Series Talk: ECQF: Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Islanders (CAR Leads 3-1)

CAR vs NYI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
You Carolina fans sure talk a big game. Better hope your team backs it up.
As an Isles fan, I personally believe Carolina might be the best team in the league. With that said their fans are beyond cocky. I mean you would think the Isles were the Ducks or Sharks the way they believe they will just stomp us in 4 straight games. Maybe wait until you win the first two games before acting like there is no point to the Isles even showing up for the games.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
No one will mistake them for the broad street bullies.

They also give up a lot less shots so there are less to block.
Also the Canes hit less because they possess the puck 55-60% of the time. That might seem like only a small edge, but a 60/40 possession split means you have the puck a 1.5 to 1 ratio of the time. You don't hit if you have the puck.

Also the Canes' MO on defense is to play the man and make poke checks and win board battles. Their defense excels at getting puck out of trouble, not at clocking guys to knock the puck off the player. The Islanders are definitely way more physical, true. But hits correlate much less to winning than shots on goal and scoring chances.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Are the Hurricanes a group of softies?

Look to this statistics:

Hits:
6. Islanders - 2062
32. Hurricanes - 1383

Blocked shots:
1. Islanders - 1552
32. Hurricanes - 937
Misleading stat as it is heavily heavily impacted by zone time/possession. It's not remotely surprising that the team that has the puck the most has the least hits and blocked shots. Can't hit someone when you have the puck and can't block a shot if you don't even allow the other team to get shot attempts.

Canes middle of the pack in terms of team toughness I'd say.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
This schedule is terrible:
Game 1: Islanders at Hurricanes -- Saturday, 5 p.m. ET (TBS, truTV, MAX, SN360, TVAS, MSGSN, BSSO, SNW, SNE, SNP)
Game 2: Islanders at Hurricanes -- April 22, 7:30 p.m. ET (ESPN2, SN360, TVAS)
Game 3: Hurricanes at Islanders -- April 25, 7:30 p.m. ET (ESPN2, SN360, TVAS)
Game 4: Hurricanes at Islanders -- April 27, 2 p.m. ET (TBS, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
Game 5: Islanders at Hurricanes -- April 30, TBD
Game 6: Hurricanes at Islanders -- May 2, TBD
Game 7: Islanders at Hurricanes -- May 4, TBD

paragon

May 5, 2010
On paper this should be the most lopsided playoff series in first round.

Look to this statistics:

Hits:
6. Islanders - 2062
32. Hurricanes - 1383

Blocked shots:
1. Islanders - 1552
32. Hurricanes - 937
Hitting a player without the puck is interference. Not going to blocking a ton of shots either while you carry the puck.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
Also "Bless your heart" are not words of kindness, if someone here says that to you its the equivalent of saying "what a dumbass".

I'm originally from Cleveland, took me a while to understand that fact.
Indeed, when addressing someone directly, blessing their heart in this manner serves the same purpose as when those of us from places like Minnesota or Ohio give someone a big "Midwestern FU smile".

The real genius of the Southern Idiom, however, is its other application with regards to someone who's not present: "Bless his/her heart" is invested with the power to grant any self-respecting Southern woman immediate absolution for committing the Polite Society sin of speaking poorly-of, or gossiping about, someone behind their back. So immediate, in fact, it's as if the breach of etiquette never occurred, thus, those who are present needn't feel bad in the telling, listening intently to, or repeating every juicy, scandalous detail as long as once the storytelling is complete and all the sordidness of the subject laid bare, someone utters the requisite "Bless her heart". It's just that magical and handy of an invention.

Guys don't really use the latter application though, because we aren't sophisticated enough to have developed such niceties and nuanced social interaction. We need to be trained like whipped mules to remember to close the toilet seat lid and not use the decorative towels in the bathroom, so how are we supposed to remember, let alone care, to say "Bless his heart" after the 100th time we talked shit about someone that day?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Olliemets

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
This schedule is terrible:
Game 1: Islanders at Hurricanes -- Saturday, 5 p.m. ET (TBS, truTV, MAX, SN360, TVAS, MSGSN, BSSO, SNW, SNE, SNP)
Game 2: Islanders at Hurricanes -- April 22, 7:30 p.m. ET (ESPN2, SN360, TVAS)
Game 3: Hurricanes at Islanders -- April 25, 7:30 p.m. ET (ESPN2, SN360, TVAS)
Game 4: Hurricanes at Islanders -- April 27, 2 p.m. ET (TBS, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
Game 5: Islanders at Hurricanes -- April 30, TBD
Game 6: Hurricanes at Islanders -- May 2, TBD
Game 7: Islanders at Hurricanes -- May 4, TBD
You've posted a schedule that cites only the day of the week for Game 1 (Saturday) with no corresponding date. However, for Games 2-7 you give dates while omitting any reference to day of the week. Why the sudden, inexplicable shift in format, neither of which contain both day/date as one would expect?

This is so highly irregular as to be suspicious. Are you trying to trick us? It won't work.

Last edited:

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
You've posted a schedule that cites only the day of the week for Game 1 (Saturday) with no corresponding date. Inexplicably, however, for Games 2-7 you give dates while omitting any reference to day of the week. Why the sudden, inexplicable shift in format, neither of which contain both day/date as one would expect?

This is so highly irregular as to be suspicious. Are you trying to trick us? It won't work.
That was the schedule I saw online. It was straight copy and paste. Blame the NHL for their wonderful format:

2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs 1st-round schedule | NHL.com

Reactions: cptjeff

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The NHL, well that figures, and just proves the adage "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
The cleverest trick of Devil's was to convince people he don't exist, it is known, but after that the second cleverest trick was the malicious people making the populace adopt this saying.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

Look to this statistics:

Hits:
6. Islanders - 2062
32. Hurricanes - 1383

Blocked shots:
1. Islanders - 1552
32. Hurricanes - 937
As many have said, this is about having the puck. Canes have it, work a lot of low to high with pinches. NYI scores best off counters.

And as a NYI fan one of the things I'm concerned about is simply the volume of shots NYI may block, and what that does to them physically.

As for hits... Well they're not all the same. Clutterbuck doesn't deliver the fearsome hits he used to. Romanov doesn't go out of his way to hit, but he can be downright scary.

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
As an Isles fan, I personally believe Carolina might be the best team in the league. With that said their fans are beyond cocky. I mean you would think the Isles were the Ducks or Sharks the way they believe they will just stomp us in 4 straight games. Maybe wait until you win the first two games before acting like there is no point to the Isles even showing up for the games.
In fairness the win differential between the Canes and Isles is larger than the differential between the Isles and Ducks....

13>12

Look to this statistics:

Hits:
6. Islanders - 2062
32. Hurricanes - 1383

Blocked shots:
1. Islanders - 1552
32. Hurricanes - 937
Probably because the Canes average twice there opponents offensive zone time.... static defense and blocking shots also isn't our game zone denial is.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

Look to this statistics:

Hits:
6. Islanders - 2062
32. Hurricanes - 1383

Blocked shots:
1. Islanders - 1552
32. Hurricanes - 937

Hard to hit and block shots when you're the one with the puck.

So SO many of the traditional stats are useless without proper context.

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
I'm not sure about that as much as I am that if this series goes 6 or 7 that either Sorokin magically found last year's form, or that the Canes suffered some catastrophic injuries.
Even if Sorokin finds last years form I don't think it will be enough for the Isles we beat you in 6 with freaking MacKenzie Mckeathern on Ahos wing the Canes ability to score is much greater than last year...
These are the players the Canes didn't have last season when we played you.

Guentzel
Svechnikov
Teravainen
Orlov
Anderson

And Jarvis has made a huge leap up to being a 33 goal scorer (honestly if Rod hadn't glued him to Staal for half the season he probably would have gotten 40)

Every one of these is a massive upgrade over what we trotted out agaist the Isles last season.... couple that with Sorokins poor year and yes I'd be shocked if this series was close.... on the scoreboard or otherwise.

Reactions: cptjeff

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Looked into this series a little more, specifically wanted to get a better understanding of how these 2 teams performed at 5-on-5 h2h. In a 115 minute sample size across 4 games with the score within 1, it's really not pretty. Canes had a CF% of 67.58, FF% of 64.52 and an xGF% of 64.11. The season series was 2-2, but looks like the way the Canes played was more sustainable.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
In fairness the win differential between the Canes and Isles is larger than the differential between the Isles and Ducks....
Canes had 23 regulation losses. Islanders had 27. Ducks had 50.

So, I kinda hope the Canes compare the Islanders to the Ducks in terms of wins. Underestimating NYI could be the best chance NYI have to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad