Series Talk: ECQF: Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Islanders (CAR Leads 3-1)

CAR vs NYI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
The other series that should be over fast. Carolina is way too strong this year for them to lose to the Islanders. Unless Sorokin/Varlamov come out and steal this series, it should be Canes in 5.

Reactions: IronCladCane

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
The other series that should be over fast. Carolina is way too strong this year for them to lose to the Islanders. Unless Sorokin/Varlamov come out and steal this series, it should be Canes in 5.
Agreed but this season I'm not even sure insane goalie play will save them the Canes are gonna throw 35+ shots on net, Jordan Staal is going to shut down their top line....

I don't see them scoring more than 2 4 times

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Agreed but this season I'm not even sure insane goalie play will save them the Canes are gonna throw 35+ shots on net, Jordan Staal is going to shut down their top line....

I don't see them scoring more than 2 4 times
Yea it sure looks like that, but I'll be more confident in that belief after seeing game 1.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
The cleverest trick of Devil's was to convince people he don't exist, it is known, but after that the second cleverest trick was the malicious people making the populace adopt this saying.
Except tricking malicious people into believing they've tricked people into believing the saying is still 1 more clever than them.

• Wow
Reactions: Lempo

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Unless I'm very mistaken, if they match up Staal it will be against the Nelson line, not the Hovat line. It's what Brind'Amour has done in the past.
I'd agree, and I think Brind'Amour may try to match Aho vs Horvat. I'd be curious if that's how it shook out in the head-to-head this year as I'm just going from my hazy memory.

Reactions: cptjeff

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I'd agree, and I think Brind'Amour may try to match Aho vs Horvat. I'd be curious if that's how it shook out in the head-to-head this year as I'm just going from my hazy memory.
Can't tell you about regular season. Bu oh do I know about that Staal-Nelson matchup, which hasn't been good for our guys.

It'll interesting to see whether the Hurricanes will be able to dominate the series without help from the guys in stripes.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Isn't there a quote from Barzal the person he hates to play against the most is Staal? I thought that came in the playoffs.
Probably. I think the context was that he gets away with holding, which is true.

One thing that has changed (idk why it has changed, but it has), is refs vendetta against Barzal appears to be over.

I think Staal is an overrated factor at this point imo. Mobility on defense vs NYI's inability to cover the upper part of the defensive zone are bigger issues. On line 2 you have Palmieri & Fasching who *both* can't cover their area effectively. On line 3 Lee can't (Engvall can). On line 4, Clutterbuck and Martin can't either. If NYI fight Canes to a draw down low, they still lose.

Last edited:

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
A play in round is inevitable as this is the lowest percentage of teams making the playoffs that they’ve had in sometime and would also make the end of the regular season a lot more interesting than it currently is
I don't like it for hockey - anything can happen in a single game. Would be crap for the #9 or #10 seed to sneak into the playoffs because their goalie stood on their head in playins, only to get smoked by the top seed teams.

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
Hate this matchup, would have loved to have drawn Rangers first. IMO Canes best team in the league. So much speed and the Guentzal acquisition is huge.

Not as lopsided as records may suggest though. Isles a very different team under Roy.

2019 Series Isles never recovered from 2 questionable called off goals in game one. Sorokin was less than stellar last year in 2 of the losses, especially Game 2. Isles dropped all the OT games over the past 2 series.

Liking the Varley-Roy connection. It's really sparked the team. Guy has been lights out and inspired under his former and present coach. Must continue for Isles to have a chance. Need a healthy Dobson too to have an effective PP.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Tricky team Islanders, but think Canes got themselves enough offensive power this time around. This should be physical series, and looking forward to watching, but it's so hard to read tea leaves. Canes offense better be on.....

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Even if Sorokin finds last years form I don't think it will be enough for the Isles we beat you in 6 with freaking MacKenzie Mckeathern on Ahos wing the Canes ability to score is much greater than last year...
These are the players the Canes didn't have last season when we played you.

Guentzel
Svechnikov
Teravainen
Orlov
Anderson

And Jarvis has made a huge leap up to being a 33 goal scorer (honestly if Rod hadn't glued him to Staal for half the season he probably would have gotten 40)

Every one of these is a massive upgrade over what we trotted out agaist the Isles last season.... couple that with Sorokins poor year and yes I'd be shocked if this series was close.... on the scoreboard or otherwise.
Sorokin won't be playing. If he is, that means the series is already over.

Are the Hurricanes a group of softies?

Look to this statistics:

Hits:
6. Islanders - 2062
32. Hurricanes - 1383

Blocked shots:
1. Islanders - 1552
32. Hurricanes - 937
Both of those are just indications of how much more the other team has the puck.

Reactions: Summer Rose

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It’s like a slightly more spectacular version of teams playing each other. Could be a slog fest. But the winner could also make some noise.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
The Isles are the bottom seeded team that nobody really would’ve wanted to play — the Canes are the team in the league that absolutely nobody wants to play. They’re f***ing good.

Obviously I want to see the Isles win, and I think it’ll be a 6/7 game series, but the Canes do everything at an elite level.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Fun fact: only two of this year's playoff coaches from the East have won the Jack Adams. Roy and Brind'Amour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad