Ed Snider: "We will have another cable network other than ESPN."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GagneScores12

Jul 14, 2005
Ontario
ScottyBowman said:
'
Are you kidding me? Pretty well educated. I'm about to be an engineer in a year and hang out with engineers every day and none of them have said they watched wrestling or even talked about wrestling.

Yes, but the true question is: have any of you engineers ever talked to a woman without having to give your credit card number first? People, get a life. The NHL needs to do something with it's marketing scheme and while wrestling maybe "trailer trash" the fact is that they know how to market their product. I don't think the NHL needs to do a "Joe Thornton vs Jarome Iginla in a barbed wire steelcage death match", but they do need to do something in terms of a fresh new marketing approach. What they currently have is stale. There is no vision, no plan on how to make this league more appealing. So, while Vince McMahon maybe the lowest common denominator in terms of his sports entertainment franchise, he is successful in that he knows how to market its stars. The NHL could learn something on how to market its stars.

S.S. Giggy

RIP 1974-2011
Jun 14, 2002
Getzlaf's Bald Spot
Visit site
I think the reason why hockey is not getting popularity revolves around 1 word: Bandwagon. I see people bandwagoning other people into their behavior, into their sport(basketball), into life. The victim, literally, is being succumbed to the other's influence(which isn't good).

It's not about TV ratings being low, it's about people's opinions. I see people criticizing hockey while they don't even know the sport. They say they don't like it when they've never even watch a game let alone following the sport itself. By the time one person gets a glimpse of what the sport has to offer(before the clutching and grabbing) then they go crazy for the sport. Us Americans live in a society where there's no originality. Everyone's trying to be everyone else.

International Football(Soccer) is the most popular sport in the world. This is not the case in America. In America, Soccer has one of the lower ratings when it comes to TV, why? Again, people are trying to follow other people just so they could fit into society. If one person says so and it is convincing(often times, deceiving) enough, then everyone else would follow. Why? Everyone's trying to fit into society. If the words: "Bandwagon" or the term; "sucking up to one another" didn't exist, then hockey wouldn't be in the economic state that they were in, in the first place. A couple weeks ago, when I was chatting with some friends, I put up a topic about Hockey. One bad mouthed followed by another, then another, then another and so on until the point where I just took down and swallowed it. Why did it happen? How come? The answer is right above you. No one gives a crap about the sport because 2/3 of them say it just so they can fit in. Stupid, isn't it?

GSC2k2*

ScottyBowman said:
'
Are you kidding me? Pretty well educated. I'm about to be an engineer in a year and hang out with engineers every day and none of them have said they watched wrestling or even talked about wrestling. Basketball? Yes Football? Yes Hockey? Yes WWF? NO WAY. Carl is right. Wrestling is pure redneck trailer trash. Yeah their are some people that are college educated but to say that wrestling fans are pretty well educated is LAUGHABLE.

Back to the topic. It is not a good idea to associate wrestling with hockey. People already think hockey is a joke but we can turn it around. Spiketv and the wwf is not the answer.

Well, no I am not kidding you. By the way, it frankly does not surprise me in the least that you are in school still. It has been clear to me from reading your posts that you are still very much in the "I know EVERYTHING" stage that a lot of people go through in your situation. I would suggest you get a little life experience, since based on your posting thus far (a) you know absolutely nothnig about pro wrestling, and (b) your level of knowledge of pro wrerstling is on a par with your knowledge of the business of hockey.

Go bother someone else, college boy. :shakehead

ogimaa

May 11, 2005
Winnipeg,MB,Canada
Speaking as a newcomer, I gotta say ESPN's hockey coverage has always been mediocre at best. Crappy annoucers, crappy camera angles, overall crappy TV event,IMO. While a lot of posters are right to say the NHL needs ESPN, in the bigger picture they really don't. I'm not sure who said it, but if the NHL is smart they will go for a regional deal to help promote budding rivalries within the new southern teams, if you will (I know not really new), they have never had a better oppurtunity to build up a loyal fan base in some of these cities. Maybe this is what Comcast is going to do, who knows. But let's just hope they do it right.

GSC2k2*

CarlRacki said:
You're labeling someone snobbish? Now THAT'S funny.

To answer your question, it would indeed seem your tastes do run to the lowest common denominator. I mean, let's face it: steroid-laden men running around in tights pretending to be outrageous characters while pummeling one another with metal chairs isn't exactly high art.
Of course, neither is hockey or any other professional sport. But at least sport has some redeeming value in that it's the world's greatest athletes going head-to-head in real competition. It's not make believe. It's not scripted. It's not acted. And it doesn't use gratuitous sex and phony violence as its primary means of entertaining its audience.

FWIW, the WWE's research (which I'll assume is more real than their matches) indicates 30 percent of it's fan base is college educated. That compares to 49 percent for the NHL, 47 percent for the NFL and 46 percent for MLB. Let's just say that in a game of College Bowl I'm not betting on the WWE team.

Pleased that I was able to give you a little chuckle. You cannot IMAGINE how pleased I was to be able to provide my meagre contribution to satisfying your entertainment quota for the day.

What you don't know about my tastes, or what they run to, I could JUST about fit into the ocean. You honestly have no idea.

Want to know a little secret? Don't tell everyone, though. Here it is: pro wrestling fans are aware that it is staged. It is a form of performance art. A form of action movie, if you will, or perhaps a passion play. No one compares it to professional sports, except to the extent that it requires a large amount of athletic ability to do it well, such as is displayed by other forms of entertainment like Cirque de Soleil. I have not heard a pro wrestling fan ever suggest that it has any value other than as an entertainment, and certainly no value to society.

Here is a second little secret: there are many who would argue that professional sports are themselves of zero redeeming societal value. The playing of sports may have value by virtue of the character it might arguably develop in its participants by virtue of their participation, but the watching of pro sports or the attendance of pro sporting events has no redeeming value itself. One does not develop character watching the Pistons versus the Spurs, or the RedWings battle the Avalanche. It is an entertainment as well. As I said, some people think hockey is thuggish.

As for your demographic data for other pro sports, do you have a source? I have been unable to locate any. I would seriously doubt those stats for any of the sports you mention, but I remain to be persuaded otherwise and would be interested in the research.

As for a game of college bowl, I was a straight A student my entire time at school. I am far from the only wrestling fan who can make such a claim. I know of a professor of applied mathematics in my area who is one as well. I am not saying that to be snobbish; I am saying to it demonstrate the dangers that you apparently ignore in your comments regarding an entertainment about which you have no apparent knowledge.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
gscarpenter2002 said:
What you don't know about my tastes, or what they run to, I could JUST about fit into the ocean. You honestly have no idea.

As for a game of college bowl, I was a straight A student my entire time at school. I am far from the only wrestling fan who can make such a claim. I know of a professor of applied mathematics in my area who is one as well. I am not saying that to be snobbish; I am saying to it demonstrate the dangers that you apparently ignore in your comments regarding an entertainment about which you have no apparent knowledge.

The fact that you think professional wrestling is comparable to Cirque du Soleil is pretty much all I need to know about your tastes. I also know that you seem to have a fairly high opinion of yourself ... but hey, who doesn't? As for my knowledge of pro wrestling, I know more than I care to admit in public. I certainly wouldn't go around bragging about my knowledge about an industry that has cartoonish violence, sexual innuendo and misogyny as its calling cards.

Here's where I found the sports demographic info. I realize it's a bit outdated, but I sincerely doubt the numbers changed significantly. If anything, with professional sports becoming more and more corporate, the numbers are probably on the rise.

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/VA-news/VA-Pilot/issues/1997/vp970105/01050088.htm

Fans who attended NHL games were more likely to be college educated (49 percent) than NFL (47 percent), baseball (46 percent) or NBA (43 percent) fans.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
ScottyBowman said:
'
Are you kidding me? Pretty well educated. I'm about to be an engineer in a year and hang out with engineers every day and none of them have said they watched wrestling or even talked about wrestling. Basketball? Yes Football? Yes Hockey? Yes WWF? NO WAY. Carl is right. Wrestling is pure redneck trailer trash. Yeah their are some people that are college educated but to say that wrestling fans are pretty well educated is LAUGHABLE.

I'm a Ph.D. student in mathematics. I've been watching wrestling for years, and plenty of my friends during undergrad liked pro wrestling as well. Your stereotypical garbage is no better than the opinion lots of people have about hockey.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
CarlRacki said:
I certainly wouldn't go around bragging about my knowledge about an industry that has cartoonish violence, sexual innuendo and misogyny as its calling cards.

You just described ESPN's show Tilt fairly well. Not to mention they take care of another one of the seven deadly sins (gluttony) with the hot dog eating contest.

mmmBeer

Aug 29, 2002
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
Fans who attended NHL games were more likely to be college educated (49 percent) than NFL (47 percent), baseball (46 percent) or NBA (43 percent) fans.

It's based on attendance. Fans in lower economic classes, who are less likely to have been college educated, are also less likely to be able to afford NHL tickets. So those stats don't accurately indicate what percentage of NHL fans are college educated.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
CarlRacki said:
It gives the league credibility and legitimacy. Spike gives the NHL a presence alongside Slamball and professional wrestling. Spike's "sports" are a joke. Call me crazy, but I'd rather pro hockey be seen alongside the NFL and MLB than the WWE and MXC.

MXC is not a joke sport! It's highly competetive and you can see by the scores just how seriously some of these athletes treat their skills. And it's not like other sports where they play just for money, these athletes are out there for pride.

And you aren't going to find color announcers like Kenny Blankenship in other leagues. If Spike is lucky maybe he'll double his load and work some NHL games.

"That Michelle Handzus, I'd love to grab those long flowing curly locks. Mrow!"
"That's Michal Handzus Kenny and he's a young man from the burgeoning hockey country of Slovakia"
"That's a woman I tell you, that's what they look like in Slovakia. I once dated a girl from there. Legs like a tree trunk and smooth like a shag rug."
"Right you are Kenny."

Ratings. Through. The. Roof.

So make sure MXC gets credit as the premiere sport it is.
:propeller

BINGO

Jul 20, 2003
right coast
Epsilon said:
This coming from someone who has a picture of a hockey fight in his avatar?
Yes it is. And I am willing to bet that there was no "fight" rehearsal before the game. Although the PA announcer interviewed both from the box. Have you ever seen a figure four with skates on? Good times, good times.

hillbillypriest

Mar 20, 2002
there there
Visit site
pit said:
MXC is not a joke sport! It's highly competetive and you can see by the scores just how seriously some of these athletes treat their skills. And it's not like other sports where they play just for money, these athletes are out there for pride.

And you aren't going to find color announcers like Kenny Blankenship in other leagues. If Spike is lucky maybe he'll double his load and work some NHL games.

"That's Michal Handzus Kenny and he's a young man from the burgeoning hockey country of Slovakia"
"That's a woman I tell you, that's what they look like in Slovakia. I once dated a girl from there. Legs like a tree trunk and smooth like a shag rug."
"Right you are Kenny."

propeller.gif
Very funny....

I expect they would do a pretty good "most painful eliminations" segment at the start of the playoffs...

skippyx

Jun 24, 2005
There seem to be quite a few rocket scientists, nobel prize winners and guys who cure cancer on this thread. Have none of you discovered Google?

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa4112/is_200502/ai_n9478005

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/gen/mar04/213932.asp

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/NHL-Business/NHL-TV-Ratings.htm

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/search/article_display.jsp?schema=&vnu_content_id=1000893657

http://www.insidehoops.com/nba-tv-contracts.shtml

If TNT pays 366.7 million a year for a 1.1 rating are you saying Hockey's 70 million with a 0.4 to 0.5 rating is a bad deal in comparison?

Of course the NHL is behind the 8 ball because they put themselves there and of course people in Mississippi and Alabama are not going to watch hockey in droves. Ratings are shrinking for everything now though. The ratings Icon in the sports world MNF is headed to cable.

Bettman has been killing this sport for 10 years with clutch and grab-fat pads-Jersey Devilism. If the game returns to 1992 quality then the ratings will most likely follow. In '91-'92 the lowest scoring team averaged 3.08 goals a game. In '03-'04 the highest scoring team averaged 3.11 goals a game. There are your ratings going down the toilet.

The players have not gotten worse, they just need a chance to play.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Bettman has been killing this sport for 10 years with clutch and grab-fat pads-Jersey Devilism. If the game returns to 1992 quality then the ratings will most likely follow. In '91-'92 the lowest scoring team averaged 3.08 goals a game. In '03-'04 the highest scoring team averaged 3.11 goals a game. There are your ratings going down the toilet.

Dinosaurs in the media and at the player/GM level whining about the penalties kills every effort to stop clutch and grab. The NHLPA killed the effort to reduce goalie pad size. There is no consensus on how to eliminate Devils style trapping and the culprit has consistently been shown to almost certainly be too *much* talent in the league.

How again was Bettman killing the sport the last ten years? Or are you just another "magic wand theory" shill....

People love repeating what they hear some talking head say on TV. So few actually understand anything about what they are talking about.

GagneScores12

Jul 14, 2005
Ontario
pit said:

"Right you are Kenny."

:propeller

:biglaugh: That my friend is priceless.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
skippyx said:
In '91-'92 the lowest scoring team averaged 3.08 goals a game. In '03-'04 the highest scoring team averaged 3.11 goals a game. There are your ratings going down the toilet.

You might agree with this...if you're one of those sheep that believe the majority of fans crave goal-scoring rather than intensely played hockey games filled with offensive pressure that don't necessarily end 7-6.

I don't know about the rest of you, but Gretzky and Mario didn't bring me to hockey; checking, hitting and fighting did.

skippyx

Jun 24, 2005
There is nothing wrong with a double OT 2-1 game but to have consistant 3-1 games on TV is just bad for the sport. This did not happen by magic. Mario retired partially from having to carry goons on his bad back. Bettman fiddled while Rome burned and if you love him so much then point out his strengths. My opinion is my own. I have been watching hockey since '75 and reading Terry Frei every once in a while does not change my opinion on anything.

Do you think Garth Snow would have lasted 20 games in 1987? He puts on body armor and sofa cushions. That happened under Bettman's watch. Who do you suggest I blame?

The majority of fans don't watch hockey. Sheep are the ones who follow Bettman and his clutch-o-rama and think everything is fine.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Ed Snider is a smart man. Comcast would be a great place for the NHL in the US. Maybe on OLN or just make another channel or something... Spike TV and HBO with uncensored mikes would be goofy but the Comcast idea is a good one...

GSC2k2*

NJD Jester said:
You might agree with this...if you're one of those sheep that believe the majority of fans crave goal-scoring rather than intensely played hockey games filled with offensive pressure that don't necessarily end 7-6.

I don't know about the rest of you, but Gretzky and Mario didn't bring me to hockey; checking, hitting and fighting did.
No offence (pardon the pun), but if I hear this old tired argument about "it's about offensive pressure, not goals" once more, I will ... well, i don't know what I will do.

It is not about offensive pressure. It is about goals. When one team scores goals, the other team has to increase its offensive pressure in order to score goals of its own. Goals beget more goals.

That is how it works.

"Offensive pressure" does not do it.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
gscarpenter2002 said:
No offence (pardon the pun), but if I hear this old tired argument about "it's about offensive pressure, not goals" once more, I will ... well, i don't know what I will do.

It is not about offensive pressure. It is about goals. When one team scores goals, the other team has to increase its offensive pressure in order to score goals of its own. Goals beget more goals.

That is how it works.

"Offensive pressure" does not do it.

Sure it does. Why is playoff hockey better than regular season hockey? Because every game is 8-7? Or because both teams are up and down the ice, taking shots on goal and trying to dominate the offensive zone?

So "it's about offensive pressure, not goals." Now go do whatever it is you promised you'd do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad