel going. I think Kules helps complete the line. Clarkson you just hope works with Bolland for the teams sake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad