Series Talk: ECQF: New York Rangers vs Washington Capitals (NYR Lead 3-0)

What is your prediction of the result of this series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The hit on Oshie was clean.

Funny to hear all the whining coming out of Capsland when they've been delivering the dirtiest hits in the league consistently for the last 30+ years
Pretty sure I saw Wilson jump into a hit later in the game trying to paste a D man into the boards

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
I see a lot of NYR posters have borrowed some courage from their team's 2-0 series lead. I wonder if they will show the same courage if they have to play the Canes next. I have seen nothing from them that would make me hopeful about getting out of the second round if I was a Rangers fan.

The refs have inserted themselves into this series far too often. Lots of ticky-tack phantom calls all while missing some egregious penalties (going both ways). I've watched all of the other series, and I think this one is the worst officiated of the bunch. I say let the teams actually play something that resembles what playoff hockey should be.

Despite a rookie coach, depleted defense, aging veterans, and inexperienced youth, I think the Caps have gotten better each game. I think they'll continue to adapt and improve when the series goes back to DC. They really need to get Jensen and Sandin back to have a chance, though. Their transition game has been really poor without them.
Are you a canes fan? The rangers have owned the canes, including in the playoffs, for a long time now

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Panarin taking tips from Trouba on how to throw a "clean by the NHL rulebook but actually hurts a guy" check, you love to see it

IMO Wilson has been the Caps best player through two games which is cool for him but doesn't seem great for the Caps overall

On the cycle the Caps could probably find ways to confuse coverage, set some (legal) picks, etc, even if their skating speed isn't enough to do it by themselves. But they are somewhat limited and it is what it is
“But actually hurts a guy”

…..Oshie was back on the ice 2 minutes later

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Just call the obvious ones please. Panarin got sticked in the face with the puck, no call. That's the kind of shit that bothers me.

Tom Wilson should also be the last guy complaining. He created this environment. Caps fans ran with "horrifying acts of violence" from 2021, well it's going to bite you in the ass now.

Two games, two massive hits from Lafreniere and Panarin. Two wins. Better question is, who's next for a big hit?

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
I’m might be old fashioned but if you jab another dude in the nuts with your stick I think an elbow to the face is a fair response…

Remove the names from that exchange and pretty much no one of sound mind takes issue with Wilson’s response.

Mess with the bull, get the horns.
The elbow came first according to the vid i watched? My brother decided to freak the f*** out during the game so i left and didnt get to see most of the second half.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024

Funny to hear all the whining coming out of Capsland when they've been delivering the dirtiest hits in the league consistently for the last 30+ years
It’s only been 30 years since the dale hunter era began in dc?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Respect.

Just call the obvious ones please. Panarin got sticked in the face with the puck, no call. That's the kind of shit that bothers me.

Tom Wilson should also be the last guy complaining. He created this environment. Caps fans ran with "horrifying acts of violence" from 2021, well it's going to bite you in the ass now.

Two games, two massive hits from Lafreniere and Panarin. Two wins. Better question is, who's next for a big hit?

Oshie coming into multiple scums stick head high really infuriated me. Ridiculous dangerous and uncalled for. He had also hit Panarin before Panarin touched the puck earlier in the shift.

Oshie earned everrrrry bit of that hit and then some. Hopefully he tones it down since he was an absolute scumbag last night.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Just want to confirm - you do realize they wear cups right? Just want to make sure you know its not straight stick to nuts contact. It isn't as painful as you might think. Similar to a slapshot to the shin pad.
The cups just disperse the pain though.

As a youth I got hit in the nuts while playing goalie in a rec game and it hurt for 2 weeks. Who knows on the actual play but for most guys it's instinctive to "overreact" when any violence occurs down there.

jaywills1020

Mar 14, 2004
I see a lot of NYR posters have borrowed some courage from their team's 2-0 series lead. I wonder if they will show the same courage if they have to play the Canes next. I have seen nothing from them that would make me hopeful about getting out of the second round if I was a Rangers fan.

The refs have inserted themselves into this series far too often. Lots of ticky-tack phantom calls all while missing some egregious penalties (going both ways). I've watched all of the other series, and I think this one is the worst officiated of the bunch. I say let the teams actually play something that resembles what playoff hockey should be.

Despite a rookie coach, depleted defense, aging veterans, and inexperienced youth, I think the Caps have gotten better each game. I think they'll continue to adapt and improve when the series goes back to DC. They really need to get Jensen and Sandin back to have a chance, though. Their transition game has been really poor without them.
Gotten better each game? It’s only been 2 games and you make it sound like it’s going into game 7.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
How is the game made better by a ref looking at Wilson elbow Cuylle in the chops right smack 5 feet from him with his eyes glued on them, and letting it go?
Seriously, it's like some kind of f***ed up power trip by the ref. Refs shouldn't get away with that kind of abuse of their duty.

If a Rangers player did what Wilson did, I would call him stupid and hope it didn't hurt the team with his ass in the box.
You kidding? The refs clearly won the game for the Rags. Panarin should have gotten 5 and a game and a stray look at a blueshirt was enough to get penalized apparently.

Trigger warning: Horrifying acts of violence

So long Pavel, we have a new Mother of All Elbows

Lol was that it? Ranger fans are so silly if they're upset about that.

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
I could be wrong but didn’t Joe Micheletti say that the refs reviewed the Panarin hit and took away the penalty they called?
Yes, that's correct. Oshie was leaning forward and the main point of contact was basically Panarin's back with Oshie's entire upper body. Not a glancing shoulder-to-head hit that Rule 48 prohibits. Well-executed hit tbh

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
You kidding? The refs clearly won the game for the Rags. Panarin should have gotten 5 and a game and a stray look at a blueshirt was enough to get penalized apparently.

Lol was that it? Ranger fans are so silly if they're upset about that.
Game 2 powerplays:
Washington - 2/5
New York - 2/6

Looks pretty even to me. Panarin didn't even have a point in the game.

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Speed. This is the biggest thing I’ve noticed. They struggle to push the Rangers back. They only have a few guys I think skate better than NHL average. They need to make a concerted effort to bring in more speed next season.
We're certainly trying:) But two great skaters in Sandin & Jensen got replaced by MacIlrath and Lucas Johansen.

Game 2 powerplays:
Washington - 2/5
New York - 2/6

Looks pretty even to me. Panarin didn't even have a point in the game.
Yeah there were make up calls. But also make believe calls called and make believe clean hits not called.

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Yes, that's correct. Oshie was leaning forward and the main point of contact was basically Panarin's back with Oshie's entire upper body. Not a glancing shoulder-to-head hit that Rule 48 prohibits. Well-executed hit tbh
You're allowed to lean forward though. Panarin normally doesn't hit in situations like that and was clearly headhunting out of anger.

And most likely if he got suspended it would be over after the Rangers sweep us. Now there'll probably be more significant injury affecting the Rangers chances going forward.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
We're certainly trying:) But two great skaters in Sandin & Jensen got replaced by MacIlrath and Lucas Johansen.

Yeah there were make up calls. But also make believe calls called and make believe clean hits not called.
Gotta take those rosy glasses off. Make up calls go both ways all game, all season, all series.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
As a caps fan I didn't mind the hit, unfortunately got some of Oshies head but that’s playoff hockey son. I’m just happy to wear a Jersey late April. Hopefully Ovi decides to play and can make it two interesting games in Washington

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
As a caps fan I didn't mind the hit, unfortunately got some of Oshies head but that’s playoff hockey son. I’m just happy to wear a Jersey late April. Hopefully Ovi decides to play and can make it two interesting games in Washington
I literally haven't watched the Caps play at all this year except when they play the Rangers. Has Ovechkin been this invisible all year? I know he got some goals going at the end there but he still basically looks like he's standing around saying "pass to me I'll shoot it!" or going to the net occasionally (which is a good decision)
Other than that he looks checked out completely

Reactions: wetcoast

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I literally haven't watched the Caps play at all this year except when they play the Rangers. Has Ovechkin been this invisible all year? I know he got some goals going at the end there but he still basically looks like he's standing around saying "pass to me I'll shoot it!" or going to the net occasionally (which is a good decision)
Other than that he looks checked out completely
He was very off before the all star break, had a few overturned goals and just overall unlucky and some speculated he was injured. Looked way different after the break shooting around 20.0% Obviously with goals from his office, goals around the net and being way more physical. If it wasn’t for him we weren’t sniffing the playoffs. He’s been completely off the 2 games in NY, credit to NY tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad