Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
sleepy-hollow-picture-id94071411

upload_2019-5-3_19-15-0.png

upload_2019-5-3_19-15-24.png

After a few cloudy nights, the Boston Bruins' stars shined in Game 4.

Reunited on the No. 1 line, David Pastrnak, Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand combined for five points Thursday night as the Bruins won 4-1 in Columbus to even the best-of-seven Eastern Conference playoff series at two games apiece. Game 5 is Saturday in Boston.

Bergeron scored twice, Pastrnak added a goal and an assist and Marchand had an assist in the victory.

"I don't think any team wins without their best players being their best players," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "We can survive for a while. So far in this series we had."

The trio combined for 260 points in the regular season, but had been held to one point -- a Pastrnak goal in Game 2 -- in the first three games of the series, and Pastrnak had been dropped to the second and then third line in an effort to provide more balance throughout the lineup.

"If you break down the chances we've had game to game, we are getting five, six opportunities every game," Marchand said. "It's only a matter of time before these guys score goals. You give them that many opportunities every game, they are going to score. They are that good. There is no panic."

Both of Bergeron's goals came with a man advantage.

"Their top guys score some goals on the power play, we gave them a chance to get going now by just sitting in that box too much," Columbus coach John Tortorella said. "That's the hard part of this game."

Goaltender Tuukka Rask also came up big for the Bruins by stopping 39 shots -- including a penalty shot in the first period to keep the Blue Jackets from tying the score.

Bergeron scored 26 seconds later to give the Bruins a 2-0 lead.

"Goalies get hot this time of year. Tuukka played great. We'd love him to stay hot, but to rely on your goalie to win games for you is bad form," Cassidy said. "He certainly did his part ... but (in) general you need your top guys going."

The lone goal the Blue Jackets scored was a controversial one, as replays showed a deflected shot went off the protective netting above the glass and came back onto the ice, with Oliver Bjorkstrand feeding Artemi Panarin to make it 2-1 midway through the first period.

"It's easy to lose your composure when something like that happens, something out of (your) control," Bruins defenseman Charlie McAvoy said. "Credit to us to staying with it, realizing there's still a lot of hockey to be played."

Overall, Tortorella and Blue Jackets players seemed happy with how they're playing entering Game 5.

"It's the series, man," Blue Jackets captain Nick Foligno said. "It's 2-2, and this is what we thought it was going to be, so I'm not too concerned. We obviously need to tighten up in certain areas, make sure our (penalty) kill is a little bit better."

Added defenseman Seth Jones: "Obviously, it stings right now, but it's a series for a reason. We knew it wasn't going to be an easy series against a team that has been there and done that. Game 5 is obviously a pretty big one."

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
David Backes ‘should be good to go’ for Game 5, says Bruce Cassidy

Backes also absorbed a very tangible elbow to the jaw from Columbus’s Dean Kukan, a blow that knocked him out of action for much of the opening period but will not likely prevent him from playing in Game 5 Saturday.

“I have not seen him, assume he’s feeling well,” Bruins coach Bruce Cassidysaid Friday. “He finished the game, played hard. He should be good to go tomorrow. I thought he did his job well.”

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I think the game 2 crowd sucked because there wasn’t any dislike yet and also some fan fatigue with the quick turnaround. I also know a lot of people who sold that game so I’m guessing the crowd was pretty amanteur.

I’m expecting much better tomorrow.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I'll say this just to get it out.

I like the Blue Jackets. I like the way they play and how they're built. I like Tortorella. I like their fans. And I respect the courage they showed going into the deadline this year.

I can't tell ya how badly I want the Bruins to win with how the playoffs have all shaken down this year. I'd be scared of the Hurricanes, but you still gotta look at it like a prime opportunity that would be wasted if the Bruins lose this series.

But this wouldn't be the same as losing to the Leafs, which would forever haunt me. The Jackets are great and I'd have no trouble rooting for them.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I like the Blue Jackets. I like the way they play and how they're built. I like Tortorella. I like their fans. And I respect the courage they showed going into the deadline this year.

I can't tell ya how badly I want the Bruins to win with how the playoffs have all shaken down this year. I'd be scared of the Hurricanes, but you still gotta look at it like a prime opportunity that would be wasted if the Bruins lose this series.

But this wouldn't be the same as losing to the Leafs, which would forever haunt me. The Jackets are great and I'd have no trouble rooting for them.
My second team (if the make the next round) is the Sharks !

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

I like the Jackets play too.
Got a good blend of everything.

Reactions: Boston Bandit

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT

Can't disagree with this post anymore... loathe this team on every level... almost more than the Leafs at this point. Can you actually delete this post? Bad juju.

BRUIIIIIINNNNNNNNNSSSSS

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I don’t want another repeat of what happened last series - having to win two elimination games in a row is taxing. Win tonight, win Monday, and have nearly a full work week before the ECF starts.

Not sure how I feel about Backes being in - glad he’s healthy enough to be, but I really wish we had other players to slot in. Then again, if he isn’t a huge weak link on the ice...and last game, I don’t think he was....he could be helpful in controlling the feistiness of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad