Series Talk: ECQF: Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Islanders (CAR Leads 3-1)

CAR vs NYI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
Palmieri's slash was stupid, and selfish. He lost it in frustration.

NYI obviously can't afford to do that with their PK, and they all know it. But like the idea that the Islanders are this team with players who intend to injure... It's bizarre. The Islanders?
Well, now that we saw Martin butt end punch Kotkaniemi who was down on the ice after the whistle, and then Clutterbuck come up and sucker punch him, while the linesman was helping him up??

Yeah intent to injure (because they couldn't control their feelings after blowing the lead).

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I didn't think Reilly was in the league, but once I saw him for the Islanders you pretty much knew they were done.

And yes, I've seen him play for my Habs, for the sens and for the Bruins and he f***ing sucks.

It was a hard, uphill battle to begin with, but if he's 1 of the best 6 d you have and there isn't injuries your team isn't that good.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Losses like that one are demoralizing. Alot of times a game like that there’s no turning back from. Looking like a very short series as I expected.

I've learned in postseason play the only guarantee that a team is done in a series after a tough loss is when it occurs in like 3 or 4 OTs. We saw that with Carolina last year for example and there is a few others like that because probably the fatigue factor magnifies when you were on the losing end. The Isles were never winning more than 1-2 games in this series anyway and they probably still end up winning 1 at home. I think if you're Carolina now the key is to not get too confident because that did seem to happen to them last year in game 5 up 2-1...if they do that on the road up 2-0 this series will be 3-1 by the mid point of the game Thursday

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I didn't think Reilly was in the league, but once I saw him for the Islanders you pretty much knew they were done.

And yes, I've seen him play for my Habs, for the sens and for the Bruins and he f***ing sucks.

It was a hard, uphill battle to begin with, but if he's 1 of the best 6 d you have and there isn't injuries your team isn't that good.
He was our number 8 with injuries to Ekblad and Montour to start the year, played less than 5 games then was picked up off waivers.

He is just a guy

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
The score would have been much worse with him. My son and I have taken to calling him Sir Choken

Or themselves!
I actually kinda feel for you guys I think it's gonna be Sorkin game 3.
I think you guys would have done much better vs the rags this is just a ridiculous mismatch...

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Canes Twitter has no mercy lol they’re torching us
Can you blame them?

Meltdown of historic proportions for the isles. This game will be a stain on the franchise. 81-0 when leading by 3 in the postseason prior to this debacle.

Just put us out of our misery already

Last edited:
Reactions: Stickpucker

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I actually kinda feel for you guys I think it's gonna be Sorkin game 3.
I think you guys would have done much better vs the rags this is just a ridiculous mismatch...
Game 1 was not a mismatch. In fact, the Islanders controlled the majority of that game. Game 2 was obviously, well... no comment lol. But even with dominating virtually all game, the Islanders hung in there and almost eked it out.

Carolina is clearly the superior team (and fun to watch) but it's not like they won the first two games 8-0. It's the playoffs. Most games are close and tight. So far the Canes have held serve at home but it's only two games. Now you gotta take it on the road. Doesn't take much for the tide to turn in a series, and we've all seen upsets happen. Better hope this doesn't go south for your team or you will end up looking foolish.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Don't remember the last time if ever I've seen a team with less than 20% corsi 5v5, and the Canes had 5 power plays to 1 to boot, haha

My guess is they ride the momentum to game 3 and then the question just is can the Isles avoid the sweep.

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
Game 1 was not a mismatch. In fact, the Islanders controlled the majority of that game. Game 2 was obviously, well... no comment lol. But even with dominating virtually all game, the Islanders hung in there and almost eked it out.

Carolina is clearly the superior team (and fun to watch) but it's not like they won the first two games 8-0. It's the playoffs. Most games are close and tight. So far the Canes have held serve at home but it's only two games. Now you gotta take it on the road. Doesn't take much for the tide to turn in a series, and we've all seen upsets happen. Better hope this doesn't go south for your team or you will end up looking foolish.
The Isles were hot coming in... I was ice level for game one it was readily apparent the difference in speed between the teams... but when crunch time came the Canes forced their style (heavy ozone pressure and forcheck) on them and won the game...

Game two yeah 52 minutes with no shots.... the most insane ozone pressure I've ever seen.....

Honestly you could take both games in new york again it wouldn't change the expected outcome of this series in my book.

That said realistically I see one of two outcomes happening the Isles somehow gut check it and eek out game 3.... or the more likely option IMO game two gets to their heads and they goon it up in game 3 and it quickly spirals into a loss that puts them on the brink.

The Canes are 3-3 on the NYI ice in the post season....and 7-0 at home.

Don't remember the last time if ever I've seen a team with less than 20% corsi 5v5, and the Canes had 5 power plays to 1 to boot, haha

My guess is they ride the momentum to game 3 and then the question just is can the Isles avoid the sweep.
It was 3 PPs in reality the final double was the last minute when the game was 5-3

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The Isles were hot coming in... I was ice level for game one it was readily apparent the difference in speed between the teams... but when crunch time came the Canes forced their style (heavy ozone pressure and forcheck) on them and won the game...

Game two yeah 52 minutes with no shots.... the most insane ozone pressure I've ever seen.....

Honestly you could take both games in new york again it wouldn't change the expected outcome of this series in my book.

That said realistically I see one of two outcomes happening the Isles somehow gut check it and eek out game 3.... or the more likely option IMO game two gets to their heads and they goon it up in game 3 and it quickly spirals into a loss that puts them on the brink.

The Canes are 3-3 on the NYI ice in the post season....and 7-0 at home.

It was 3 PPs in reality the final double was the last minute when the game was 5-3
Game one was there for the taking for the Islanders. That's the missed opportunity. Had they taken advantage of more scoring chances (like they did in game 2) they could've got the W. Oh well. Yes I agree, Isles could win games 3 and 4 and still lose the series. But if it is tied 2-2, it won't be the epic mismatch you're making it out to be. Islanders don't really have any goons but I do expect a more physical game Thursday. BTW, thought Carolina played a pretty physical game last night. Finished their checks all game long and laid some vicious hits.

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
Game one was there for the taking for the Islanders. That's the missed opportunity. Had they taken advantage of more scoring chances (like they did in game 2) they could've got the W. Oh well. Yes I agree, Isles could win games 3 and 4 and still lose the series. But if it is tied 2-2, it won't be the epic mismatch you're making it out to be. Islanders don't really have any goons but I do expect a more physical game Thursday. BTW, thought Carolina played a pretty physical game last night. Finished their checks all game long and laid some vicious hits.
By "gooning" I meant more letting frustration through and committing dumb penalties. I tip my cap to that the Canes aren't a team afraid of contact their style just offers less opportunity to hit.

The mismatch I'm talking about isn't gonna show up as a dominating goal differential it's more that the Canes have the ability to play their absolute worst and still beat the Islanders, it's more that the Islanders need their absolute best game and the Canes absolute worst to win at this point. The Canes won't quit no matter what the score is they will make you pay for every mistake.

I'm probably overly optimistic I just have a team of destiny feel for this team.

Reactions: cptjeff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad