Edguy's December Mock

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Ran Tankathon for the standings. I also added a couple lines explaining each pick. Look forward to talking bout it

1. Ottawa Senators- Quinton Byfield, C Sudbury (OHL). OK here me out. An elite #1C is hard to find, arguably the hardest thing to find in the sport. The Senators need one bad too, and that is just what Byfield is going to be.
2. Columbus Blue Jackets- Alexis Lafreniere, LW Rimouski (QMJHL). The Blue Jackets really just need elite talent, regardless of position. They find that here in Laf. He is a game breaking talent and can single handily control the game. Columbus is laughing their way to the stage with this pick.
3. Detroit Red Wings- Jamie Drysdale, D Erie (OHL). OK again here me out.. Yzerman isn’t afraid to take his guy, regardless of popular opinion. The Wings need defence some badly and Drysdale is going to be a work horse for them. He is by far the best defenceman in the draft. I think this is a great pick for them.
4. New Jersey Devils- Lucas Raymond, RW Frolunda (SHL). Devils get their big time winger here. Hall is likely gone, and their depth on the wing, especially in the top 6 isn’t great. Raymond will be a very quick fix for that.
5. LA Kings- Tim Stutzle, C Mannheim (DEL). The NCAA committed euro, is one of if not the best skater in the draft. He is going to give the kings a new look up front, the guy can stop and start on a dime, his hands are just as smooth. This guy is going to be a player. His hockey IQ Is sky high. The Kings haven’t had a guy like this in a very long time.
6. Chicago Blackhawks- Cole Perfetti, C Saginaw (OHL). One of the best goal scorers in the class learning from one of the best in the league (Patty Kane)? I’m all for it. Perfetti has an elite shot, can score from anywhere on the ice. The Hawks have a nice group of young talent and adding Perfetti makes that offense borderline unfair.
7. Anaheim Ducks- Dylan Holloway, C Wisconsin (NCAA). This guy just screams ducks pick to me. A big power forward who can really play in all situations. This is the kinda guy all 31 teams want. Ducks fans will hate the pick now, but they’ll love him when he gets playing.
8. Calgary Flames-Alexandre Holtz, RW Djurgarden (SHL). Somethings gotta give in Calgary. A new young elite goal scorer should really help put them right back where they should be right now, in the playoffs.
9. Montreal Canadiens- Marco Rossi, C Ottawa (OHL). Rossi is small, but powerful. He isn’t afraid of playing the game on the edge. But the best part is, he can score. Always a threat when he’s on the ice. I personally think he fits Julien’s coaching style to a tee.
10. Minnesota Wild- Anton Lundell, C HIFK (LIIGA). Not the flashiest guy on the ice, but by far a very solid 2 way center who can do everything. This guy is going to log minutes for the wild for a long time. Honestly I think their own captain is a perfect comparison.
11. Vancouver Canucks- Connor Zary, C Kamloops (WHL). A 2-way centerman who is going to go to the dirty areas. Score those “Greasy” goals. Has good speed. I see him as a shutdown 2C down the line. He is going to kill penalties, almost act as a 3rd defenceman out there. Personally would love him on my team. The kind of guy you win championships with.
12. Carolina Hurricanes (VIA TOR)- Rodion Amirov, RW Toplar UFA (MHL). The Canes owner himself has said in the past they will only draft forwards in round 1 under him. But Amirov isn’t a reach just to get a forward. This guy has mad talent. He is going to cycle the puck and make plays. His stick handling could rival that of Kane.
13. Nashville Predators- Shakir Mukhamadullin, D Tolpar Ufa (MHL). An elite shutdown dman. I think he is going to shoot up that draft boards post WJC. He reminds me of Sergei Gonchar, big shutdown dman who can quarterback a powerplay with a bomb from the point.
14. Buffalo Sabers- Yaroslav Askarov, G SKA 1946 (MHL). Here he is, the goalie that Buffalo needs to be a truly elite team. He should be ready very soon too which is a big help. The franchise goalie Buffalo has been missing since Miller.
15. New York Rangers- Jeromie Porier, D St John (QMJHL). The next great offensive dman outta the Q. The rangers could really use that kind of offensive support from the blue line. He can completely control the game from the back end.
16. Vegas Golden Knights- Mavrik Bourque, C Shawinigan (QMJHL). One of the biggest risers in the draft, very creative with the skills to match. Can be a big threat on the half wall on the powerplay. Will be a nice playmaking center for the knights in the future.
17. Ottawa Senators (VIS SJS)- Lukas Cormier, D Charlottetown (QMJHL). The Sens have a very deep prospect pool in all areas really. Cormier is just a premier player who stands for everything the sens do. One of the most selfless, kind caring people out there. Will do anything to help a team win, a coaches dream. His skills are an added bonus, future #2 LHD behind Chabot?
18. Tampa Bay Lightning- Jean-Luc Foudy, C Windsor (OHL). High IQ guy who can anticipate the play well. Speed is the name of his game, but also has a deadly shot. Would be a great addition for a loaded Tampa team.
19. Dallas Stars- Seth Jarvis, RW Portland (WHL). Small winger with a ton of skill. Has the hands and shot to score from anywhere on the ice. Will be a great secondary piece for the Stars down the line.
20. Pittsburgh Penguins- Jake Sanderson, D USNTDP (USHL). Geoff Sanderson’s kid, a great 2 way defender, who seemingly is getting better and better offensively. Bears a heavy shot from the point and can quarterback a powerplay. I feel like he is going to be a steal in a few years.
21. Florida Panthers- Dawson Mercer, RW Drummondville (QMJHL). High IQ guy, with amazing tangibles. Very opportunistic, you make a mistake against him he will make you pay. His playmaking will be able to rival any player on the ice.
22. Arizona Coyotes- Jan Mysak, C Litvinov (Extraliga). A prolific goal scorer, this guy is going to contribute offensively from anywhere in the lineup. I find he is a bit one dimensional though, and does need to work on his play without the puck.
23. Winnipeg Jets-Emil Andrae, D HV71 (SHL). The puck moving defenceman is going to rack up a lot of points. He is agile on his edges and can rush play up ice. Can read plays well, but can’t keep up with speedy forwards on the rush I find.
24. Carolina Hurricanes- Zion Nybeck, RW HV71 (SHL). A small speedy winger to the canes just make sense, they seem to want to build a quick team and Nybeck can help there. He is great at escaping big defenders using his speed. He’ll be a great add for them.
25. Philadelphia Flyers- Jake Neighbours, LW Edmonton (WHL). This guy just screams flyers pick to me. Tough rugged winger who can score. Plays right into their philosophy. He plays all situations and is just the kinda guy every coach wants on his team.
26. Colorado Avalanche- Justin Sourdif, RW Vancouver (WHL). This guy isn’t going to light up the world offensively, but he is going to play hard in all 3 zones and create space for the guys the Avs already do have, to score. It’ll be a great depth pick for the Avs who seem to have few holes on their team.
27. New York Islanders- Sean Farrell, LW Chicago (USHL). A prolific goal scorer in the USHL, but has been known for his high energy and motor. The guy is going to go to Harvard next year too so I mean, the kid is smart. I think He will be highly sought after on draft day.
28. Edmonton Oilers- Noel Gunler, RW Lulea (SHL). This guy was a one trick pony for a while there, it was just all offense. But recently has shown a very improved defensive game. I think him next to McDavid or Draisaitl would be crazy dangerous.
29. Washington Capitals- Braden Schneider, D Brandon (WHL). He isn’t one of those flashy defencemen, But he is one of if not the best defensive defenceman in this draft. I see him as a future Methot where he can allow his partner to really run free.
30. St Louis Blues- Luke Touch, LW USNTDP (USHL). He plays very similar to his older brother Alex. Power forward who can score. Very effective players. I think St. Louis would love a player like that.
31. Boston Bruins- Theo Rochette, C Chicoutimi (QMJHL). Great 2 way centerman. Will help contribute in all areas of the ice. Has a great breakout pass from the d-zone too. I think he will be a great complimentary player for the Bruins.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
15. New York Rangers- Jeromie Porier, D St John (QMJHL). The next great offensive dman outta the Q. The rangers could really use that kind of offensive support from the blue line. He can completely control the game from the back end.
Come on Ed!

NYR have the highest offensive output from Dmen in the league. Fox, Trouba, DeAngelo all have that high potential for serious offensive contribution so the statement is pretty wide of the mark.

NYR dont need any more defensive prospects and are craving Centers. Crying out for Centers. This has to be their only choice going into the first round of this draft.

Reactions: QJL and Dan Kelly

Plekatorz

Jun 6, 2019
It would be the BPA for MTL so nothing agaisnt it. Drysdale is a little bit high but it is not a reach. Good job man.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Gunler would be a fine pick for the Oilers and a much needed RW prospect with question marks around our other RW prospects Puljujarvi and Yamamoto, but i'm not convinced he'll still be there at the bottom of the draft should the Oilers indeed pick there?

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
and EdGuy you don't have to explain about Byfield potentially going #1 at the draft because he'll put up great numbers too but also he's a center and Hockeydb has Lafreniere listed as a winger and also Byfield could be pretty gigantic by draft day standing at 6'5" or 6'6" and 220+ ! might be awful hard to pass up on potentially a center with Ryan Getzlaf type size and potential talent ! o_O

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Come on Ed!

NYR have the highest offensive output from Dmen in the league. Fox, Trouba, DeAngelo all have that high potential for serious offensive contribution so the statement is pretty wide of the mark.

NYR dont need any more defensive prospects and are craving Centers. Crying out for Centers. This has to be their only choice going into the first round of this draft.

I second this. The Rangers are drafting a center. Offensive production from the defensemen is absolutely not a draft need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad