Series Talk: ECSF-Florida Panthers vs Boston Bruins (FLA leads 3-2)

Who wins and in how many games

• Cats in 4

Votes: 28 4.6%
  • Cats in 5

Votes: 180 29.9%
  • Cats in 6

Votes: 221 36.7%
  • Cats in 7

Votes: 46 7.6%
  • Bruins in 4

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Bruins in 5

Votes: 11 1.8%
  • Bruins in 6

Votes: 59 9.8%
  • Bruins in 7

Votes: 52 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
We still think that wasn't a punch?

View attachment 869977

It's clearly a punch. let's move on.

Everyone agrees now and folks have apologized for being dinks about it.

Florida is a good team and deserves to be favorites heading into the series. Would it be 2-2 now if Barkov instead of Marchand was out with a concussion... pretty good chance. Them's the breaks.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I don't think anyone is going to argue that the Panthers don't deserve to be winning. But it doesn't excuse the trash officiating, and it doesn't excuse the non-suspension of Bennett.

The Bennett non-suspension in particular is by far the worst I have ever seen in the 25 years of watching hockey. It's a clear as f***ing day sucker punch straight to the face that concussed and knocked a star player out of the series.

I was cheering for Florida going into the series. It improves our 1st round pick in the draft, and I like Tarasenko and Tkachuk. I also generally like how they play. But Bennett clearly crossed a line in a huge way that can't be excused. But I'm even more upset with the league for doing f*** all about it. I'm still mind blown that he didn't get suspended. I'm even more sketched out that the league withheld the alternate angle of the play.

I know everyone likes to say thing are rigged when they are frustrated and things don't go their way. But this is the first time I legitimately feel like there's something sketchy going on here.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Who can forget those powerhouse Florida Panthers teams from 2003-2010 when Campbell played for us? Thank god his Dad was around to give us multiple playoffs appearances and wins.
Tbf the bruins plucked some valuable players from that era of Panthers squad that were huge in the cup run, I guess it’s only fair you get to kick the shit out of us for two years in a row now.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I'm of two minds on Monty.

He got the team to 109 points in the regular season with Charlie Coyle, Pavel Zacha and Morgan Geekie as his top 3 centers. The team really only has two good play drivers, Charlie McAvoy and Brad Marchand. Pastrnak is an elite offensive talent who turned Zacha into a 60 point player and made the rotating guys on the other wing like Danton Heinen into useful offensive players... but he isn't an elite play driver. Marchand is 35 and a good but not great play driving winger. The Panthers have several guys of his play driving quality at wing alone. McAvoy is clearly trying to do too much and his play has suffered tremendously. They are asking him to be Lidstrom or Bourque with this roster construction and he ain't that. It's a flawed roster in the first year of a re-tool that was in the gunning for the President's Trophy almost all year. Credit to Monty.

But, he has been seriously out matched three playoff series in a row. When they did have the horses last year, he completely failed to adjust his game plan to account for Florida's ultra aggressive play (I don't mean the physical part, I mean aggressive forecheck and aggressive activation from the D). Against Toronto this year he completely failed to adjust to Toronto moving to the 1-3-1 in game 5, 6 and 7. And in this series against being completely rag dolled. If it was just this year, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. It's hard to game plan around either an aggressive team or against a 1-3-1 when you don't have many guys who can skate with the puck. But, when you add in last year...

His post-game presser where he was giving off "aw shucks" vibes to the GI non-call and to the new Bennett camera angle sealed it for me. The team has taken on his personality and it just isn't going to work in the post-season. Folks joke about Maroon being awful, and he is, but he at least is trying to drag the guys into the fight. Shouldn't need a replacement level plug to do that.

