Series Talk: ECQF: New York Rangers vs Washington Capitals (NYR Lead 3-0)

What is your prediction of the result of this series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
I see a lot of NYR posters have borrowed some courage from their team's 2-0 series lead. I wonder if they will show the same courage if they have to play the Canes next. I have seen nothing from them that would make me hopeful about getting out of the second round if I was a Rangers fan.

The refs have inserted themselves into this series far too often. Lots of ticky-tack phantom calls all while missing some egregious penalties (going both ways). I've watched all of the other series, and I think this one is the worst officiated of the bunch. I say let the teams actually play something that resembles what playoff hockey should be.

Despite a rookie coach, depleted defense, aging veterans, and inexperienced youth, I think the Caps have gotten better each game. I think they'll continue to adapt and improve when the series goes back to DC. They really need to get Jensen and Sandin back to have a chance, though. Their transition game has been really poor without them.
agree with most of this. Its the playoffs and teams simplify their games to prevent disaster but really thought the rangers would be scoring more based on the caps AHL defense and really a lack of defensive forwards. Charlie is great and maybe thats the difference but if the rangers are winning the cup this year they are going to have play a lot better then this. To me the real difference in the series comes down to when the chances for either team have happened, the rangers skill guys score and the caps dont have that answer anymore. Only two games but their best player has 1 gift goal so far and outside of some fancy skating by himself hasnt done anything. At least Ovi is old as hell, whats Panarins excuse. The one thing rangers are doing right is getting timely scoring. To win you have to get goals from random players. This might get closer if the caps can get those two dmen back. Still almost certainly a rangers win but what else was supposed to happen.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I see a lot of NYR posters have borrowed some courage from their team's 2-0 series lead. I wonder if they will show the same courage if they have to play the Canes next. I have seen nothing from them that would make me hopeful about getting out of the second round if I was a Rangers fan.

The refs have inserted themselves into this series far too often. Lots of ticky-tack phantom calls all while missing some egregious penalties (going both ways). I've watched all of the other series, and I think this one is the worst officiated of the bunch. I say let the teams actually play something that resembles what playoff hockey should be.

Despite a rookie coach, depleted defense, aging veterans, and inexperienced youth, I think the Caps have gotten better each game. I think they'll continue to adapt and improve when the series goes back to DC. They really need to get Jensen and Sandin back to have a chance, though. Their transition game has been really poor without them.
Borrowed courage? :laugh:

Washingtonton had a -40ish goal differential in the RS.

The Canes are the cup favorite according to the sports books.

No one is salivating at a potential matchup with the canes. Half our fan base is ready to jump off a cliff after that game.

This sounds more like pre-emptive saltiness from you than "borrowed courage" or whatever the f*** that means, from Rangers fans.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

No one is salivating at a potential matchup with the canes. Half our fan base is ready to jump off a cliff after that game.

This sounds more like pre-emptive saltiness from you than "borrowed courage" or whatever the f*** that means, from Rangers fans.

f*** that shit. Bring on the Canes. Yes, they are a tough match up, but I want the least amount of excuses from the general dummies out there if/when we win that series.

Seems no matter what the Rangers do or who they beat, some dummy will come up with an excuse or reason as to why and still chime in that the team is not that good.

It's tiresome.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
For all of the Tom Wilson talk, whether he hit Igor or not, that doesn't change the fact that he's a dirtbag.

Regarding the Panarin non-call last night, I am shocked that he didn't at least get a minor penalty for that. I'm a Rangers fan, and I think that was a big swing and a miss by the refs. We got lucky that the refs were blind on that play.

Does anyone know the broadcaster tandem for the next thee games? I need to know if I need to bother my mom and dad for their tv account info for msg go

If the game's on ESPN, we get Sean McDonough and Ray Ferarro. But Games 3 and 4 are on TNT/TBS, so my guess is Kenny Albert and Eddie Olczyk will be calling those games. The Rangers always seem to draw the top broadcast pairings.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
For all of the Tom Wilson talk, whether he hit Igor or not, that doesn't change the fact that he's a dirtbag.

Regarding the Panarin non-call last night, I am shocked that he didn't at least get a minor penalty for that. I'm a Rangers fan, and I think that was a big swing and a miss by the refs. We got lucky that the refs were blind on that play.

If the game's on ESPN, we get Sean McDonough and Ray Ferarro. But Games 3 and 4 are on TNT/TBS, so my guess is Kenny Albert and Eddie Olczyk will be calling those games. The Rangers always seem to draw the top broadcast pairings.
His elbow to Cullye off the faceoff when the ref's weren't looking just reconfirms that for the millionth time. It was worse than the supposed Panarin elbow, which was a clean hit.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland

It means being emboldened by deeds that aren't your own. Such as, your team winning the first 2 games and coming here in the series thread to dunk on the other teams fans. It looks pretty pathetic when you're rooting for the Presidents Trophy team and you need to gloat against a team that wasn't even expected to make the playoffs.

The only saltiness I see from Caps fans, is against the Rangers fans acting like total tools. Most of us were pleasantly surprised to make the playoffs and we didn't expect to win this series. We're just hoping to see a competitive series and growth from our young players. I still think the Caps will continue to get stronger as the series goes along and make it interesting.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Even if that should have been a penalty (I think it was clean, but I can see the argument), them not calling it is only fair after they missed the 2 calls against Oshie when he high sticked Panarin and when he grabbed Panarin from behind and put him in a headlock. Either one of those plays should have earned Oshie a penalty.

That said, the refs were ridiculously bad in this game. They called the borderline stuff and ignored the egregious stuff.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I’m might be old fashioned but if you jab another dude in the nuts with your stick I think an elbow to the face is a fair response…

Remove the names from that exchange and pretty much no one of sound mind takes issue with Wilson’s response.

Mess with the bull, get the horns.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
Are we really going with the tired trope, “well they won’t win anything after this round” already?

Is the expectation that in the NHL that you have to beat a playoff team 5-1 is every game?

Not sure who you were replying to. If it was me, I was pointing out how "brave" NYR fans had become when beating the lowly Caps. I wondered if their tone might change if they were facing an actual Stanley Cup contender in Carolina.

• Haha
Reactions: HolyHagelin

GG96

Feb 21, 2020
I’m might be old fashioned but if you jab another dude in the nuts with your stick I think an elbow to the face is a fair response…

Remove the names from that exchange and pretty much no one of sound mind takes issue with Wilson’s response.

What if that person overreacted like he was Kennedy in Dallas?

Reactions: Flan the incredible

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Yeah I didn't see the sack tap live. Completely fair response from Wilson, IMO, after getting jabbed in the family jewels.

It means being emboldened by deeds that aren't your own. Such as, your team winning the first 2 games and coming here in the series thread to dunk on the other teams fans. It looks pretty pathetic when you're rooting for the Presidents Trophy team and you need to gloat against a team that wasn't even expected to make the playoffs.

The only saltiness I see from Caps fans, is against the Rangers fans acting like total tools. Most of us were pleasantly surprised to make the playoffs and we didn't expect to win this series. We're just hoping to see a competitive series and growth from our young players. I still think the Caps will continue to get stronger as the series goes along and make it interesting.
I'm aware of what it means. I'm just laughing at the absurdity of the post.

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
Rangers fans complaining about the refs after last nights game?

That’s why I just avoid the main boards during the playoffs

Hope the refs keep non calling it when it’s the other way around

Fans on this board, Rangers twitter and even more disturbing their social media teams were tweeting about it nonstop. Albeit most of these "reporters" are kids under 30 and have probably never played a game in their lives but JFC, give it a break.

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
f*** that shit. Bring on the Canes. Yes, they are a tough match up, but I want the least amount of excuses from the general dummies out there if/when we win that series.

Seems no matter what the Rangers do or who they beat, some dummy will come up with an excuse or reason as to why and still chime in that the team is not that good.

It's tiresome.

NYR has matched up very well vs CAR in the recent past. CAR is a volume shooting team, just throw everything at the net and hope. Igor nullifies some of that. CAR really lacked top end elite finishing, maybe the Guentzel and Kuz additions will help but think NYR has their clearest path to at least the ECF in a long time.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

noncents

Feb 25, 2022

i totally agree. that's why i have no issue with wilson's lil elbow on cuylle. that's playoff hockey.

but that's exactly why it's so confusing why caps fans are so offended by the panarin hit. oshie was pestering him all game: a missed high stick, a 10 second headlock/facewash. He was trying to get in panarins head, get him off his game. he was messing with the bull. Panarin saw an opportunity to hit him when he wasn't expecting it, and gave him the horns. again - that's playoff hockey.

as far as it going uncalled, this wilson special from game 1 wasn't called either:

i think the reffing in this series has been trash, but this hit was clean and warranted, and there was precedent for the no call.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I love how fans (on both sides) in this thread are acting like the teams should play squeaky clean and that there isn't existing bad blood between them.

In Sam Rosen's words, "it's rough, it's mean, it's nasty." It made for an entertaining game last night.

The one thing I wish is that the officials would be consistent. There was plenty let go in both directions last night, but stuff like Milano doing to Trouba EXACTLY the same thing Kreider got called for... cross checking the defender in front of the net. I think it was right before Trouba ended up taking a penalty in the corner. That kind of thing drives me crazy. It drives the players crazy too, on all sides.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
i totally agree. that's why i have no issue with wilson's lil elbow on cuylle. that's playoff hockey.

but that's exactly why it's so confusing why caps fans are so offended by the panarin hit. oshie was pestering him all game: a missed high stick, a 10 second headlock/facewash. He was trying to get in panarins head, get him off his game. he was messing with the bull. Panarin saw an opportunity to hit him when he wasn't expecting it, and gave him the horns. again - that's playoff hockey.

as far as it going uncalled, this wilson special from game 1 wasn't called either:

i think the reffing in this series has been trash, but this hit was clean and warranted, and there was precedent for the no call.

I don’t mind the no call, I do think the refs should’ve used better judgement and not assessed McMichael a penalty. I mean, if you literally have to video review it to see if it’s a major penalty it seems unfair to assess a roughing penalty on McMichael who clearly saw it as a major as well. Also, it was a very soft roughing.

My issue is solely with how some how WAS ended up short handed.

Also, Caps fans are hyper sensitive regarding Oshie, he’s had many head injuries and it’s clear his time is somewhat numbered in playing because of his health. He’s beloved so many hits against him will be a hot button issue for some.

• Haha
Reactions: Boris Zubov

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don’t mind the no call, I do think the refs should’ve used better judgement and not assessed McMichael a penalty. I mean, if you literally have to video review it to see if it’s a major penalty it seems unfair to assess a roughing penalty on McMichael who clearly saw it as a major as well. Also, it was a very soft roughing.

My issue is solely with how some how WAS ended up short handed.

Also, Caps fans are hyper sensitive regarding Oshie, he’s had many head injuries and it’s clear his time is somewhat numbered in playing because of his health. He’s beloved so many hits against him will be a hot button issue for some.

It was a pretty soft roughing call on Rempe too. Last night was such a weird mixture of soft calls that you might expect if the officials were calling the game tight and letting things go that clearly should have been penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad