Series Talk: ECQF: New York Rangers vs Washington Capitals (NYR Lead 3-0)

What is your prediction of the result of this series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I don’t mind the no call, I do think the refs should’ve used better judgement and not assessed McMichael a penalty. I mean, if you literally have to video review it to see if it’s a major penalty it seems unfair to assess a roughing penalty on McMichael who clearly saw it as a major as well. Also, it was a very soft roughing.

My issue is solely with how some how WAS ended up short handed.

Also, Caps fans are hyper sensitive regarding Oshie, he’s had many head injuries and it’s clear his time is somewhat numbered in playing because of his health. He’s beloved so many hits against him will be a hot button issue for some.
i see your gripe about the soft roughing and ending up SH and would almost assuredly share it were the situation reversed. they have been calling the third man in pretty consistently for a few years now though, mcmichael went in a little too aggressively to ignore.

for what it's worth, zibanejad also has had an extensive history with concussions. is it crazy to imagine wilson is targeting him for that very reason?

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
It was a pretty soft roughing call on Rempe too. Last night was such a weird mixture of soft calls that you might expect if the officials were calling the game tight and letting things go that clearly should have been penalties.
Rempe definitely getting hit with the reputation calls in this series. I know he’s public enemy number one here, but Wilson gets these a lot in the playoffs too. You’ll find that modern officiating crews try to “send a message” or set a tone early in games by nicking these guys for ticky tack stuff. It goes with the territory, TW43 hasn’t had one yet (shocking) but maybe that’s because they saw Rempe as more of a feisty target being young and in his first series.

Officiating in this league is rife with dumb game management like this. The evening of calls, the make up calls, the sending a message penalties. I just wish they’d call it straight. I can live with the idea that sometimes they make mistakes, it never feels like a makeup call actually fixes that, I’d just prefer some transparency and admitting after the game when they bungled a call.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
game 2.jpg

DALL-E's depiction of last night's game. As usual it's sort of a fever dream but kinda fitting for how intense that game was.

It always seems to do a better job when asking for the same thing as pixel art:

game 2 pixel art.jpg

Other than the garbled logo, looks like it came right out of an NES or Turbografx game.

Last edited:

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Rangers sweep. This Caps team is a shell of what it once was with Backstrom and Kuznetsov. Nobody can get Ovy the puck and if he has 0 shots, Washington has no chance.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Rempe definitely getting hit with the reputation calls in this series. I know he’s public enemy number one here, but Wilson gets these a lot in the playoffs too. You’ll find that modern officiating crews try to “send a message” or set a tone early in games by nicking these guys for ticky tack stuff. It goes with the territory, TW43 hasn’t had one yet (shocking) but maybe that’s because they saw Rempe as more of a feisty target being young and in his first series.

Officiating in this league is rife with dumb game management like this. The evening of calls, the make up calls, the sending a message penalties. I just wish they’d call it straight. I can live with the idea that sometimes they make mistakes, it never feels like a makeup call actually fixes that, I’d just prefer some transparency and admitting after the game when they bungled a call.
I agree I wish they called it straight. I thought the Panarin hit was borderline, but it's clear they lean in favor of no-call for star scoring players, and lean in favor of calling ticky-tacky stuff with guys like Rempe.

It is what it is. I do think that overall, both sides of every game deal with unpredictable officiating so it evens out.

At the end of the day, you have to be good at PP, PK, and even strength to make it deep into the playoffs with how unpredictable officiating is in the league. At least it's better than NFL and NBA officiating.

Rangers sweep. This Caps team is a shell of what it once was with Backstrom and Kuznetsov. Nobody can get Ovy the puck and if he has 0 shots, Washington has no chance.
As a Rangers fan, I would be delighted with a sweep, but I wouldn't go so far as saying that Washington has no chance of winning a single close game of this series. They almost forced an OT last night. And once that happens, it's a coin flip. They'll likely play better at Capital One arena in front of their own fans too. If I'm not mistaken, their home record was way better than their away record.

Reactions: YippieKaey

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Are you implying he over reacted to getting hit in the nuts with a hockey stick?

I’m willing to concede this if you submit a video if you getting hit in the nuts with a stick and not dropping to you knees.
Yeah I completely changed my stance on the elbow from Wilson. It was dirty, but so is a hockey stick to the nads. Fair response from Wilson, IMO.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
View attachment 858808

DALL-E's depiction of last night's game. As usual it's sort of a fever dream but kinda fitting for how intense that game was.

It always seems to do a better job when asking for the same thing as pixel art:

View attachment 858811

Other than the garbled logo, looks like it came right out of an NES or Turbografx game.
I feel like the bottom one is straight out of Blades of Steel for NES.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Would be nice if the "message" the refs send is less "no rough stuff, Rempe, so you are going to get called if you breathe near a player" and more "you aren't allowed to high stick players in the face".

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
oshie poked the bear too many times and he finally bit back. Sucks he took a hard clean hit, that’s hockey.
I have a few friends on different teams and fyi oshie is known as a guy who will NEVER pass up an opportunity to catch a guy in a vulnerable spot and then pretend hes sorry when theyre hurt.

Oshie is notorious for texting guys after he hurts them and its a running joke around the league

Reactions: HolyHagelin

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Are you implying he over reacted to getting hit in the nuts with a hockey stick?

I’m willing to concede this if you submit a video if you getting hit in the nuts with a stick and not dropping to you knees.
Just want to confirm - you do realize they wear cups right? Just want to make sure you know its not straight stick to nuts contact. It isn't as painful as you might think. Similar to a slapshot to the shin pad.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I have a few friends on different teams and fyi oshie is known as a guy who will NEVER pass up an opportunity to catch a guy in a vulnerable spot and then pretend hes sorry when theyre hurt.

Oshie is notorious for texting guys after he hurts them and its a running joke around the league
Or maybe he's genuinely sorry/concerned?

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
I love how fans (on both sides) in this thread are acting like the teams should play squeaky clean and that there isn't existing bad blood between them.

In Sam Rosen's words, "it's rough, it's mean, it's nasty." It made for an entertaining game last night.

The one thing I wish is that the officials would be consistent. There was plenty let go in both directions last night, but stuff like Milano doing to Trouba EXACTLY the same thing Kreider got called for... cross checking the defender in front of the net. I think it was right before Trouba ended up taking a penalty in the corner. That kind of thing drives me crazy. It drives the players crazy too, on all sides.
Yep, ultimately I think the correct amount of penalties were called and neither team got the short end of the stick referee-wise. But the formula for getting there couldn't have been more inconsistent. Blatant penalties went uncalled. Minor infractions were called. Nobody knew what was or wasn't going to be called going forward. That level of inconsistency is not good for the game and usually leads to games getting out of hand from a chippiness perspective. Players feel the need to police the game themselves. Surprise, surprise, this game bordered on getting out of hand. The refs fueled that.

And it's the same refs this happens with all the time. Perhaps they shouldn't be calling playoff games. Or NHL games at all.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yep, ultimately I think the correct amount of penalties were called and neither team got the short end of the stick referee-wise. But the formula for getting there couldn't have been more inconsistent. Blatant penalties went uncalled. Minor infractions were called. Nobody knew what was or wasn't going to be called going forward. That level of inconsistency is not good for the game and usually leads to games getting out of hand from a chippiness perspective. Players feel the need to police the game themselves. Surprise, surprise, this game bordered on getting out of hand. The refs fueled that.

And it's the same refs this happens with all the time. Perhaps they shouldn't be calling playoff games. Or NHL games at all.

Yeah, there was definitely a moment last night where I thought "the refs have totally lost control of the game here"

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It means being emboldened by deeds that aren't your own. Such as, your team winning the first 2 games and coming here in the series thread to dunk on the other teams fans. It looks pretty pathetic when you're rooting for the Presidents Trophy team and you need to gloat against a team that wasn't even expected to make the playoffs.

The only saltiness I see from Caps fans, is against the Rangers fans acting like total tools. Most of us were pleasantly surprised to make the playoffs and we didn't expect to win this series. We're just hoping to see a competitive series and growth from our young players. I still think the Caps will continue to get stronger as the series goes along and make it interesting.
This is one of the most tame of these shared playoff threads I’ve seen in a long time. The thread with the Pens fans two years ago was heated. This is nothing. There are going to be boisterous and homer comments both ways. I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t expect that.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
oshie poked the bear too many times and he finally bit back. Sucks he took a hard clean hit, that’s hockey.
Panarin taking tips from Trouba on how to throw a "clean by the NHL rulebook but actually hurts a guy" check, you love to see it

IMO Wilson has been the Caps best player through two games which is cool for him but doesn't seem great for the Caps overall

Speed. This is the biggest thing I’ve noticed. They struggle to push the Rangers back. They only have a few guys I think skate better than NHL average. They need to make a concerted effort to bring in more speed next season.
On the cycle the Caps could probably find ways to confuse coverage, set some (legal) picks, etc, even if their skating speed isn't enough to do it by themselves. But they are somewhat limited and it is what it is

Reactions: ecemleafs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad