ECQF/MDSF: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes | Game 7 is Coming | Part 2

Who wins game 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
you think maybe the canes might have something to do with that?

the caps have more talent, no question. but in the playoffs, we know that talent isn't always what wins.
As I said, I think it's a bit of both. It's not like the Canes are winning these games with the Caps going balls to the walls. The caps have looked lazy, disinterested, can't make a pass for their lives. I would place a good amount of the last 2 losses on the Caps themselves.

That in no way discredits the Canes performance, 2 wins is 2 wins, and the Canes have definitely played better overall after 4 games

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Yes , I’m sure he’s totally embarrassed by an 8 year olds sign. And now all Canes fans think he’s an 8 year old.

What was that kid thinking?

Well his parents wrote the sign and they were trying to be funny but to me they made the player they root for look stupid.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Well his parents wrote the sign and they were trying to be funny but to me they made the player they root for look stupid.
No, they really didn’t. The player looks the same today as he did yesterday. Nobody thinks of him any differently, except you who is s fan of an opponent. It’s a stupid little sign and you are trying to make something out of it when there’s nothing to be made.

Razputyn

Feb 24, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I thought the Caps played better in game 4 -- a higher number of high quality chances -- but Mrazek bailed the team out. With a few bad breaks the game could have easily been won by the Caps.

On that note, for most of the second, Carolina had nothing going on... and then Teuvo made the most of a single opportunity, which turned out to be the game-winner. Carolina looked better in the third but it could have easily broke the other way for the first two.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I thought the Caps played better in game 4 -- a higher number of high quality chances -- but Mrazek bailed the team out. With a few bad breaks the game could have easily been won by the Caps.

On that note, for most of the second, Carolina had nothing going on... and then Teuvo made the most of a single opportunity, which turned out to be the game-winner. Carolina looked better in the third but it could have easily broke the other way for the first two.
I agree. Thought the 1st was relatively even, but Caps were much better in the 2nd. Canes looked better for much of the 3rd though, but you are right about breaks could have gone either way.

Neither team was allowing too much other than a couple mistakes on each side,.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
You guys know the higher ratings get, the more likely the NHL sticks with NBC at the end of the TV contract, despite the fact that they literally put playoff games on the Golf Channel and are just incredibly bad at the marketing and production of broadcasted NHL hockey in general.

Sabres! Wild! Wednesday Night Rivalry!

The Canes moving forward and tanking the NBC ratings may be the only way to save the league.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I'm surprised the slightest (actually expected it) how well Warren Foegele has played in these play-offs.

16-17 OHL play-offs for the Otters, he was the OHL & the finals MVP, scored/made tons of key goals/plays
- scored 13 goals (like 7 in the finals) and about 30 points (added another 7 points in 5 M-CUP games).

In those 16-17 play-offs, his skating, physicality & level of intensity in his game, was sublime.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I'm surprised the slightest (actually expected it) how well Warren Foegele has played in these play-offs.

16-17 OHL play-offs for the Otters, he was the OHL & the finals MVP, scored/made tons of key goals/plays
- scored 13 goals (like 7 in the finals) and about 30 points (added another 7 points in 5 M-CUP games).

In those 16-17 play-offs, his skating, physicality & level of intensity in his game, was sublime.

ooo, sublime sounds, like, really good

Reactions: Tryamw and VAcaniac

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Colour me worried now. We're in a slump here. Only Ovi is offering any danger offensively, the rest have been trash. That Kuznetsov chance is a goal every time last year. When we get breaks guys are being forced to the outside because they've got no one busting a ball to get up with them. Our play with possession has been uninspired and predictable. I don't think I've heard Vranas name once. SO many guys are just not showing up. Problem is when you're in a rut like this it's so hard to suddenly just snap out of it and start playing a good game just at the drop of a hat.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
If not for last year I'd be saying "same old Caps" and expecting to lose, probably in 7. As it is, I don't necessarily expect them to flip a switch and close it out, especially without Oshie, but at least I know they can. They need a LOTTTTTTT more from quite a few guys, notably Kuzy who was magical last year. The line combos are a mess and IDK where they go from now without Osh.

Reactions: max21

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Yep... but he was hurt, so they did.

In principle I’d say they should always call plays that are higher chance to cause an injury regardless if it actually injures... the idea being to make players more reluctant to do those plays, rather than just punishing injuries themselves teaching players they can get away with it. Regardless of teams or game context (more so for more serious penalties.)
No. A penalty is a penalty. If you it's not a call when no one is injured, then it shouldn't be called just cuz someone got hurt. Foegele barely hit him as he blew by, and Oshie launched himself into the boards because of his posture at the time. That's why it wasn't called immediately. There was no intent on WF part.

Reactions: AD Skinner
Sep 19, 2008
So I'm going to take my homer glasses off here and attempt to discuss this series reasonably without blatant bias or agenda. Carolina has definitely grinded their way back into the series for sure. Throughout the series, they have played well and hard and given the Caps a true test. They could have easily won any of the first two games but didn't. Now it comes down to game 5. Winner in that match will have a big advantage and the chance to put the series away Game 6.

The series as usual is nail biting for the Capitals, whose fans have largely been accustomed to tense 6 or 7 game series. Carolina was never going to be a pushover. They came into the playoffs with a chip.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So I'm going to take my homer glasses off here and attempt to discuss this series reasonably without blatant bias or agenda. Carolina has definitely grinded their way back into the series for sure. Throughout the series, they have played well and hard and given the Caps a true test. They could have easily won any of the first two games but didn't. Now it comes down to game 5. Winner in that match will have a big advantage and the chance to put the series away Game 6.

The series as usual is nail biting for the Capitals, whose fans have largely been accustomed to tense 6 or 7 game series. Carolina was never going to be a pushover. They came into the playoffs with a chip.

Before the series began, there was a lot of talk about how the Canes would be "just happy to be in the playoffs" and wouldn't be able to win because of it.

But that mentality was coming mostly from the fanbase, who was absolutely just happy to make the playoffs. The players made it clear from Day 1 that their goal wasn't just to make the playoffs, but to go far in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->