Series Talk: ECSF-Florida Panthers vs Boston Bruins (FLA leads 3-2)

Who wins and in how many games

• Cats in 4

Votes: 28 4.6%
  • Cats in 5

Votes: 180 29.9%
  • Cats in 6

Votes: 221 36.7%
  • Cats in 7

Votes: 46 7.6%
  • Bruins in 4

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Bruins in 5

Votes: 11 1.8%
  • Bruins in 6

Votes: 59 9.8%
  • Bruins in 7

Votes: 52 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I don't see them as fake tough guys. They are definitely willing to mix it up when it benefits them. The genius of Tkachuk and co is that they can be tough guys then pull back and play very good hockey once they are in the heads of the other team, laughing while the opponent does stupid things.

In addition to being more talented, FLA is mentally stronger and smarter. Not a knock on Boston, but more a compliment to the Panthers. Great in many facets of the sport.
Exactly, we took that from lessons learned against the Lightning.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Bruins have some adjustments they can make for Game 4, which is obviously a must win.

One adjustment is pretty simple and obvious.

The Bruins are getting completely hemmed in when Carlo or Forbort or Wotherspoon are on the ice. You can look at shots, scoring chances, Corsi, expected goals... whatever you want... those three guys are getting murdered in their own end the last 2 games (1 for Wotherspoon). Wotherspoon has already been pulled for Peeke. Time to pull Forbort.

Stats over the last two games only

xGA/60Scoring chances allowed/60Corsi allowed/60Actual 5 on 5 goal differential
Forbort4.1246.5281.97-3
Wotherspoon (1 game)3.8142.3573.16-1
Carlo3.431.4975.1-2
McAvoy1.7721.254.760
Lindholm1.7319.7757.33-1
Lorhei1.3414.6649.49+1
Peeke (1 game)1.2118.7159.880

Carlo is getting lumped in with the bad group here, deservedly so, but if you can get him away from Forbort...

xGA/60Scoring chances allowed/60Corsi allowed/60Actual 5 on 5 goal differential
Carlo w/o Forbort2.3820.5961.76-1
Carlo w/ Forbort8.1782.44137.4-1

The splits are all follow the same trends if you look at the forwards with and without Forbort.

Forbort is completely unplayable against this heavy forecheck.

Adjustment one is to not play him. I, personally, would bring Gryz back into the lineup over bringing back in Wotherspoon... but anything is better than Forbort right now.
Other than McAvoy and Lohrei I don't really trust anyone else to skate out the puck with a controlled exit.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
I remember Bruins fans saying "see, we have a chance!" If that's boasting... ok.
There might be a wing nut or two I missed seeing, but all I've seen from Boston fans is tempered expectations and the phrase "playing with house money." That's certainly not boastful.

Boston fans and Pittsburgh fans are similar in my mind in that when their teams have a legit chance they'll definitely let you know about it, but they are very realistic and humble when their teams don't have much of a chance. Nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: Felidae and BTO

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
If that's what you need to believe to feel good then go with it.

Point is - being short handed so often is killing em
Not showing up for 60mins is killing them

Sure, taking bad penalties has hurt but when you get 15/16 shots a game in the playoffs you’re not gonna win too often unless Swayman gets a shutout.

Seems they can’t make passes through the neutral zone and get any sustained pressure.

Panthers are basically having a field day with them. Not very fun to watch as a Bruins fan.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
There might be a wing nut or two I missed seeing, but all I've seen from Boston fans is tempered expectations and the phrase "playing with house money." That's certainly not boastful.

Boston fans and Pittsburgh fans are similar in my mind in that when their teams have a legit chance they'll definitely let you know about it, but they are very realistic and humble when their teams don't have much of a chance. Nothing wrong with that.
Must have missed the comments about our terrible fanbase, and all the supposed empty seats, what an embaressment we are only leading the league in attendance all year and now in the postseason.

We lost game 1, and credited the Bruins game.

Feel free to read the first 15 pages of the thread again. Then calling us sore winners, lol when the series shifted.

Call fans out and you will get called out. Not you personally obviously, lol

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
The idea that Barkov should fight doesn’t make sense. He is one of Florida’s best players, and getting him off the ice for 5 mins helps Boston.
Maybe but not in this case - it's not like it was 4th liners offering. Coyle is Boston's first line center, Marchand is their captain. It's as even a trade off as you could find. Neither guy would cause any damage either.

He didn't oblige because he didn't want to, and he knows his team is more successful as agitators than a bunch who stands up for itself like that.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Other than McAvoy and Lohrei I don't really trust anyone else to skate out the puck with a controlled exit.

I think you have to play Gryz on the bottom pairing and hope he can outskate the hits. Don't see the alternative.

edit: And thanks for engaging in hockey talk instead of whatever this thread is

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Maybe but not in this case - it's not like it was 4th liners offering. Coyle is Boston's first line center, Marchand is their captain. It's as even a trade off as you could find. Neither guy would cause any damage either.

He didn't oblige because he didn't want to, and he knows his team is more successful as agitators than a bunch who stands up for itself like that.
Sacrificing Barkov for Coyle or Marchand, is not an even trade in any respect, and is exactly the type of tomfoolery Bruins fans would like to justify as some sort of put down on our Captain, he isn't deranged like Marchand/Chucky it's not his game and not playing that way is in no form a slight on his desire or manhood.

Too smart for that garbage. Pasta was goaded into a bad situation, stood up for his team, took the L for them, and that was the sad response.

The Bruins have hung their hat for 50+ years on being the aggressor that wont back down, they are not handling getting pushed back very well.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Barkov for anyone on the Bruins is a horrible trade.

Anyone who thinks Barkov should have taken the fight is just demented. There's a massive difference between the best player on the ice (Barkov) fighting some Bruins plug center in a staged fight at the beginning of a hockey game, and two star players scrapping in the waning moments of a blowout.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
To be fair, the double minor high sticking is just kind of unlucky. Bruins were getting momentum and were only down by one and then... boom... 3-0. Obviously, props to the Panthers for taking advantage.
Yes, that wasn’t a dumb penalty, shit happens when trying to lift opponent’s stick.
But, it was a penalty, not some conspiracy against the Bs.
I’ll never understand people who think the number of PPs should always be even.

Reactions: Mase

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
Yes, that wasn’t a dumb penalty, shit happens when trying to lift opponent’s stick.
But, it was a penalty, not some conspiracy against the Bs.
I’ll never understand people who think the number of PPs should always be even.

I personally thought that the penalty that made it 4-0 (lol) should have been a 2 and 2. The guy tried to run Bob, but Ekblad also held him. Fair's fair.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018

Lmaolol, Barkov for Marchand might be the closest Bs have to an “even trade off”, but in reality it is no where near an even trade off. That’s a win for Bs.
Panthers always stand up for themselves and each other. The fact that you can’t see the difference in the two situations is funny. Pasta was running around as the game slipped out of reach, jumping into scrums, throwing punches at rhino. Tkachuk said “I see you’re feeling groggy (froggy, damn autocorrect) today Pasta, wanna go?” Pasta accepted.
As opposed to the opening face off in game 3 of a tied series.

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Tbh, Pasta for Tkachuk wasn't a fair trade, either. Pastrnak with a cool 7 points in 10 playoff games, to Tkachuk's 13 in 8. Matty hurting the team here, folks.
Right? Folks in FLA celebrate Tkachuk fighting Pastrnak and then get their undies in a bundle when Marchand asks Barkov to go.
We need 4 wins to declare a winner. All I said is we can play the games however the opponent wants, skill game, or a physical game.

Bipolar?
"pick your poison, no obituary's been written" :laugh:

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I get why he said no, so did everyone which is why no one pressed the issue. They gave him a chance to stand up and he declined. No muss no fuss
Barkovs game is a skill one and being the best defensive forward in the league. Why would he handicap the team and get your building into the game as it just starts? He stood up on the score board and by shutting your guys down. He stood up just fine, lol. The Bruins tried to get him on late hits, scrums around the net etc. Nothing fazed him.

Pasta could have easily remembered all these things too. He felt he needed to make a statement, the Bruins simply didn't respond to make it worth something.

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
Right? Folks in FLA celebrate Tkachuk fighting Pastrnak and then get their undies in a bundle when Marchand asks Barkov to go.

I, uh, don't think Panthers fans are the ones upset that Barkov refused to take a pointless fight at puck drop, lmao. Panthers fans not the group that has spent the last 3 days talking about DA CODE and acting like Pat Maroon has any relevance beyond comic relief.

Panthers fans not the group incapable of distinguishing between a fight in a 6-1 game and a staged fight with 60 minutes to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad