Series Discussion: ECSF: Capitals vs Penguins (Pens win) (mod warning post 806)

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
There is a huge difference between elite talent and high end talent. One of Kessle, Malkin, and Crosby can take over any game. The only player the Caps have right now that can take over a game when they want to is Kuznetsov that's it. Superstars create the game around them. Ovi could do that at his peak. Backstrom has the ability to do it but doesn't for whatever reason. Oshie is probably the best depth player in the NHL but not a superstar or even a top 20 player.

Holtby let this team down this postseason, number 1 blame

I get it, But those players didn't take over the series. I'm just saying nothing anyone has pointed to positionally as wrong with the caps has felt true as a strength of the pens (in this series), except in goal. beside malaise, I don't know where else to pin this series loss.

marcel snapshot

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Malkin and Kessel did nothing last night. Sid had a secondary as part of the nice passing sequence leading to the Rust goal (all made possible by Ovie's half-assed failure to get his stick on the Nisky puck up the boards and chip it out which would have produced an odd-man rush). But the Penguins had a strategic plan for this game, and the whole team committed to it. Us? None of our leaders stepped up and we failed to play as an effective five-man unit. Instead, we descended into the disorganized, discombobulated racing around, over-passing and not shooting style of play often displayed by this team when it faces adversity.

The leadership on this team sucks. And it's a monumental organizational failure to just look past it and go out and market the same old same old.

Do you know how many other teams currently in the 16-team Eastern Conference have failed to make the 3rd round since Ovechkin came into the league. The answer is 4. So we're in the 25th percentile. That's failure

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I get it, But those players didn't take over the series. I'm just saying nothing anyone has pointed to positionally as wrong with the caps has felt true as a strength of the pens (in this series), except in goal. beside malaise, I don't know where else to pin this series loss.

Stats:

Malkin-18 pts
Crosby-14 pts
Kessel-13 pts

3 of the top 7

Guentzel makes 4 of the top 7

All in a span of 11 and 12 games

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
Stats:

Malkin-18 pts
Crosby-14 pts
Kessel-13 pts

3 of the top 7

Guentzel makes 4 of the top 7

All in a span of 11 and 12 games

I don't think any of those 4 players took over the series, and had had less of an impact than fluery vs Holtby IMO

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I don't think any of those 4 players took over the series, and had had less of an impact than fluery vs Holtby IMO

Game 1: Crosby 2 points, Guentzel 1 point
Game 2: Crosby 2 points, Malkin 2 points, Kessel 3 points, Guentzel 3 points
Game 3: Malkin 2 points, Kessel 1 point
Game 4: Malkin 1 point, Guentzel 2 points
Game 5: Crosby 1 point, Malkin 1 point, Kessel 1 point
Game 6: Crosby 1 point, Malkin 1 point, Guentzel 1 point
Game 7: Crosby 1 point, Guentzel 1 point

You sure? Active in every single game!

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
ovechkin will miss worlds with a lower body injury after playing the pens series on heavy pain killers per russian hockey release

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
Game 1: Crosby 2 points, Guentzel 1 point
Game 2: Crosby 2 points, Malkin 2 points, Kessel 3 points, Guentzel 3 points
Game 3: Malkin 2 points, Kessel 1 point
Game 4: Malkin 1 point, Guentzel 2 points
Game 5: Crosby 1 point, Malkin 1 point, Kessel 1 point
Game 6: Crosby 1 point, Malkin 1 point, Guentzel 1 point
Game 7: Crosby 1 point, Guentzel 1 point

You sure? Active in every single game!

those players all played good enough, but weren't dominant IMO. I don't think this is a roster construction issue is what i'm saying. we should have been good enough to take this series and none of those players were game breakers, except those two quick goals by crosby, IMO.

i am dumbfounded about what our real problem was, but i think our issues were being way to slow to adjust to their defense scheme, (4 games??) and somehow about 25% of their meager but potent offensive chances going in the first couple of games (how can your gameplan to be for rust and bonino to snipe their few breakaways and clean shots?).
if malkin, kessel, or crosby would have had a beast of a series, i may actually feel better about our play. i just don't think they did.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
those players all played good enough, but weren't dominant IMO. I don't think this is a roster construction issue is what i'm saying. we should have been good enough to take this series and none of those players were game breakers, except those two quick goals by crosby, IMO.

i am dumbfounded about what our real problem was, but i think our issues were being way to slow to adjust to their defense scheme, (4 games??) and somehow about 25% of their meager but potent offensive chances going in the first couple of games (how can your gameplan to be for rust and bonino to snipe their few breakaways and clean shots?).
if malkin, kessel, or crosby would have had a beast of a series, i may actually feel better about our play. i just don't think they did.

Don't get me wrong the Caps beat themselves, but they need more high end talents to play with this team

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
"Ovechkin was taking pain numbing injections" according to Russian Federation.

Let the excuses flow. Had they said "mind and effort numbing" I might have bought it. ;)

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
Don't get me wrong the Caps beat themselves, but they need more high end talents to play with this team

agreed on the first part, and i want to stress that i'm frustrated so hopefully and not coming off bristly here.
i think an example of why i think the problem lies "somewhere else" other than talent level of individual roster pieces is game 4. we should have put that game away with the 4 minute minor that straddled the 2nd and 3rd period. 2 minutes on each side, not even a BS broken up PP. i think if was just about 2 full minutes each to end the 2nd and start the 3rd. i don't think anyone can argue that our PP planning and personnel are not lethal, and would match up against any unit in the league, yet we wasted all four minutes away and lost that game.
not necessarily the turning point, but indicative of the vague problems i'm trying to get at.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I said in one of the gdts early in the series Ovie looked like he was skating through mud. He was clearly hurt.

Thanks, Kadri.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
thats not the point. Ovis aura, attitude, floating whatever you want to call it has to be part of this limp wrist effort issues the caps have. He is the captain. Captains set the example. Its the last possible thing to be looked at over the last 10 years when you have changed every other variable. Or you arrive at the hockey gods just hate the capitals. As mush as I hate Crosby you dont see him take a shift off. Not only says the right things as Ovi attempts to do, he actually does them. Ovi could score 100 goals a season and it wouldnt matter imo. His lackadaisical attitude or effort is what is on display for the team to follow. he wasnt this way pre 2011. before arguing with me look at the last couple of games at the end of the season when he was everywhere doing everything, then look at last night and most of this series and you tell me if he was committed, setting the example.
I would argue with this point. We have not had a coach with any history of playoff success. It's been a carousel of poor playoff coaches.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
I said in one of the gdts early in the series Ovie looked like he was skating through mud. He was clearly hurt.

Thanks, Kadri.

first games against toronto and pittsburgh next season should/might be interesting.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
McPhee ****ed them years ago by not recognizing Semin and Green as wimps and letting those assets walk for nothing.

I said it then and I'll say it now, he pissed away a chance at a dynasty with his cluelessness.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Seriously questioning whether I want to continue investing in the team, especially since it would involve taking the kids further into this smelly dumpster fire full of bear traps. I find myself zoning out during games, especially during the first half of the season, and staying up late to watch the games on DVR is getting old.

Definitely time to clock out for a while. Other commitments are likely going to make it hard to jump back in, and I'm OK with that right now. Games weren't fun any more, as I sat there waiting for the inevitable sucker punch. Time to spend more time on the hobbies that don't make a yearly habit of punching me in the junk.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Huh?

He was crap for months before the Kadri hit.

He had 3 goals in 4 playoff games before the Kadri hit and was playing well. Playoff Ovie. After that he was half the player and had like 2 points in 9 games.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
Been a caps fan for ages, but this is probably the year I go from having a genuine interest in seeing this team succeed to just being a general fan of the game/league. I missed a lot of games this year and at multiple points during the playoffs just turned it off after 1-2 periods (since I live 4 hours ahead of EST atm) and never felt like I was missing out, were as in the past I would never despite the score. The script is same year to year, regular season success followed by huge flop when it matters most, after a while it gets old and becomes uninteresting.

I'll watch games here and there next season, but will continue to not give a **** as long as the organization doesn't give a ****.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
McPhee ****ed them years ago by not recognizing Semin and Green as wimps and letting those assets walk for nothing.

I said it then and I'll say it now, he pissed away a chance at a dynasty with his cluelessness.

This. But I will elevate it to Ted.

When you luck into a first overall pick, you have to look at what else you've got and say, do I have winning leadership? He should have cleaned house the day after Ovie was drafted and brought in proven guys who could build around the new star.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->