Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 1 - For the FIRST time since March 10th - FREE BEER!!! - B's 4 Whalercanes 3 F/2OT

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Actual the challenge was called for a hand pass since the goalie touched the puck there wasn't a hand pass. If the challenge was because the ref should have blown the play dead it could have been no goal.
No. You cannot challenge because you think a play should have been blown dead.lol that is not reviewable.

Reactions: Maine Fan and BMC

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Kase is slippery wet. Probably next only to Pastrnak in that regard. Just seems to weave through congested areas with ease. Very encouraging.

If DeBrusk were "on", he'd have a hat trick this afternoon and the game would have not made it to OT. Again, think it has to do with presence of Kase. Pace is everything. Krejci was also very good.... and had his legs for the most part. As usual, kicks it into another gear when it matters.

Bergeron line has been progressively getting better. Still the most talented trio in the game IMO. Maybe one day, with a little work, they can grow up to be as good as Aho and Co.

Chara struggles. I get very nervous when the puck is around him and he's being pressured. Everyone needs to be aware when he's on the ice. Understandably so, not in mid-season form.

Don't know what to make of Ritchie. He's basically a younger Backes for this team..... Can't keep up. All right in front of the net and below the goal line winning battles. Everywhere else non-factor..... or liability.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
So now that I've followed up on it seems that first, there was a hand pass which was followed by Mrazek covering the puck. Brindamour claims he was told he either needed to challenge it based on the Bruins pushing the puck out from under his glove which would be goaltender interference or the hand pass but they wouldn't tell him which one.

None of this makes sense to me. The hand pass can't even be reviewed - can it? And maybe the refs were slow to whistle the play dead. Sucks but its not like thats an irregular occurrence. And I haven't still seen an angle that shows Mrazek having full possession.

It was a confusing sequence of events and it sounds like the refs weren't totally sure what was going on either but im not sure how you can say it wasn't a good goal.
This year they now allow a challenge that a play should have been blown dead due to hand pass or hitting the mesh (which now cant happen anyway because there is none.) RBM had to either challenge hand pass or goalie interference of which neither occurred so he was going to lose no matter what he did

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Dafoomie's highlights got blocked by the NHL on YouTube. :(

I don't get NESN and wanted to hear Jack & Brick. :(
I noticed that too, and hopefully that doesn't discourage dafoomie from posting videos.

In this instance, the NHL posted similar content, so they likely had his blocked.

Dafoomie's was twice as long, but here it is. It was good for my soul hearing Edwards and Brickley after five months. I really missed both of them.

I'm not certain, but do I recall Fenway saying they called the game remotely back in Boston? If so, they didn't miss a beat.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I noticed that too, and hopefully that doesn't discourage dafoomie from posting videos.

In this instance, the NHL posted similar content, so they likely had his blocked.

Dafoomie's was twice as long, but here it is. It was good for my soul hearing Edwards and Brickley after five months. I really missed both of them.

I'm not certain, but do I recall Fenway saying they called the game remotely back in Boston? If so, they didn't miss a beat.

Yup - they do it from Boston, or the NESN studios in Watertown. It looks like a broom closet - NESN was
more generous with the 3 Red Sox announcers. A lot of the RSNs have their guys in the empty hockey arena, but according to Fenway the furloughs at TD Garden keep Jack and Brick from doing it there. It's also keeping Ron Poster from playing his organ music and having it pumped into Toronto.

Kudos to them - I agree that Jack didn't seem to miss a beat at all.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Yup - they do it from Boston, or the NESN studios in Watertown. It looks like a broom closet - NESN was
more generous with the 3 Red Sox announcers. A lot of the RSNs have their guys in the empty hockey arena, but according to Fenway the furloughs at TD Garden keep Jack and Brick from doing it there. It's also keeping Ron Poster from playing his organ music and having it pumped into Toronto.

Kudos to them - I agree that Jack didn't seem to miss a beat at all.
Thanks for that!

I would think there would be one or two instances in which Jack may have missed the play if he's at the mercy of a television feed, but he was right on.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
So I don't know why I waited until 1 am to start watching the game.... :help:

But

Kase....wow. If he keeps that up, I'm his newest fan.

Nordy is a gamer.

I still hate Edmundsen who just scored :mad:. But your time's coming, buddy...

Carolina has some cheap punks.
I was surprised to see the Canes outhitting the B's. They've got some new faces, but their rep in recent years hasn't been that of a nasty team.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
The call on the ice was a goal.

Not a hand pass or possession by goalie.

The ref is correct, Brind'Amour needs to challenge one or the other.
Yeah, that was my immediate reaction too. There was no “call” for the refs to clarify so he’s just barking up an imaginary tree here. If he wants to be upset that’s fine but he doesn’t make himself look good with that angle.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That was a fight to start the playoffs

Boston will/can improve with getting more real games under their belt, Carolina will improve by adding talent into their roster.
Should be a fast entertaining series

Kase grew on me as the game went on, on top of his usual skating and being a bit everywhere started to show his offensive skills

Rask will improve which will be huge

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Screen-Shot-2020-08-13-at-7.38.34-AM.png

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
On McAvoy, I thought these numbers were interesting

Player
Position
TOI
CF% With
CF% Without
SF% With
SF% Without
GF% With
GF% Without
xGF% With
xGF% Without
Zdeno Chara​
D​
18​
50.00​
78.38​
54.55​
81.82​
0​
75.00​
43.32​
84.71​
Matt Grzelcyk​
D​
13​
75.00​
56.41​
80.00​
61.54​
75.00​
0​
82.77​
51.36​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
His numbers with without Chara are night and day.

That confirms the eye test. He was an absolute beast when he was out with Grz yesterday

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Is that what they’re complaining about?

I actually don’t understand the controversy. There has to be something to this argument with weight. Like to me? It was an obvious goal and braindead challenge. But there must be something I’m not getting.

Totally agree but theres plenty of people who agree with Rod... but it definitely wasn't a hand pass or high stick, and he had his glove on the puck for like .25 seconds before it was swatted out... enough possession to cancel the hand pass/high stick, but not to get a whistle. The end. I do think the explanation Brindamour got was BS but still, that's a goal.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Pasta, though, needs to stop making those ill-advised cross-ice passes at the blue line on the PP. It's not the first time he's been guilty of that.

He made a ton of those passes yesterday... and was credited with.... ZERO giveaways.... meanwhile McAvoy was damn near flawless and was credited with 5 giveaways... crazy stuff

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Mrzak is their #1 goaltender. I don't see why they wouldn't play him especially with Reimer as his back up

Reimer is better at positional saves while Mrazek has a bad habit of sliding while moving. You see this in technicolor on the Bergeron goal.
Reimer also has a good history against the Bruins.

So there is an argument with going to him over Mrazek, but I dont think you sink your main goaltenders confidence by dumping him after one game. Bruce is not gonna do that to Rask either. I would be stunned to see Halak in tonight. Game 3? Could be Reimer vs. Halak, but not game 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad