GDT: ECQF GAME 2 - B's blow a 2 goal lead and lose in OT 4-3 - Series tied 1-1

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I hate that argument well Rask was good in game 1 and Marchand scored the GWG in game 1 so it's okay they laid an egg in game 2.

These guys are heavily relied on and paid appropriately and as a fan I don't expect "night offs" especially in the playoffs.. I understand it will happen but should not be expected. I hope there ready Monday because they just gave this Ottawa team a ton of life.

I want these guys to have "it" for 82 games + playoffs, regardless of the size of their paycheque, that`s not reasonable.

Now, that said, I haven`t liked the Bergy line so far but sort of understand what is happening, yep, BM with the late winner in game 1, Bergy with a nice goal yesterday but I`m not seeing enough focus, passes just off the tape etc...

three occasions yesterday afternoon, there were Bruins crisscrossing with one another and getting in each other`s way.

There`s also an aspect that many forget (and I`m guilty of it too), there`s an opponent to play and they have something to say about how a game is played. For two periods yesterday, the B`s were playing a solid roadie, then the Sens came out and played like they had to play to avoid going down 0-2

Can our best/top paid players be better? Absolutely, I think however the biggest issue is there are 9 other forwards who, for the most part in the first two games haven`t done nearly enough to force Boucher and his crew to demand his players focus on them leaving the only real threat of a line being Bergeron`s and even some of the weak sisters in this league can focus enough to limit a team who has only one line who can do damage

Vatrano, great shot and all, needs to be parked, he killed this team yesterday, Beleskey is a waste of a spot on the roster, he**, I`d take 6-8 insulated minutes for JFK or even Hayes, yes Hayes because right now, EVERY play goes to die on the blade of Beleskey

Now, that all sounds horrific but the B`s literally stole one in game 1, deserved none of what they got, I thought they deserved better but were outplayed in game 2 in the 3rd period and now the B`s hold serve, time to deliver on home ice where they have played well under Cassidy

Injuries are mounting too, and I`m one who cringes when I hear teams say the usual "can`t use that as an excuse" BS, which I can accept a touch more if it`s a role player but when those injuries include 2 of your starting 6 D, possibly 3 if Quaider can`t go, and your #2 C, that depth is going to be challenging to overcome for even Cup contending teams, let alone a team who`s trying to do a reboot on the fly

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Injuries may undo this season.

might, this will sound crazy but I cringe when thinking about where this team would be in this series without a 19 year old rookie playing his first 2 games?

No points but man, the kid has been, hands down, the most consistent D-man so far

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

Obviously they can't keep this up,injuries are a big part of how a team does in the playoffs.The year they won the cup ,they managed to,stay pretty healthy other than Horton.The year they went to finals against Hawks the injuries did them in.Pretty early to start with injuries already that's for sure.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I just hope that Carlo and Acciari at the very least are back tomorrow. Maybe we will be fortunate enough to start healing up...but it seems every game there is something new. Chara playing those big minutes is very scary.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

I agree. The last 4 games losong a D man each game. Going with 5.
Chara when he got that penalty had already logged 30 minutes.
Thats far too much. Not only physical effect but you dont make good decisions. No matter what a person does for a job.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Would like to see a replay of Phaneuf keeping that puck in, looked like it might have came out. Surprised that they didn't challenge it, nothing to lose.

Hi from a friendly, inoffensive Sens fan. I thought it was out at the time and was surprised there was no challenge. But the B's hung around at the bench instead of heading straight to the room as they usually would after a loss. I think they were waiting for the coaches to check the replay. I'm guessing it confirmed the non-call.
So both teams have taken a tough loss. Both are hurting on the blueline (especially Boston, ouch), and the series is looking like a long slog. Hope whoever wins has something left for another round. Somebody needs to crush Montreal.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Hi from a friendly, inoffensive Sens fan. I thought it was out at the time and was surprised there was no challenge. But the B's hung around at the bench instead of heading straight to the room as they usually would after a loss. I think they were waiting for the coaches to check the replay. I'm guessing it confirmed the non-call.
So both teams have taken a tough loss. Both are hurting on the blueline (especially Boston, ouch), and the series is looking like a long slog. Hope whoever wins has something left for another round. Somebody needs to crush Montreal.

Coaches can't challenge in OT.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I know Kapanen was a PPG player in the AHL this year... but seeing his performance yesterday for the Leafs I can't help but think that we need to get JFK in the lineup on the bottom two lines. We are not generating much whatsoever... Beleskey has been horrid. Let the kid play. My only concern is that Butch would put JFK in, in favor of Kuraly or someone who I felt has been decent in their role. Bottom line I'd like to see JFK get a shot here as we get back to Boston to add some punch to our bottom 6.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland

Greetings Sens fan and Happy Easter to you and your's. I agree, pretty sure Bruins coaching staff had a look at it. We had game pvr'd and we watched in a few times. Play was onside and so was Bruins 1st goal.

You know, the way I look at it is : this series deserves to be tied. Bruins didn't deserve to win game 1 and they should of won game 2. SO, if it was reversed and Bruins won yesterday, Bruin fans would be a happy bunch.

Ottawa is a good team and certainly no pushover regardless their opposition. Anderson in my opinion was always underrated. He's always been one of my top 3 netminders I would like to have.

I realize Ottawa also has injuries and/or players not 100% but Bruins have 4 defencemen out plus their #2 centre and a great grinder in Accari. Just without Accari has one line messed up.

Just hope neither team has any more injuries cause like our Ottawa friend said, IF Habs win, I want a healthy team up against them!!

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I respect how tight lipped they are about all these injuries. In an era of social media and news, having things locked up this tight is impressive.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
With all these injuries, it's a miracle that we're back in Boston tied 1-1. Happy with the fight the boys have in them. But if we don't get back a sizeable amount of players (I am thinking at least two D. Probably two D and Krejci), we are toast.
Ottawa is rather pathetic. If they go through, NYR/MTL will trounce them.

Count me down as one of the people giving Ottawa way too much credit before the series started. Mostly based on our record vs them in the regular season. They are by far the worst of the 16 teams that made the playoffs.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Thats far too much. Not only physical effect but you dont make good decisions. No matter what a person does for a job.

We're dangerously close to the breaking point now. Only thing in the Bruins favor right now is that Ottawa is such a bad team.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Amazing how Rask is skewered by so many whenever a loss is incurred as if he was the only player on the ice involved in a given play. The ice was severly tilted in the third as the team sagged. The call on Chara was tough and likely a result of being gassed and making a mentale mistake at a critical time.

Lots of good still going on with the team and mission accomplished with a split. Sure it would have been nicer to get both but hey, it is the PO"s and teams don't just roll over and make it easy for you.

This years PO has been brutal for D man with McQuade being our latest. Ottawa's also lost a villan of their blue line and are also taxed with a couple of others far less than 100%. Time for the B's to dip into Probidence to find a guy who can step in a handle the pressure.

Home ice advantage earned now time to capitalize on it come Monday.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Coaches can't challenge in OT.

It's not that they can't challenge, it's that there is no need. All goals in the last minute of the third and anytime in OT are challenged by the league if there is any question of offsides or GI. The Bruins were waiting around to see if this happened.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
It's a shame we let a very winable game get away. I'm still shaking my head when I think about it.

So many if's in this game that could have changed the outcome but at the end of the day I think the biggest if is injuries. If we keep losing a D every game we don't have a chance.

We could point fingers all over the place but I think this was a team loss. The load is just to heavy hold given our injury situation. Players being asked to do things that are above and beyond reasonable.

Hopefully we can start to see some of our "day-to-day" injured players returning because I think it will all catch up with us if we don't get back at least two or three of our injured. Oh , and we also need to stop losing a player every game.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/post-2-post-rask-struggles-for-bruins-1.725637

Jamie McLennan, who we all know is a former NHL goalie and knows way more about goaltending than anyone of us combined, gave rask a 2 yesterday and the headline of the article you can see for yourself. Rask did not cost us the game, he did steal game 1... however, he needed to make a few saves yesterday and he didn't. I'm glad Jamie mentioned one key part to the game winning goal. He had a chance to glove the shot prior to Phaneuf's and muffed it out. If he holds onto that puck it allows the Bruins to reset and potentially have a different ending. Also, he thinks Phaneuf's goal is a goal that should be stopped... and after watching it a dozen times, I have to agree. Did not like goal 2 or goal 4 yesterday.

Again, not trying to **** on Rask, but if he works harder to see around McAvoy (you're gonna get screened in the NHL, it happens, you can't just sit there like "oh **** I can't see", I watched Holtby and Andersen work tooth and nail last night to see around traffic) and find that puck he probably makes an easy save and who knows what the outcome may have been. He seemed to struggle to find the puck on the Phaneuf chance as well, which was also a stoppable shot.

Plenty of blame to go around but I think those attributing zero blame to Tuukka need to reassess a little bit. That was a monumental period and opportunity that the Bruins let slip away yesterday. Hopefully we can ice a healthier team on Monday, survive the game injury free and get a 2-1 lead. Most importantly we need our best players to be our best players. They are leaving something to be desired so far if you ask me. Huge game tomorrow.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004

I love Chara and wish he'd never left Ottawa, so I really wish someone else was taking the heat for the loss. He's 40 years old, played half the game and was wrapping up a very tough shift when the puck went out. And the ice in Ottawa is awful, especially late in periods, so the puck was probably on edge. Bad break, not a dumb play.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Anyone else worried about the Sens momentum from that win? lil concerned here. Scoring first in game 3 is going to be so important. Need to snuff out their confidence.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Obviously they can't keep this up,injuries are a big part of how a team does in the playoffs.The year they won the cup ,they managed to,stay pretty healthy other than Horton.The year they went to finals against Hawks the injuries did them in.Pretty early to start with injuries already that's for sure.

It may always be the greatest factor you have no control over. You can have talent and be hot all at the same time and then injuries derail everything like in 2013

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Anyone else worried about the Sens momentum from that win? lil concerned here. Scoring first in game 3 is going to be so important. Need to snuff out their confidence.

of course, hope this doesn't send the Bruins on a losing streak at the wrong time. This is the streakiest Bruins team Ive ever seen.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I love Chara and wish he'd never left Ottawa, so I really wish someone else was taking the heat for the loss. He's 40 years old, played half the game and was wrapping up a very tough shift when the puck went out. And the ice in Ottawa is awful, especially late in periods, so the puck was probably on edge. Bad break, not a dumb play.

Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him take the penalty but it hit home how much fatigue must be getting to the D, and no one more than Chara.

4th game in a row playing shorthanded. Chara playing 30 minutes at 40 years old, has to be running on fumes. It is what it is, I'm certainly not going to tear him apart for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad