GDT: ECQF Game Two: New Jersey Devils vs. Tampa Bay Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Our defense didn't have hold them to 6 shots. They missed the net a lot from their own f*** ups. Our defense caused us to be stuck in out own zone too much. Lovejoy is seriously bad. He's a nice guy, but dude cost us this game, as did Greene. Something something veteran presence playoff experience blah blah.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
was there a post game interview? did MSG have any post game show? (I know the game was on NBC, but when the Rags are on another channel MSG gives them a post game show)

There was but you have to check Twitter. He didn’t say too much.

Said the three issues were

1. Stay out of the box
2. Stop giving them gifts
3. Need better special teams.

Wouldn’t commit on a goalie Monday, but said Cory played well in the third.

He didn’t they they were thoroughly outplayed. Hall said similar things.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
2 perfect deflections on guys left open, one perfect bar down shot on a partial break from a 2 v 1, 1 own goal by our defense... the 5th hit was just a weird play, but again no d.
I wouldn't say his magic ran out when he had no chance on any goal.... 1 stoppable goal in 2 games isn't "running out of magic"

Again, he's given up 9 goals in like 91 minutes. If you're going to make the "timely saves" argument, at least be consistent with it.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
There was but you have to check Twitter. He didn’t say too much.

Said the three issues were

1. Stay out of the box
2. Stop giving them gifts
3. Need better special teams.

Wouldn’t commit on a goalie Monday, but said Cory played well in the third.

He didn’t they they were thoroughly outplayed. Hall said similar things.
Tampa seems to control the game, build up a lead, then coast a little (thats when we look good) I know they're better than us, it'd be nice to win one or two games though

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Tampa seems to control the game, build up a lead, then coast a little (thats when we look good) I know they're better than us, it'd be nice to win one or two games though

It is a different game if we don’t take those dumb penalties or score an own goal.

We made it too easy in the second. All Tampa is really doing is making us pay for every mistake. They aren’t a cream of the crap team that will miss on those gift wrapped opportunities.

Tampa hasn’t put nearly enough volume on net for these scores to be as lopsided as they are.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Look at the bright side, we aren’t the worst team in the playoffs !!! (Leafs)

I didnt think they'd get blown out twice, but I wasnt buying the, "oh the Leafs are going on a run" nonsense you kept hearing.

Why?

Because the hockey media is obligated to spout that **** whether they believe it or not, because the #1 $$$ market for hockey media is the Toronto and the greater Ontario region, and 2nd place isnt in the rear-view mirror.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
I didnt think they'd get blown out twice, but I wasnt buying the, "oh the Leafs are going on a run" nonsense you kept hearing.

Why?

Because the hockey media is obligated to spout that **** whether they believe it or not, because the #1 $$$ market for hockey media is the Toronto and the greater Ontario region, and 2nd place isnt in the rear-view mirror.
Exactly. Most over hyped team in decades

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
So far we've been outclassed but we have not come close to playing our best yet.

If we can, we can put some doubt in TB and that could be a series changer.

So far TB is able to do what they want to do.

Our hockey sense has been sub-par.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Why?

Well that plus everyone's point total in that division is inflated by playing 4.5 horrible teams for 4-5 games apiece (Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa, Montreal, first half Florida). Tampa and Boston are legit title contenders but Toronto looks like a bit of a fraud and Florida padded its second half run with cupcakes.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Hey, who knows. Maybe this becomes the story of Cory's redemption, losing his spot to end the season, then coming in and playing hero when the team needs him most.

That's why I'd go with him personally. Not for the storyline but because, even though he's struggled mightily in 2018, I think Cory's A game is better than Kinkaid's. And even though Kinkaid brought us to the playoffs it's sink or swim time and we need a big game from our goalie on Monday. I think the period in a bit Schnieder played, the fire lit under his ass from being the back-up down the stretch and into these first few games, may be enough for him to turn a corner.

Honestly, I'd have no qualms going with Kinkaid on Monday either. He did bring us here, was excellent down the stretch and the goals he's let in were hardly softies. But I think putting in Cory can also light a fire under the rest of the team, sort of a wake-up call saying they all need to be better.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
I think Cory's A game is better than Kinkaid's.

I agree. That being said Keith is more likely to give you his A game based off of the past month. In the end we need whoever starts to be able to make extra effort saves. Just making the solid saves is not going to be enough against TB combined with our defense.

Even if we clean up the penalties and dumb mistakes there are too many inconsistent defenders on this team to play a team like TB in the playoffs and not get some 10 bell saves from the goaltender. Keith made a ton down the stretch, but not many, if any, in the past 2 games.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
big deal devs have shown good signs each game.

dont get why hynes didnt pull kink after the 3rd goal tho. now you basically have to play cory which could be a good thing. maybe hynes wanted to make the decision easier for himself. horrible coaching once again. i really wonder what a seasoned coach could do with this team.

after the 3rd goal you pull kink to motivate the team. NHL coaching 101. if the team is playing poorly you pull the goalie to send a message. if we end up losing hynes deserves a pink slip.

this team is not out of it and if they advance it will be on them. tampa isnt really all that.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Yeah, I'm actually fine with either guy starting. Kinkaid hasn't stood on his head this series, but he was the guy who got us this far, so if they want to stick with him, I get it. But if they feel now is the time to switch it up and go with Cory, that makes sense too.

Regardless of who plays though the team simply needs to be better. It's one thing to respect Tampa's talent and depth, but you can't let it dictate how you play. Tampa's defensive game is really not that impressive when you pressure them. We just haven't done enough of it so far. Somebody said it earlier, you have to make them earn it.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
must go back to keith. hes been our best goalie and big game goalie this season. the team have not played a solid 60. they cant go down 3-0 so monday is a must win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad