ECQF/MDSF: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes | Game 7 is Coming | Part 2

Who wins game 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Props to the Canes for sticking to their game plan of heavy forecheck and disciplined defense. PK was great for them and Mrazek was looking good. Now the caps played well for a good portion but didn’t seem to collectively get it together, not sure what is up with Kuznetsov but he’s gotta get going if we want to make another deep run this year, he was a phenom last years playoffs. He has to score on that chance late in the third. I suspect the Oshie injury may wake up the Caps in a sense and Wilson may start to get really physical. Not sure what the lines are going to be but Ovechkin and Backstrom can’t do it all, we need to see some secondary scoring which we saw all year from Connolly, Vrana, and maybe some Burakovsky. I didn’t go to bed quite as pissed as I would of been, well because last year :) , either way I’m kinda glad it’s a series and let’s all be appreciative that we all get to watch some good playoff hockey!

Reactions: Razputyn

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Props to the Canes for sticking to their game plan of heavy forecheck and disciplined defense. PK was great for them and Mrazek was looking good. Now the caps played well for a good portion but didn’t seem to collectively get it together, not sure what is up with Kuznetsov but he’s gotta get going if we want to make another deep run this year, he was a phenom last years playoffs. He has to score on that chance late in the third. I suspect the Oshie injury may wake up the Caps in a sense and Wilson may start to get really physical. Not sure what the lines are going to be but Ovechkin and Backstrom can’t do it all, we need to see some secondary scoring which we saw all year from Connolly, Vrana, and maybe some Burakovsky. I didn’t go to bed quite as pissed as I would of been, well because last year :) , either way I’m kinda glad it’s a series and let’s all be appreciative that we all get to watch some good playoff hockey!
It was Game f'n 4

I keep hearing about this extra gear and that the Caps are about to wake up. But damn, its been 4 games, what the heck are you waiting on?

And maybe that's the thing. Last year the Caps operated under desperation and the desire to do something they hadn't done. They were motivated to get over that hump and win the Cup. This year, they already have it, they spent last summer partying with it, and maybe that 'extra gear' of desire they had in the past is just not going to be there this time around.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
It was Game f'n 4

I keep hearing about this extra gear and that the Caps are about to wake up. But damn, its been 4 games, what the heck are you waiting on?

And maybe that's the thing. Last year the Caps operated under desperation and the desire to do something they hadn't done. They were motivated to get over that hump and win the Cup. This year, they already have it, they spent last summer partying with it, and maybe that 'extra gear' of desire they had in the past is just not going to be there this time around.
I’m not trying to downplay the canes play at all, 2 big wins for you guys at home. The caps are not playing with that same grit as last year so far and are not playing up to the offense they are capable of, they may or may not find it is all I’m saying. That’s why playoff hockey is so great, complete different season. Looking forward to Saturday mate.

Reactions: Razputyn

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
I have said this from the beginning and throw all the crosscheck and fight stuff out the window. The Canes are a team that don't give up and are are a pesky pain in the *** team to play. They are always coming at you no matter what. Going into this series I never thought this series was going to be easy as I never think playoff series are going to be easy because these teams earned there way to the playoffs for a reason and that reason is because they are quality teams. It has already shown with Columbus and it also could easily happen with Colorado. What is sad though is that quality hockey is being overshadowed by two things in this series. Are fans of this great game this damn stupid to let a fight which is part of the game and a crosscheck/board which is also part of the game take over all the greatness of a series? It certainly seems like it. I don't like players from any teams getting injured especially when the intent is to injure, but it is part of the game so we move and the next man on the team hopefully will step it up.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Caps probably take game 5. It's hard to keep this offense in check for 3 games in a row. However, the Canes have done a great job.
Maybe its around time to start acknowledging that the Canes defense might actually just be that good. I mean its not like they're suddenly playing great defensive hockey all of the sudden, they have been doing it all year.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
It's not like it's an outlandish prediction. They'll be playing at home, and could certainly be playing better because of that. Last night's game was close, so a Caps victory isn't some out there concept.

I know it’s not an unlikely scenario. I just find it funny that some posters keep saying the caps will win the next game without giving a reason. They’re going to win just because they’re the caps and the canes can’t hold their offense forever.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I know it’s not an unlikely scenario. I just find it funny that some posters keep saying the caps will win the next game without giving a reason. They’re going to win just because they’re the caps and the canes can’t hold their offense forever.

That's not a bad reason. There's no denying the offensive talent the Caps have, and many have been non-existent in the series, especially at even strength. Much of that has been because of the Carolina defense, but at home, the Caps get the favorable matchups. If those players find their scoring touch next game, the Canes would find it difficult to win it.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Game to game momentum is debatable but the Canes are playing great defensively and it will cary to game 5, but 1 goal from the caps in 6 periods is worrisome. If they don’t get it together at home the series will get away from them.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Game to game momentum is debatable but the Canes are playing great defensively and it will cary to game 5, but 1 goal from the caps in 6 periods is worrisome. If they don’t get it together at home the series will get away from them.

The lack of even-strength production has been surprising to me. Obviously, everyone knows how dangerous the Caps are with the man-advantage, but to have more PP goals than even-strength through 4 games? That doesn't seem right.

Though maybe the Canes can help that out by not taking so many stupid f***ing penalties.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Canes played basically the same game all year and went 0-4 against the Caps.

What changed? I think two things.

One, natural energy of the playoffs favors the Canes style of game. The aggressive forecheck that wasn't quite enough, now is, because they've got that extra bit of go.

Two, I think the Canes have switched it up a bit. When it was 100% forecheck, the Caps were successful making the breakout passes to get opportunities. Now the Canes are picking their spots. Sometimes they'll go hard on the forecheck, and sometimes they'll sit back on the breakout pass. They're making it harder for the Caps to make easy decisions.

That's how it looked from 333, anyway.

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
Even at home I am not going to say it is going to be a cake walk for the Caps. Did anyone else see the sloppy passing from the Caps in the last game? That has to change. Did anyone see how they could not sustain the puck in the offensive zone for more than a few seconds at a time before the Canes got it out of the zone and not being able to put much pressure at all on Mrazek? That has to change. It isn't going to be easy for the Caps. Sure they have the offensive firepower to do it, but they have to make it work as well. I did not see that in the last game and some of it has to do with the Canes D being good. I give credit where credit is due.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->