As far as the PP stuff, you are right that having the horses and getting through the adversity is what great teams do. That isn't this Bruins team. They needed everything to go a certain way to win this series. Some of it is going their way. Swayman is doing his job. They are getting dominated on shots and possession, but the high danger chances are close and actually in the Bruins favor. It's 8 to 7 in goals at 5 on 5. Obviously, they wish they were getting out of their zone better, but they were never going to be *good* at it with this group. But, they aren't *that* far off from what they wanted to do given their limitations.

But the special teams stuff is killing them. And some of that is luck they created themselves, granted. But, it also sure feels like Florida has gotten away with some of the dumb penalties the Bruins have gotten called on. And the two Bennett incidents are total amplification points that are easy to point to rather than nickel and diming every potential call and non-call in the series. So all the frustration is getting poured into those two things.

But, the refs are not the top reason why this series is 3-1. It is certainly on the list, and I think most Panthers fans have been reasonable in thinking Boston has gotten some raw deals here, but if the Bruins were a really good team, they could have been able to overcome it. It's just not what they are right now. Which was expected in what is a re-tool year.

If you told me coming into the season they would win a round, Swayman would steal the starting job and that Lorhei and Poitras (before getting hurt) would solidify their roles on the roster while showing top half of the roster upside I would have taken it and ran. Fast. But, of course, once the games happen you want to win them, lol.
Really great post. Thanks.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Up 2-1 in PP opportunities through 4 games and crying that it should be more is something I don't think I've seen in here before.
Take away the too many men penalties (2 or 3?), the double minor for high sticking, ultra Maroon taking a penalty by starting shit while play was stopped.
That’s five or six minor penalties, just off the top of my head, away from the differential. Now figure in that FL has the puck much more often, it’s starts to seem less like some grand conspiracy.
I don’t think any FL fan is really calling for more PPs, but there are some here poking the bear, so to speak. You are easily drawn in by it, because your emotions are high.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Take away the too many men penalties (2 or 3?), the double minor for high sticking, ultra Maroon taking a penalty by starting shit while play was stopped.
That’s five or six minor penalties, just off the top of my head, away from the differential. Now figure in that FL has the puck much more often, it’s starts to seem less like some grand conspiracy.
I don’t think any FL fan is really calling for more PPs, but there are some here poking the bear, so to speak. You are easily drawn in by it, because your emotions are high.
Wait, if you take away some penalties then there are less penalties? That's pretty amazing.

No one's saying there's a conspiracy, other than tongue in cheek FLA folks.

It's just how it goes sometimes you get the breaks sometimes you don't. Boston ain't getting em right now.

It just keeps going, deeper and deeper

"We didn't see it but even if we did we didn't see anything wrong there" is pretty god damn funny even for this league.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

It just keeps going, deeper and deeper

Whether it would have changed their choice or not, that would be the statement for ass covering, which is the NHLs way. The other leagues will say "oh we got that wrong" all the time. Never the NHL.

The fact that they didn't look at all the angles speaks to incompetence, though.

But, I think every fan base can be aligned that DOPS is incompetent and bush league, so that isn't a new story.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Whether it would have changed their choice or not, that would be the statement for ass covering, which is the NHLs way. The other leagues will say "oh we got that wrong" all the time. Never the NHL.

The fact that they didn't look at all the angles speaks to incompetence, though.

But, I think every fan base can be aligned that DOPS is incompetent and bush league, so that isn't a new story.

Would they, though?

Not fighting you on that statement, but is there actual evidence that the other leagues would reverse a call/suspension days later?

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

All it'd take is a $5,000 fine but they feel like they need to cover their ass so it just gets worse for them.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Well I guess Bruins should rabbit punch every Panther and LTIR them.
Probably not the best way to go out in elimination

Would they, though?

Not fighting you on that statement, but is there actual evidence that the other leagues would reverse a call/suspension days later?
I’m don’t think so, to many peoples chagrin the one thing a sports league has to do is keep authority. If calls started to be reversed days later the lobbying you’d get from social media alone would be too much for the league to handle

Reactions: Chaos2k7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad