Series Discussion: ECSF: Capitals vs Penguins (Pens up 3-1) (Pens Fans Read Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

maybam

Mar 30, 2010
I think OV threw this game folks. Really do. Wasn't the lack of physical effort or the many elements of skill he lacks. He was throwing soft passes to Penguins even when he had time and space. Literally looked like his goal was to prevent us from scoring.

I had to stop and think of a play to dispute you, which is sad enough. Just a terrible, awful game by him tonight. No effort at all.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
The Orlov goal wasn't his fault. Schultz's shot was a howitzer into the corner. Only the Hornquist breakaway was one you would hope he stopped. Too much is made of shooting percentage. Damn early inflated by easy shots to the gut and deflated by few but high quality shots.

Schultz shot was good but Holtby's skates were literally on the goal line. He has been playing way too deep the entire playoffs.

Mancesco Franquilini

Vancouver Canucks GM
Jan 5, 2009
Los Angeles
Guys, Canucks fan here.

I know emotions are red hot, and you just lost a big game. I just want to say that I was in your position a few years ago. Hated my team for underperforming in the playoffs after winning Pres Trophy. Thought they should blow it all up and couldn't believe how bad Luongo/ other star players were

When they do blow it up and your team goes under periods of absolute suck, you'll come to appreciate the days that your team was actually considered a legitimately contender.

Just enjoy the ride guys. You have a great team and sometimes you need to just step back and see it from a little further than how closely you guys are seeing it.

The Penguins are a good team. A really good team. They'll probably win the cup again if they win this series. And that's okay, only one team wins every year. But the Caps have a shot every single year that OV, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Carlson and Holtby are in your lineup.

Just enjoy the ride and support your team. Before you know it, you'll be clamoring for these days to come back again and missing the times when your team was considered a legitimate contender.

Signed,

Canucks Fan

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
8 - 92 - 14
90 - 19 - 43
65 - 20 - 77
I - Don't - Care

At this point, you have to break up a good line to try and get one of Ovi/Oshie/Backstrom to wake up. I think its a lost cause, but putting all 3 up top has just killed them in my opinion

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
He's to the point of Carey done.
Hmm, haven't thought of that.

Maybe premature, but it looks like he's all of a sudden lost it. Ovi may be injured and or aging (as a player) quickly. But who would have predicted Holtby clearly outplayed by MAF :shakehead

And c'mon, the NHL looks half way like pro wrestling with its reffing :rant:

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Guys, Canucks fan here.

I know emotions are red hot, and you just lost a big game. I just want to say that I was in your position a few years ago. Hated my team for underperforming in the playoffs after winning Pres Trophy. Thought they should blow it all up and couldn't believe how bad Luongo/ other star players were

When they do blow it up and your team goes under periods of absolute suck, you'll come to appreciate the days that your team was actually considered a legitimately contender.

Just enjoy the ride guys. You have a great team and sometimes you need to just step back and see it from a little further than how closely you guys are seeing it.

The Penguins are a good team. A really good team. They'll probably win the cup again if they win this series. And that's okay, only one team wins every year. But the Caps have a shot every single year that OV, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Carlson and Holtby are in your lineup.

Just enjoy the ride and support your team. Before you know it, you'll be clamoring for these days to come back again and missing the times when your team was considered a legitimate contender.

Signed,

Canucks Fan

No offense but that doesn't help at all.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
O/U on Ovi ESGs in the previous 35 games. 3.5? I am afraid to look. He looks like a raw rookie power forward with the puck. He can barely even possess the puck, and is very easily defended by any and all.

He is clearly injured IMO but still, is not the same player. His go to move is gone, his speed is gone. ****, his game looks completely gone right now. We are lucky to see one SOG on the PP.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
The Orlov goal wasn't his fault. Schultz's shot was a howitzer into the corner. Only the Hornquist breakaway was one you would hope he stopped. Too much is made of shooting percentage. Damn early inflated by easy shots to the gut and deflated by few but high quality shots.

Incorrect, Holtby wasn't even tracking the puck as it went cross ice which is why it went straight in. Again, any goalie can make easy saves, in the playoffs good goalies need to make the hard ones. The first would have been a hard one, but he just let us down.

pocketrockets

Dec 12, 2010
I feel the same way as many of you. Its one thing to get beat by the better team but this yet again feels like we are getting out efforted. Its hard to understand why a core who has dealt with so much adversity over the last decade, can't seem to up their sense of urgency in big games time after time.

I'm not going to say I am not going to watch the next game(s) because I shall. I hope they pull off a hell of a come back, I really do. But there are more important things in life then sports. In hindsight the amount of time I've put into watching this team is astounding only to watch them not show up in the biggest games. I would not keep something in my life if at every crucial moment they let me down so I don't know why I put so much emotions into this team.

Hopefully they find a way to compete the next couple of days but they are who they are as a team. Set your expectations accordingly and hope for the best.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
What else needs to be said? What stings this time is for all the poor execution and excessive dumb, if Holtby is average, or hell, even below average and not just straight terrible, then this is a 3-1 series lead, at worst, for the Caps. Holtby's save percentages throughout the four games this series starting with G1: .857, .786, .933, .833. Guess which one they won?

Only 4 games out of 10 this postseason has he had higher than a .925 save %. 5 of the games this postseason (50%!) he's had worse than a .890 save percentage. That's a total ****ing joke. He is the reason the Caps are on the verge of another collapse and he doesn't deserve to start G5.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Seems pretty likely that the "players-only meeting" was just the players scrambling through their phones to put heavy cash down on the Penguins to win the series in 5 before the bet lost all its value.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
With any other team in this situation, playing an injured opponent down 3-1, you'd think "hey, maybe they play with their backs against the wall and pull it out".

Not the Caps.

They could not be less inspired and more mentally fragile.

Orpik has sucked. Alzner forgot how to play hockey. The 3rd and 4th lines are putrid. Trotz can't adjust. Holtby flat-out choked his career away. And Ovechkin looks complacent in the biggest series of his life.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
The Orlov goal, I would like to think Holts was at least tracking that over. He was no where near in place to stop that. I would like Barry to try Grubby. Many think he is a starter in this league. Holts chat with his therapist and telling the media about, is not working.

Would be ok by me, but talk about getting thrown into the fire...

What the hell is wrong with Holtby playing so far into his net. I'm no goalie expert, but this series the gaps just jumps at you.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Yeah, I agree. I think it's a crapshoot as far as the specifics, but it seems utterly obvious to shuffle 1st and 3rd lines. They are not getting anything done at ES.

I would maybe try Bura & Wilson with Backstrom. Those two have at least looked alive, and Eller has gone invisible. Backstrom has been invisible too, but at least he can pass if somebody gets open.

But any shuffle of those lines would be fine, if only to jolt these guys.

As far as what Trotz will actually do... I mean, whatever, we'll see. It's unlikely, but even he must have limits as far as doing nothing when losing.

He could start with resigning before game 5. Maybe someone with motivational abilities and creative ideas can make use of these next 2 days.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Who's the bigger loser: this team for losing to a lower seed missing their best player at every position? Or me for thinking they could win the Cup this year?

The team is the biggest loser every day of the week and twice on Thursday and Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->