Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 2 - Get a good night's sleep guys - Tampa Bay 4 BRUINS 3 F/OT

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Yes that had to be the thought process and it worked in game 1, but by the time overtime started in game 2 it was obvious that it was not working anymore; the 4th line was spending way too much time in its own zone when the Kuch line was on the ice. I would have liked to see different matchups in overtime to counter that but it didn't happen and it only took one shift before the Bruins paid the price.
What’s the solution? Use Bergeron more in a shutdown role ?

Zillah

Bleed Black and Gold
Apr 4, 2011
West Kelowna B.C.
I said this in another post but I will repeat it here- I think Krug is intimidated. He remembers how the Bolts beat the hell out of him 2 years ago and wants no part of it now. He doesn't seem to understand that the way to put a stop to it is for him to hit someone hard himself- remember the way he flattened that Blue after David Perron literally sat on him in the SCF?- he's capable of hitting effectively he just won't do it.

And if he thinks he's going to get 8 million from the Bruins if he keeps this up he's got another thing coming
Indeed ... 8 million ! That works out to more than Hedman a year . I’d trade 3 Krugs for 1 Hedman . He was the best player on the ice ... again .

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Exactly

If Krug would've taken the man on this play there's a good chance the bolts don't score

...and Carlo was no better

If Krug wants to remain a Bruin he better start playing like one

There was plenty of blame on that goal. Krug started it, Carlo made it worse, and Bjork didn't pick up the eventual goal scorer. All in all a very messed up 3 on 3. 3 on 4 if you want to include Ritchie.

upload_2020-8-26_11-51-54.png

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The compete level was certainly there last night. Tying that game was the most pressure and offensive power they’ve fought off since RTP. Not sure if it’s enough to beat this team with this goaltender but it’s a positive.

Our tenured defensemen need to be a lot better defensively because Halak isn’t going to steal us any games. He’s not so much at fault but he is who he is and he’s all we have.

If Krejci line and Coyle can come back to life here we should be in decent shape. Going to need at least 3-4 goals and a semi responsible defense to win.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
To be fair to the modern day guys (because I remember the old days too) the players take a lot more punishment and expend a lot more energy in the current day NHL Hell, half the players in the 70s smoked cigarettes and probably way more than half drank like fish the night before games :laugh:
Then again goalie equipment used to weigh a ton, player's equipment was highly inferior than today, teams largely flew commercial...etc

There's a video on YouTube when Cheevers was with the Crusaders , he was smoking a cigarette in between periods in the dressing room. LOL

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Cliffy Hockey at forward. Do it Butch. Dooooo it

sounds like my prediction may come to light

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Debrusk Krejci Kase
Kulary Coyle Wagner
Nordy Lindholm Clifton

Chara McAvoy
Krug Carlo
Grz Lauzon
Clifton

Halak

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
hopefully its Bjork or Ritchie sitting

i like Bjork but hes not just there yet and his play cascades into other problems, same with Ritchie

We will see, but I think both will sit

instead Lindholm (safer choice) or Studnicka will be put in the lineup. Along with 7Ds

Tampa did this yesterday and it worked nicely for their crew. They seem like they had extra energy, especially backsupport/pinching in repeatedly

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Still mad about 73’s mins tonight

he must lead the team in TOI every game we can not have

him 3rd in TOI for D as he was tonight behind

Krug and Carlo

I could see being behind Krug possibly due to PP time

but there wasn’t a lot of special teams tonight

Charlie is our Hedman

and Hedman played 7 more minutes than any player on Tampa that needs to be McAvoy the kid is a horse we need to ride him
The difference between being a fan and a coach is the coach is privy to info we fans are not. McAvoy may have been dealing with a minor issue we are not nor will we be made aware of.

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
What’s the solution? Use Bergeron more in a shutdown role ?
Good question, and I don't claim to know the answer but I think as you said 1st line vs 1st line could be an option. This issue here I think would be Pasta because he can make some lazy plays and have some long shifts and that could be a disaster against a top line, but at the same time when things are not going your way why not give your best players a chance to outplay the other team's best players? I would rather lose with Bergy on the ice rather than Kuraly, that's for sure.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I have to think Chara is the reason they'd do that. They need to keep his usage as situational as possible. Give him all the PK time he can handle, and just situational D-zone use with McAvoy. Otherwise, go with Grzelcyk up with McAvoy:

Grzelcyk/Chara-McAvoy (Chara mixed in sparingly, more so in D-zone draws)
Krug-Carlo
Grzelcyk/Lauzon/Chara-Clifton (Grzelcyk if Chara is being used with McAvoy, Chara splits with Lauzon otherwise)

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Kase
Ritchie-Coyle-Pastrnak/Wagner/Kase
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He’s right there with him. hedman now isn’t hedman of 3-4 years ago.

I said what I said but to be more clear...The grass is greener everywhere else in some peoples eyes. TB has a decent, balanced D. They are not infallible. And Hedman isn’t The end all/be all of defenseman.

Right, Hedman is only a Norris finalist for the 4th straight season. But he's not the same player he was 3-4 years ago.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I have to think Chara is the reason they'd do that. They need to keep his usage as situational as possible. Give him all the PK time he can handle, and just situational D-zone use with McAvoy. Otherwise, go with Grzelcyk up with McAvoy:

Grzelcyk/Chara-McAvoy (Chara mixed in sparingly, more so in D-zone draws)
Krug-Carlo
Grzelcyk/Lauzon/Chara-Clifton (Grzelcyk if Chara is being used with McAvoy, Chara splits with Lauzon otherwise)

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Kase
Ritchie-Coyle-Pastrnak/Wagner/Kase
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner

Isn't that what they have been doing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad