Eden Hazard retires

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

It was the Chelsea team of Hazard and Mata that turned me from a casual to a diehard. I've never seen a player like him - playing for pure love of the game, fairly uncompetitive, and just having the time of his life. When Hazard was enjoying his football, he was the best player in the world (sans Messi obviously). Stand by the fact that he should've gotten the Ballon d'Or in 2018.

Happy retirement Eden :heart:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Amazing to think I was crazy about him as a 16 year old in youth NT competitions.
Then at Lille with his last season being breathtaking, Harlem globe trotter like.
Then Chelsea, quickly became EPL's MVP.
He was also the driving force behind Belgium's performances, much more than De Bruyne will ever be.
He almost did it in 2018.

Reactions: Power Man

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Good career, but could have been so much better, especially towards the end.

Chelsea timed his transfers perfectly from the club's perspective.

Last edited:

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
He was also the driving force behind Belgium's performances, much more than De Bruyne will ever be.

That's a wild statement, one I vastly disagree with.

But yeah it's crazy, he basically stopped being a top level player at 28. Had that amazing WC '18 and that was it... He says he played 16 years but really it was only 12. Seeing Martinez force him into the starting line-up at the WC last year and seeing him struggle, seeing how slow he had become, it's a painful way to go out. I honestly wouldn't know which club he could have signed for, maybe Saudi or MLS but no top European club would have signed him anymore I think.

Loved watching him and he will probably go down as the most talented Belgian player ever -or second behind Enzo Scifo- but as said by others, never had that "do everything for the game" mentality and just lacked the unwavering professionalism needed to keep being great into his 30s when your body starts to decline.

Good career, not great, too short as well.

Reactions: sr edler

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
The Ronaldinho of Belgium football (although less talented). Amazing talent and dribbling but very poor conditioning that made him useless at a young age.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
That's a wild statement, one I vastly disagree with.

But yeah it's crazy, he basically stopped being a top level player at 28. Had that amazing WC '18 and that was it... He says he played 16 years but really it was only 12. Seeing Martinez force him into the starting line-up at the WC last year and seeing him struggle, seeing how slow he had become, it's a painful way to go out. I honestly wouldn't know which club he could have signed for, maybe Saudi or MLS but no top European club would have signed him anymore I think.

Loved watching him and he will probably go down as the most talented Belgian player ever -or second behind Enzo Scifo- but as said by others, never had that "do everything for the game" mentality and just lacked the unwavering professionalism needed to keep being great into his 30s when your body starts to decline.

Good career, not great, too short as well.
I've never seen KdB or Lukaku come anywhere near the heights for the NT as Hazard did. De Bruyne especially was a passenger outside of a nice goal against Brazil. The golden generation busted at tournaments outside of Hazard and Courtois carrying them in 2018.

He had a great career. If the PL had a "player of the decade" award, it would've been him for the 2010s.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
It's a bit ironic with that signature counter attack goal Belgium scored on Japan at the Worlds, he wasn't part of that play but just kinda ran by himself down the other wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00