Series Talk: ECQF: New York Rangers vs Washington Capitals (NYR Lead 3-0)

What is your prediction of the result of this series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Presidents Cup Winner plus a Sports Illustrated cover, what could go wrong!

Attachments

• rangers-spring-how-the-blueshirts-somehow-became-the-june-02-2014-sports-illustrated-cover (1).jpg
    rangers-spring-how-the-blueshirts-somehow-became-the-june-02-2014-sports-illustrated-cover (1).jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 1

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This could always come back to bite me, but this idea of Charlie Lindgren being an unbeatable force is laughable to me.

He had a .911 SV% this year, which is above average. But it’s not like Vezina worthy and he was in the 8’s last year. He’s a career journeyman. The Rangers have a habit of making mediocre goalies into stars (like the NJ guy last year that can’t stop a beach ball now), so it’s possible, but Lindgren is not that good. This year or his career.

And guess what? The Rangers have a much better goalie in their net who has not allowed more than 3 goals in the playoffs in 23 straight games.

Lindgren may not be the weakness of the Caps, but you aren’t playing the Flyers anymore. This is the big boy division now. I see no evidence he has a chance to win them the series.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
This could always come back to bite me, but this idea of Charlie Lindgren being an unbeatable force is laughable to me.

He had a .911 SV% this year, which is above average. But it’s not like Vezina worthy and he was in the 8’s last year. He’s a career journeyman. The Rangers have a habit of making mediocre goalies into stars (like the NJ guy last year that can’t stop a beach ball now), so it’s possible, but Lindgren is not that good. This year or his career.

And guess what? The Rangers have a much better goalie in their net who has not allowed more than 3 goals in the playoffs in 23 straight games.

Lindgren may not be the weakness of the Caps, but you aren’t playing the Flyers anymore. This is the big boy division now. I see no evidence he has a chance to win them the series.
He's had hot streaks. I mean, Igor is at a .913 this season lol. For parts of the season, we wanted to fire him into the sun. Goaltending will be based on the hot hand, like it often is in playoffs.

I hope igor turns it up for the playoffs. He's been good in the past, but this season he's just looked fine.

I was sitting right behind him in that crazy game last season he made like 75 saves. He can be amazing. But he has also shown the potential to be garbage.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Capitals D for Game 1 vs. Rangers

NHL playoff games played:

John Carlson: 123
Trevor van Riemsdyk: 32
Martin Fehevary: 8*
Dylan McIlrath: 1
Alexander Alexeyev: 0
Vincent Iorio: 0

*McIlrath played one playoff game for Rangers vs. Penguins in 2016

Reactions: wetcoast

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Capitals D for Game 1 vs. Rangers

NHL playoff games played:

John Carlson: 123
Trevor van Riemsdyk: 32
Martin Fehevary: 8*
Dylan McIlrath: 1
Alexander Alexeyev: 0
Vincent Iorio: 0

*McIlrath played one playoff game for Rangers vs. Penguins in 2016
I spent far too long wondering why it mattered for Fehevary that McIlrath played a game for the Rangers. Then I read the next line with the McIlrath stat.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hard to see how the Caps have a chance in this. Especially with what looks like reasonably significant injuries on defence where they were already not ultra deep. But the Rangers will probably give them a pity head start in the series, just to make things interesting. I probably should've said Rangers in 5 or 6 instead of a sweep. But unless something wild happens, Tom Wilson causes the Rangers to implode again or something...it's hard to see in what area of the game the Caps would have the edge to even get that win or two. Save for the Rangers starting out desperately flat again.

Reactions: BHD

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
He's had hot streaks. I mean, Igor is at a .913 this season lol. For parts of the season, we wanted to fire him into the sun. Goaltending will be based on the hot hand, like it often is in playoffs.

I hope igor turns it up for the playoffs. He's been good in the past, but this season he's just looked fine.

I was sitting right behind him in that crazy game last season he made like 75 saves. He can be amazing. But he has also shown the potential to be garbage.

Igor has a .929 save percentage since the All Star break. He is back in top form.

Belos

Dec 21, 2019
WAS VS NYR

Washington Capitals

85 Ovechkin, 76 McMichael(+), 78 Oshie
76 Protas, 83 Strome (+), 81 Wilson
80 Pacioretty, 75 Lapierre, 78 Milano(+)
74 Malenstyn, 79 Dowd, 74 Aube-Kubel

82 Fehervary(+), 84 Carlson
81 Van Riemsdyk, 79 Iorio
78 Alexeyev, 71 Mcilrath
77 Jensen

84 Lindgren(+)
79 Kuemper
79 Shepard

New York Rangers

84 Kreider, 84 Zibanejad, 77 Roslovic
86 Panarin(+), 82 Trocheck, 78 Lafrenière(+)
74 Cuylle, 77 Wennberg, 74 Kaako
76 Vesey, 73 Goodrow, 73 Rempe(+)

78 Lindgren, 90 Fox
82 Miller, 77 Schneider
81 Gustafsson, 79 Trouba

86 Shestyorkin(-)
85 Quick(+)

1. Stop the center of the storm

Artemi Panarin is a great talent. His reaction time however is what separates him from all-time level playmakers like McDavid and Kucherov. The Washington Capitals have finally a united team that should be comfortable playing hard nose, defensive style hockey to frustrate him. Like Johnny Gaudreau’s Calgary Flames of the past(who had superior reaction time but more vacillating resiliency), will stopping him completely short-circuit the whole machine? Very probably imo. Outside of him, the New York Rangers may have average to below average playmaking foundations and thus with the added pressure of facing an extreme underdog by betting odds, things could gradually exponentially unravel. While Adam Fox is their best player and offensive backbone, waves and waves of size coming at him could become an issue thus prioritizing his survival might cost the team.

Likelihood of event happening: 35%

Effects: Critical

1. Uncomfortable playoffs rites of passage

Ovechkin’s crew has changed quite a bit in his last chapter. Now that Washington employ’s two young centermen in important roles (McMichael, Lapierre), the Rangers must use their inexperience against them in every way possible. If the young guns start to feel it and make their primary shooters happy(Ovy, Pacioretty, Carlson), this might give too much of a jump to otherwise venerable but fast aging veterans.

Likelihood of event happening: 15%

1. Pride of an enforcer

The Matt Rempe storyline has been every bit as compelling as the other storylines of this past regular season. Now more than ever before, his talents will be in high demand. Problem is however that the Capitals can more than match that particular skill set and so the questions that begs to be asked are; Will the emotions be too much as a quickly rising face of this Rangers team? Is the discernment of the moment to use these skills there? Can the ego be checked at certain junctures? Are the Rangers solely reliant on him and Goodrow to provide an edge? Jarome Iginla had the instinct to see the moment. Can Rempe get to that in this department sooner rather than later? If we receive negative answers from these questions, even if thought of anemic, inopportune Caps power play could prove the decider.

Likelihood of event happening: 20%

Effects: Very good

1. Forcing predictability for success

Due to the nature of the team, the “worst team” to make the playoffs can perhaps only see success through predictable offensive sets. The Rangers would be well served to not overcommit to actions and let Igor Shestyorkin gradually regain world beater form for long post season aspirations.

Likelihood of event happening: 25%

1. Wrinkles

Even though John Carlson might understand Alex Ovechkin’s shooting wheelhouse like the back of his hand, Sandin may perhaps be the better option for the top power play unit due to far better lateral mobility for seeing eye point shots. Carlson could run the 2nd unit to further expand his command of the power play perhaps.

Likelihood of event happening: 5% due to lack of reps

Effects: Good

A much anticipated series for a few reasons of evaluation purposes that I enjoy. There's different scenarios that could apply that may not be obvious when glossing through the numbers. Quite the toss up but ever so slight edge to Washington. Evgeny Kuznetsov and Alex Ovechkin may have a rendezvous set to clear the air…

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the first goal in this series is extremely important. The Caps want to hang around, get the opportunistic goal, and frustrate the Rangers.

That can work if you get the first goal. If the Rangers do, it puts the Caps in a tough position. They can’t really win that way.

The Caps were playing well today until that first goal. After that, the game got away from them quickly.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Lmao, well as I suggested, the 🧢 got Molly whopped.
Would’ve been a more competitive series with the Wings.

Have fun getting destroyed no 🧢 fans.

Actually David Savard icing the puck gave Detroit the game. But why quibble?

Much as I'd like to see it, can't see that happening. Goal went in off his leg last night but other than that he was barely noticeable.

Can see Washington out-lasting the Rangers. But don't think he'll be the reason.
Roflcopter

WAS VS NYR

Washington Capitals

85 Ovechkin, 76 McMichael(+), 78 Oshie
76 Protas, 83 Strome (+), 81 Wilson
80 Pacioretty, 75 Lapierre, 78 Milano(+)
74 Malenstyn, 79 Dowd, 74 Aube-Kubel

82 Fehervary(+), 84 Carlson
81 Van Riemsdyk, 79 Iorio
78 Alexeyev, 71 Mcilrath
77 Jensen

84 Lindgren(+)
79 Kuemper
79 Shepard

New York Rangers

84 Kreider, 84 Zibanejad, 77 Roslovic
86 Panarin(+), 82 Trocheck, 78 Lafrenière(+)
74 Cuylle, 77 Wennberg, 74 Kaako
76 Vesey, 73 Goodrow, 73 Rempe(+)

78 Lindgren, 90 Fox
82 Miller, 77 Schneider
81 Gustafsson, 79 Trouba

86 Shestyorkin(-)
85 Quick(+)

1. Stop the center of the storm

Artemi Panarin is a great talent. His reaction time however is what separates him from all-time level playmakers like McDavid and Kucherov. The Washington Capitals have finally a united team that should be comfortable playing hard nose, defensive style hockey to frustrate him. Like Johnny Gaudreau’s Calgary Flames of the past(who had superior reaction time but more vacillating resiliency), will stopping him completely short-circuit the whole machine? Very probably imo. Outside of him, the New York Rangers may have average to below average playmaking foundations and thus with the added pressure of facing an extreme underdog by betting odds, things could gradually exponentially unravel. While Adam Fox is their best player and offensive backbone, waves and waves of size coming at him could become an issue thus prioritizing his survival might cost the team.

Likelihood of event happening: 35%

1. Uncomfortable playoffs rites of passage

Ovechkin’s crew has changed quite a bit in his last chapter. Now that Washington employ’s two young centermen in important roles (McMichael, Lapierre), the Rangers must use their inexperience against them in every way possible. If the young guns start to feel it and make their primary shooters happy(Ovy, Pacioretty, Carlson), this might give too much of a jump to otherwise venerable but fast aging veterans.

Likelihood of event happening: 15%

1. Pride of an enforcer

The Matt Rempe storyline has been every bit as compelling as the other storylines of this past regular season. Now more than ever before, his talents will be in high demand. Problem is however that the Capitals can more than match that particular skill set and so the questions that begs to be asked are; Will the emotions be too much as a quickly rising face of this Rangers team? Is the discernment of the moment to use these skills there? Can the ego be checked at certain junctures? Are the Rangers solely reliant on him and Goodrow to provide an edge? Jarome Iginla had the instinct to see the moment. Can Rempe get to that in this department sooner rather than later? If we receive negative answers from these questions, even if thought of anemic, inopportune Caps power play could prove the decider.

Likelihood of event happening: 20%

1. Forcing predictability for success

Due to the nature of the team, the “worst team” to make the playoffs can perhaps only see success through predictable offensive sets. The Rangers would be well served to not overcommit to actions and let Igor Shestyorkin gradually regain world beater form for long post season aspirations.

Likelihood of event happening: 25%

1. Wrinkles

Even though John Carlson might understand Alex Ovechkin’s shooting wheelhouse like the back of his hand, Sandin may perhaps be the better option for the top power play unit due to far better lateral mobility for seeing eye point shots. Carlson could run the 2nd unit to further expand his command of the power play perhaps.

Likelihood of event happening: 5% due to lack of reps

Effects: Good

A much anticipated series for a few reasons of evaluation purposes that I enjoy. There's different scenarios that could apply that may not be obvious when glossing through the numbers. Quite the toss up but ever so slight edge to Washington. Evgeny Kuznetsov and Alex Ovechkin may have a rendezvous set to clear the air…
Calm down, the no 🧢 got wrecked.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Game 1 down and complete domination by the Rangers, on the scoreboard, along the boards, in the crease at both ends and after the whistle. The Rangers 3d and 4th line are big and play a hard hitting, mean game and gave the caps defense all sorts of problems which are only going to get worse if they lose another starter and if Carlson has to play 27-30 tough mins a game.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Strange brag when your team finished the season 8-12-3, losing twice to the Caps and missing the playoffs.
I’d rather be in the wings shoes compared to the caps.

Our core is a whole lot younger and we have great pieces coming up.

While yes we missed out on the playoffs, because of an empty net, tie game, winning goal, the caps were never going to do much damage in the playoffs.

as a red wings fan … shouldn’t you be doing mock drafts right now?
Have fun getting destroyed 🧢 fans

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Pretty typical Caps game. They had a lot of these this season and it is a good example of why their goal differential was so bad. They need a lot to go their way to win, but Lindgren has to be better in net. Still, each game counts the same and they can easily bounce back and steal game 2.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It's just goaltending dude.
Sure but his answer was so deep and it sounds better to a certain segment which includes me and sure it's goaltending but their goaltending was timely and not all that great overall in the regular season so the poster's position has some strong merit.

And did I mention that it sounds better?:naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad